PDA

View Full Version : speech eval - on my son is he delayed or excitable?

JulieL
12-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Ok seeing the other post made me want to ask a question about my own son. Anthony is now a little over 2 1/2 years old. He talks absolutely all the time. A lot of times he does babble, but he can say quite long sentances when he wants to. For instance:

I want to go outside.
Where is my green cup.
Mommy go to store later.

and so on.

He also knows a ton of words. When reading he can recite many of his favorite books pretty well. Well he started preschool this fall and his teachers told me they have a hard time understanding him. Now his preschool is excellent and his teachers have been working there at that school for about 12 years each. So I know they would notice something that was unusual for his age. I talked to them and told them that when he gets excited (which can happen at the drop of a hat) he babbles a million words and makes no sense at all. So they recommended that he get evaluated. A speech therapist comes to his school so she evaluated him last week. I am still waiting for her to mail me the eva (getting a little annoyed too), but the school director did say she did have concerns about him and to look for the letter. My take is he is normal but just is lazy when he is excited. I mean not every child his age talks in complete sentances all the time. So what do you think, anyone deal with this with their child? Did any techniques help slow him/her down? Any advice would be great. I looked at the links on delay warnings and didn't see anything that flagged Anthony so I really don't know what to think.

egoldber
12-02-2004, 03:16 PM
It certainly does not sound like he is delayed in terms of expressive speech. But articulation is a different issue. But honestly, the speech therapist who worked with DD told me they did not even start articulation work until age 3. My DD had very few words and only 1-2 words sentences until she was almost 3. And then practically overnight she started talking in longer sentences and her articulation became much clearer.

I will be curious to hear what the SLP who evaluated him thinks.