PDA

View Full Version : Another question from a first-timer...

mommy_someday
12-02-2004, 08:20 PM
I feel a little silly asking this in such a public forum, but, *deep breath*... I had a check-up with the OB today (33 weeks) and according to the ultrasound, the baby is very ahead of schedule in the weight department - more than 90%. His projected weight is around nine to ten pounds or so and he's on target for a baby due nearly three weeks prior to my due date. My OB was really pushing me to deliver two weeks early, but I want as natural a birth as possible, meaning that I DO NOT want to be induced. I asked him if I had any other options; he said the only other option is the "three W's" (walking, waiting, and whoopie) to get my cervix to ripen ahead of schedule. My question is at what point are we supposed to START doing this in order to deliver two weeks early? I appreciate any feedback from all of you seasoned moms out there!

TIA!

californiagirl
12-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Honestly, if it were me, what I'd do at this point is get a new OB. Ultrasound projections of weight are notoriously unreliable in both directions, and inducing two weeks early for weight is not conservative current medical practice. If you want as natural a birth as possible, you don't sound like a great match for this OB. (I had a friend ditch an OB for exactly this reason. He told her she'd end up with a C-section. She ended up with a perfectly fine vaginal delivery 10 days overdue and just under 9 lbs. With a midwife. She changed at 35 weeks.)

JMS
12-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi.
I had a lot of ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy b/c of possible complications (that luckily did not occur). Towards the end of my 3rd timester, the ultrasounds techs and Perinatologists all predicted a big baby, in the 9-10 pound range, although they always included the disclaimer that weight estimates could be off by as much as 10% either way. Well, long story short, I delivered a healthy 7 pound 12 ounce baby girl 5 days after my due date.

So, take those estimates with a large grain of salt, especially if it's your first baby. I know a PP recommended possibly getting a new OB. Maybe atleast consult with another doctor in the practice, if possible. Good Luck!

himom
12-02-2004, 11:51 PM
First off, don't be afraid to ask questions here. In my memory we've gotten into discussions about episiotomies, tears, vaginal exams, dilating, condoms, and you-name-it. :)

I would be very wary of an OB forcing you to give birth early based on projected weight, especially since you have already expressed a natural birth preference to him. First of all, projected weight can be way, way off. (My DS was supposedly 9 pounds at 38 weeks and I was told he was gaining continuously and would be a big boy. He was born 3 weeks later at 7 pounds exactly.) Secondly, Mamas have big babies all the time with little or no more trouble than an average baby birth.

From what I've heard, many OBs like to have babies arrive in a manner that does not disrupt their schedules. Maybe he's got a vacation planned around your due date? Possibly an intense desire for a full 8 hours every night uninterrupted by possible births? :(

Bottom line, don't let him force you into anything you're uncomfortable with. You're in charge! Okay, enough unsolicited advice.

For your real question: the baby's going to come when your body and the baby are ready. Walking, etc is fine to start now, but nothing is guaranteed to get him out until he's good and ready. Starting now or doing it at 38 weeks will get you the same results. Walking is good for you, though!

Jodi

jubilee
12-03-2004, 02:17 AM
I have two sons that were in the high range- #1 was 9 lbs 13 oz and my #2 was 9 lbs 9 oz. My first was a natural childbirth- meaning not induced and no pain meds. My second was with inducion and epidural, by my choice. I don't think changing OBs is the answer unless you just don't like the OB for other reasons. Having a big baby is totally do-able by natural methods... as long as you have a body that will allow for that, and I doubt anyone could be 100% sure on that until delivery time. My OB with my first son was surprised he was that big, my OB with my second son was absolutely on target with his estimate (and he guessed by simply feeling my belly with his hands). I completely encourage you to go with the natural childbirth since that is what you desire!! If you want a slight "help" at 38 weeks, ask your doc to strip your membraines- that could send you into labor and is a lot less intervention than some methods. As for the Three-W's, I'd say get hot and heavy around 37 weeks :) Have fun and enjoy these last days of pregnancy!

tippy
12-03-2004, 02:28 AM
I had gestational diabetes and was monitored daily in my last few weeks of pregnancy. Dr was soooo worried that DS was going to be a big baby but after all was said and done he was 6lb 7oz. Way off from the ultrasounds. Also, the reason for the whoopee is that there is something in seamen that helps to ripen the cervix. Have fun!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

MMEand1
12-03-2004, 08:25 AM
With my DS, we had to have a c-section 2 weeks early due to a few complications. About 2-3 days before the scheduled c-section, the ultrasound showed our child to be not quite 5 pounds and the docs told us that he may have to stay at the hospital for a bit until he bulked up. Luckily, he came out a "huge" 7 lbs 4 oz and was ready to go home with us with no extended hospital stay. I am not a very big person (5'7 and about 110 lbs - pre-pregnancy, of course) and no one expected me to have an average size baby.

I would just do what you think is best for both you and the baby. If you do not feel comfortable going early, then don't. They can't force you to have a baby early if that is not what you want. When the time is right for your baby to be born, s/he will let you know!!

Good luck! I am also due Jan 18!
Mariah P.

babymama
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
If you can get your husband to go for a little action in the bedroom *and* you're ready to potentially go into labor you should go for it. My DH wouldn't come near me during the last few months. I basically begged one morning, and that sent my right into labor. It could be a coincidence, but my contractions began about an hour after the fun. About 7 hours later, we were holding our new baby.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Joshuasmommy
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't let the OB pressure you into an early induction, especially not from a 33week ultrasound. I went into labor on my own 9 days after my due date, no amount of walking or sex helped me. And I still ended up with a c-section. Bottom line is that baby will come when he/she is ready and I think you are right to not want to force it.

steph2003
12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have another little action in the bedroom story :)

At 37 weeks I started taking evening primrose capsules at the suggestion of my doula & blessing of my midwife. Some have shown this can help soften the cervix. At 38 weeks my DH & I had intercourse & my son was born 13 days early via natural childbith - total labor/delivery 7 hours from the time my water broke. Again, coincidence? I don't know....but you better believe I'll be doing the same with the 2nd! :)

mommy_someday
12-04-2004, 08:44 PM
First of all, thanks for all of your advice. Some of the posts gave me a bit of a laugh, which is always welcomed!

I have had reservations about my OB almost since the get-go as he is very, VERY unconventional. It hadn't been anything major until the appointment when he said my baby would be huge - he even wrote the diagnosis of macrosomia (birth weight more than 9 lbs 15 oz) in my chart, which from what I found online can't actually be diagnosed until the baby is born. Up until that appointment it was just that he was really casual in his bedside manner (i.e. letting a curse fly during conversation) and even though I've been seeing him since I was not quite six weeks along, he has yet to remember me (I know docs are busy so it was probably wishful thinking that he ever would, but I still felt somewhat unimportant). Just things like that. On Thursday when he recommended induction when I wanted a natural birth *key point* when the "bun is done baking" and ready to come out, he also made me feel bad by implying that my 29# weight gain at 33 weeks was a little on the heavy side, even if though it was within what docs deem is "normal". I was really livid when I got home and the more I thought about it, the more I was just done with him.

So, the bottom line is that I switched OBs. I'm going with the one that a childbirth classmate of mine uses and LOVES. The classmate and I are both on the same page with what we'd like out of the birth experience and she says her OB is wonderful. I won't see her until the 17th (35 weeks), but I am hopeful that even if she isn't exactly what I'm looking for, she MUST be better than the original OB!

Anyway, thanks again for "listening"!

papal
12-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Good for you for making the switch!!! I am not sure I would have had the courage to do the same.. you have inspired me to take control of stuff like this!

Woohoo!

KrisM
12-04-2004, 09:24 PM
My water broke about an hour after bedroom action, too. Contractions started a little while after that. I was 5 days past my due date.

Rachels
12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Thumbs up! How wonderful that you are advocating so beautifully for yourself and your baby. I'm impressed. I am late to this conversation, but just wanted to offer support. I wrote my dissertation about childbirth, and I can tell you two things with absolute confidence: 1) that ultrasounds suck at predicting birth weight, and 2) that women give birth naturally to ten pound babies more often than you'd think. I interviewed three women whose babies were between nine and ten and a half pounds, and not one of them even required a single stitch. They all birthed with midwives, but the difference there is just that they weren't intervened with. There are tons of stories like that out there. If you can stretch to grow a big baby, chances are simply excellent that you can stretch to let that baby out.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Saartje
12-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Good for you! I'm glad to hear you changed OBs, and I hope you LOVE your new one. Good luck!

Bethann31
12-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Count me in that group. I had a 9lb 11 ozer without a tear. The doctor started to get out the episiotomy tray and I stopped him and said, "no way." They did give me a stitch, but it was minor.

That was my 9 year old (who will be 10 tomorrow) Jeffrey. My others were 7lbs. 10 oz, 8lbs 9 oz, and 8 lbs 6 oz. I only had one episiotomy and that was with the first one and I didn't know better.

Beth

Melanie
12-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Good for you!

mommy_someday
12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Warning, TMI to follow, readers beware!

Monday night DH and I decided to give whoopie a try - twice. I had a little cramping, which I expected, went to the bathroom and went to sleep afterward. In the morning before I had even gotten out of bed, I felt something leak (I hadn't moved in anyway to cause this like sneezing or coughing). The discharge was brownish-clear. I went on to work and had the brownish leakage mid-morning and felt something leak again a little later. I've heard that not everyone has a gusher when their water breaks and my little guy is really low already, so I thought maybe I broke my water and his head was just plugging it up.

I called the new OB's office (my first appt is next Friday the 17th) and she couldn't advise me since she hasn't seen me yet (the morons from my old OB's office faxed my records to the new doc's attention but at MY work fax number, so the new doc doesn't have them yet). Anyway...she said that I should go the the hospital to their WEU (women's eval unit) and have it checked out. They said that my water was still intact, but that I was having regular contractions every 4-5 minutes, my cervix was thinning and I was dilated to 2-3 cm already. Not good considering today was the 34-week mark.

They admitted me overnight. I was placed on an IV and continuous external fetal monitoring, given one shot and two pills of terbutaline to stop the contractions, and had two shots of steroids to help mature DS's lungs in case he comes before the 37-week mark. I've been sentenced to bed rest and terbutaline pills every 4-6 hours until the baby arrives. They're expecting that to happen in the next two or three weeks.

BIG PROBLEM: I haven't seen the new OB yet so my old OB was in my hospital room this morning to evaluate me. Luckily, he still doesn't remember me, so he had no clue that I had fired him as of last week and talked to me as if he's going to be the one do deliver my child (OVER MY DEAD BODY, BUSTER!). Unless, I can make it to next Friday's appt with the new OB, he WILL be delivering my baby, unfortunately.

BIGGER PROBLEM: If my baby is premature, what possible problems should I be prepared for? I know that we are past the period where DS is more likely to develop cerebral palsy or retinopathy of prematurity and that he's likely to stay a bit in the NICU if I can't keep my knees together for the next two weeks. Any of you have preemies around this stage of the game that can give me some insight? Last night was a bit devastating and I'd just like to be prepared.

If you made it this far...thanks.

tippy
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Oh Erica...Sorry you had to have that idiot examine you. I didn't have a preemie so I can't offer any help there but I'm sure some other mamas here can help you. Maybe you could start another thread specifically about it just so more people will see it.

Also...hope this isn't TMI back but before I went into labor with DS I also thought my water was leaking so to speak. I had the same type of sensation that you described and my underwear was wet from the "discharge". When I went to the hospital they said no, my water didn't break. My Doctor said it was very possible that it had and that if the "leaking" happened again to bring the underwear I was wearing (or the pad if I was using one) to the hospital the next time and they could try and perform a test from it to detect amniotic fluid.

Is there any chance you can call the "new" doctors office again and plead your case and beg them to take you earlier. All doctors usually have fit in appointments and if the doctor you are trying to see knew the circumstances of your situation maybe they would go out of their way to try and squeeze you in. Perhaps you can tell them that you want to speak to the doctor directly and ask for him/her to call you. It's worth a shot. I hope your babe stays put and that you stay off your feet and get some rest. Best of luck. I will be keeping you and your baby in my prayers.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

ETA: I just re-read you post. Maybe if you don't have luck contacting the new OB directly you can ask your friend who uses to get him on the phone and speak to him on your behalf.

alexsmommy
12-10-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm the mom of a 32 weeker, dissertation on prematurity, and I specialize in perinatal issues including prematurity in my psychology practice. Unfortunately, I can't give you any concrete answers b/c there are none. First of all, esp with beta methadone shots, 34 weekers GENERALLY do great. I know quite a few 35 weekers who went straight home - no NICU stay. 34 weekers generally look "scrawny" - they've lost the last few weeks of putting on weight. Other than that, and maybe some lanugo (fine downy hair covering body - it will disappear) they look like little versions fo full termers. The lack of body fat (and some low muscle tone) may cause them to look "floopy" but at 34 weeks this should rectify itself quickly. The main issue can be the "suck, swallow, breathe" reflex - it can take a little time to kick it, so feeding can be a little tough. Again, overall, these little guys do well, but they can be variable though and I don't want to tell you "it'll be fine" and then you have a NICU stay. BUT...Alex was born at 32 weeks after two weeks of hospital bedrest (my water broke at 30 weeks), I had beta methadone (steriods for lung development) and he was 3lbs 3oz at birth. He spent three weeks in the hospital, mainly gaining weight. No respirator, no major complications, just getting big enough to regulate his body temp and not wear himself out eating. He's totally caught up now. So, things could be absolutely great.
Good for you for looking to be prepared and educated. Your anxiety/fear etc is all normal. If you'd like to PM feel free and I'll try to answer questions more specifically. Some resources are: www.prematurity.org; www.storknet.com/cubbies/index.html; www.sidelines.org (for bedrest support); www.preemie-l.org (this is nice b/c you can ask to be put in contact with a family with a similar situation to your own. There are tons of books out there as well. I would read with caution - you will be seeing stories of families with micro-preemies on, and this is NOT what you will experience - you are at the high end for age/size with the best chance of little to no complications. HTH. Best of luck and sending you thoughts of 37 weeks of pregnancy
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

geochick
12-10-2004, 12:13 AM
My OB predicted a large baby too (9 pound range). I tried the "three Ws," but had no luck. I was induced 8 days after my due date and gave birth to a 6 pound, 14 ouncer. I would let your baby cook as long as possible - the little ones do better with more time in the oven. Good luck - motherhood is great (most of the time).

psophia17
12-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I had neither whoopie after 6 weeks pg (DH's smell made me naseaus) nor a preemie, but I did have regular contractions, not BH ones, for a full month before DS was born, sometimes every 4-5 minutes, other times not for an hour at a time. I didn't even know I was having them, but when I started going in for my weekly appts the OB noticed one when measuring my belly. I wasn't dilating, so it wasn't a big deal, but I had them steady until DS was born. At the time the OB noticed, she said no more sex until 6 weeks after DS was born, as if that was the reason I was having the contractions in the first place...I think the more likely culprit was the headcold that had me sneezing ever 5 minutes. It got DS all shook up, so to speak.

HTH, and keep us posted! :)

JulieL
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
REECA I AM CALLING YOU!!! -

jk3
12-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Obviously every situation is different but at 34 weeks most babies so well. I was 6 weeks early back in the 70s and stayed in the hospital for 18 days but was fine. Today they would've sent me home after a much shorter stay since I was healthy, breathing on my own - just small. The steroid injections help tremendously. I had those at 26 and 28 weeks - though my DS hung in there until 36 weeks. Try to stay relaxed if possible. I know that's hard to do given the situation and the Terbutaline.

In my understanding a baby is premature if lung development is not fully mature and a baby is considered preterm if he/she is born before 37 weeks with mature lung development. I'll be thinking about you. Keep us posted!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

barbarhow
12-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Erica-I agree with the PP who suggested that you ask the practice to try and squeeze you in. I wold even go so far as to become emotional with them. Tears usually don't hurt this type of situation. If you are able to explain how uncomfortable the old MD makes you feel and how you really need to be with someone you trust, etc. Many times the office staff are empathetic and will lend a hand.
Is your schedule such that you can be "on call" should someone cancel? That would be ideal. If you can show them how much you really want the appointment and can be flexible-it will usually benefit you.
Good luck.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

calebsmama03
12-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Oh Erica, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time, but I just wanted to reassure you that early ctx and dilation aren't necessarily a difinitive "you will have a preemie" indicator! I started with regular ctx (every 3 mins) and dilation at 23 weeks with C (it was so bad that they were giving me the lung steroids and having me tour the NICU!), and although I did end up in the hosp for a while, then on full bedrest at home with meds to stop ctx, I carried till 37 weeks. I will be thinking of you and hoping you make it to 37 weeks. 34 weeks is a good point, though and most 34 weekers do just fine :) My friend had a 35 weeker and he only stayed in the hosp a few days for oxygen regulation (we're in CO so the thinner air is a problem)
Take care, and good luck seeing your new doc!

Oh, BTW re: your original post - they kept me on meds with C till 37 weeks because he was measuring small and they thought that he'd only be about 5lb at 37 weeks, but he was 6lb2oz at birth :) My friend had an induction and eventual c/s when her doc assured her that her babe would be "nearly 10 lb", but she ended up being around 7 1/2 lb!!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

anamika
12-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi,
Hope you're doing well! Good luck with the new OB. I just wanted to say that I switched OBs at around 30 weeks too and it worked out just fine. I went with someone else in the same practice - a bit dicey since I could have had the 1st OB for the delivery but my 2nd OB said to page her if that happened.
My 1st OB left a message on my answering machine on Friday at 3 PM saying my baby was too small by ultrasound and then was unreachable till Monday afternoon at 4 PM. Oh, you can bet, I cried all the weekend long ( my 1st baby too). I didn't switch OBs after this b'cos I guess I was worried about switching and just wasn't taking charge of my pregnancy.
Anyway, after I was diagnosed with GDM at 29 weeks, she was so negative about everything. She kept talking about macrosomia, stillbirth etc etc. Then when I started crying (who wouldn't??) she handed me a box of tissues and left the room!! No sympathy or encouragement. My husband couldn't believe it!! He said it was like she was a car mechanic and she had just told me I needed a new radiator. No feeling at all.
Anyway, I switched after that and I have a non-macrosomic baby ( 6-13)who's now 10 wks old.
HTH,