PDA

View Full Version : mamma shoe recommendation needed

ALLEYCAT
12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
At this point comfort is all that matters. My feet have hurt since the last week of pregnancy. Now my lower legs hurt and when I lay in bed at night my legs RUN. kick kick kick kick kick I can not lay still. When I get out of bed, morning or night and when I walk after jsut sitting for 30 min my feet hurt. The long part of my feet, not the heels but on the bottem all the way to the top. PT has not been successful yet. They want me to get Dansko Professional shoes but how can a clog be comfy? And they are terribly expensive. Will this be a solution to the foot pain and leg running? Someone please help, or at least offer sympathy. DH is ready to kick me out of bed.

lmariana
12-02-2004, 10:26 PM
I haven't had a problem with the restless legs, but I can relate with the foot pain! I couldn't sit down for more than 3 minutes without standing up in agony!

I started adding some additional arch support to all my shoes. I bought the "advantage max" arch supports by Dr. Scholl's at the drug store for $8, and they're great! After about 2 week, I could tell a big difference. I made a point of wearing shoes all day long (with the arch supports), and it really helped.

I hope this helps a bit! I'm feeling your pain, I hope things get better soon!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

papal
12-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Leslie,
Dh and I got matching Dansko Professional clogs a couple of weeks ago. Yes, we are officially dorks.
I just want to say, they are WONDERFUL. Worth every PENNY!! I too was concerned about how a clog could be comfortable but you have to try it to believe it. Tondi's (TondiG) mom sells Danskos.. you can PM her for more info. We were in so much of a hurry to buy them that we actually paid full retails (GASP!).

Anyway, I highly recommend them. Not sure they will stop your leg running though. It has helped with my foot pain since i have flat feet.. almost NO arches.

C99
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I dunno, but I haven't complained about my feet hurting since I got the Dansko clogs. They're not for everyone, and they take some getting used to and if you're feet are narrow, make sure you get the narrow ones.

Tondi G
12-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Yeah like Rashmi said my mom sells Danskos... she gets seconds, closeouts, discontinued colors and styles and can also order from regular stock. She swares by them... doesn't wear ANYTHING else! I have a couple of pairs. They take some getting used to for some but they really are good for your feet, back, knees etc. My DH has had bad knees for years and when his back is feeling sore he wears his clogs for an evening and swares they help! They are one of the few shoes that carry the American Podiatric Medical Association's (APMA) Seal of Acceptance!!!

Check out their website

www.dansko.com

There are different styles not all just chunky clogs! Find a store that carrys them and try them on, get your size and then let me know and I can hook you up with my mom if you like!

~Tondi

C99
12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Tondi,

oooo! I am going to have to remember that in February (my birthday month and I usu. get a check and will spend it on shoes). I need the narrows and my local store only carried them in the oilskin black color, which wouldn't have been my first choice. So maybe your mom can get me narrows in a color other than that one?

tippy
12-03-2004, 02:24 AM
If you don't have an aversion to needles you might want to consider Acupuncture for the "restless leg/running leg". Also, have you visited the podiatrist? During pregnancy a hormone is released in the body that "loosens" all your ligaments so the pelvis can spread and accommodate the baby while it grows and during delivery. Unfortunately ALL the ligaments in your body loosen not just the ones in the pelvis. That is why so many women end up with feet 1/2 a size bigger after baby. The bones in the feet spread and when the ligaments return to their normal state the bones often stay in the same position they were in hence the bigger shoe size. The reason I'm mentioning this is that there is a possibility that your arch may have fallen or you could have plantar facitis. A podiatrist can diagnose that. Hugs and here’s hoping your tootsies feel better soon!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

Saartje
12-03-2004, 01:39 PM
The running at night can be a sign of iron deficiency and can often be resolved just by taking an iron supplement. I had that problem in the last half of my pregnancy, and I found a time-release iron supplement to work best. (Look up information on Restless Legs Syndrome. My OB had never heard of it until I told her about it.)

ALLEYCAT
12-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Do you have any idea on prices and how long befor I could recieve them? My PT can do them for $55. This seems like alot since I normally go to K mart but I looked at the local store for size and they are $100! That nearly caused a stroke.

Tondi G
12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
If your PT can get you a pair for 55 bucks then that is a GREAT deal.... I would go ahead and buy them from your PT! Danskos are fabulous shoes and they are not cheap! The fact that you are wearing mostly K-mart shoes says something..... gotta be good to your feet mamma!!!!!

~Tondi

kristine_elen
12-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Merrells are great.

pritchettzoo
12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Also, get your DR or PT to write a prescription for the shoes--if your insurance won't cover it (unlikely that they would, but can't hurt to ask), it's a tax write-off. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

ALLEYCAT
12-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I am ashamed to say I have been wearing Kmart shoes but up till preg I have not had a problem. I have Merrills but everything is just all worn out now after pregnancy weight and not being able to lose it all yet. Harumph... anyway as far as the Danskos go I may get them as a gift from DH. About the running at night thing I had never thought of it as being a deficiency of some sort. That is great to know, I will try the iron when I get home. I have not eaten red meat in years and stopped using an Iron skillit months ago but may start again.

suribear
12-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I swear by Birkenstocks. They have lots of different styles, not just the traditional sandals! You have to get used to them, but once you do.. wow.

I recently looked for a pair of closed toe shoes but I don't know if the Birk ones will work, as they aren't quite wide enough. The sandals were fine, though, probably because they aren't closed so the wide foot isn't such a big issue.

I wanted to try Danskos but they don't fit me right - I'm between a 38 and 39, but I think it's the same type of support. I tried out some Munros (they have a great fit) but they didn't have enough support for me. It was heavenly to wear my Birks again - like a massage!

Kris

jesseandgrace
12-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I wore Dansko Clogs when I was pregnant, and I still do. There are many that look really good!

JElaineB
12-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I have not had restless legs, but when I had foot pain I switched to Birkenstocks full time and it went away. I now only wear Birks 99.9% of the time. They have many cool styles now too, not just sandals. I prefer their Boston clog in winter. I have tried on Danskos but they are way too narrow for me, and I prefer the neutral heel of mosts Birkenstock anyway.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ALLEYCAT
12-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Love Birkenstocks but I have to have solid black, closed toe and heel shoes for work. My supervisor said he would look the other way if I follow those guidelines as we are issued shoes with our uniforms. At home I have been wearing Birks around the house but it is a total mud hole and I can't wear them outside IYKWIM.

suribear
12-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Look on www.zappos.com. I found lots of closed toe Birkenstocks there! (under the name footprints, but they have the same sole)

Kris

JElaineB
12-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Well, if you already know you like Birks there are a number that will fit that description. They might have a slightly different footbed than the "classic" Birks, but they've got to be better than regular shoes. Also, some styles will have alternative sizing, which usually means you need to size up. http://www.birkenstockexpress.com is very good at letting you know which styles those are. They have B&M stores in Oregon as well which is where I bought my first pairs of Birks many years ago!

I'm not sure of your job environment, so some styles may be better than others, but if you look here

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Products/footwearL2.cfm/cnav.219/id.031220042008-630891

you will find many styles in closed heel and toe that come in black.

Some of these are expensive, but they are worth it if they will stop your pain! I would read the footbed and tech specs to also to see which style would meet your need the best.

And for home outside if it is muddy you might consider some of the polyurethane clog styles, such as the Super Birk-Clog or the Sport Clog.

Also, for lower priced options, check out the sale and clearance pages at Birkenstock Express (above), http://www.birkenstockcentral.com and http://www.footprints.com. If you need a retail location, go to http://www.birkenstock.com and there is a store locator available there.

Can you tell I love Birks?! :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

nohomama
12-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Buy the Danskos! I kind of have a shoe thing and consequently have four pairs of Danskos. I used to wear cheap fashion forward shoes (for that matter, I crammed my feet into point shoes for a dozen years and then rock climbing shoes for several years after that) but no more. Think of it this way, your feet are the platform for you entire body. Treat your feet well and your treating your whole body well. Even if you don't go for the Danskos you need to throw those Kmart shoes in the trash can.