PDA

View Full Version : OT ASAP Do I need to write up a contract to sell our car?

urquie
12-03-2004, 02:05 AM
We're selling a car tomorrow to a private party (for cash) and I feel like I should make up some sort of contract. Is it necessary and if so what should it say? TIA

tippy
12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
I never have heard of anyone I know doing that but maybe in other areas it is more common. I honestly don't think it is necessary. We bought a used car for cash and there wasn't a contract involved. Do you want to do this for your protection or the sellers. Do you have an attorney you can check with. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't get to it. Maybe some others here have a different perspecive. Good luck.
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

usfrph
12-03-2004, 09:45 AM
I believe you need a bill of sale when you transfer the vehicles registration in your name.
We used the simple one in this site (http://patriot.net/~bmcgin/autobillofsale.html).

You want the buyer to transfer the registration so if they get into an accident,
get tickets by camera --the bills don't arrive at your door :-)

Momof3Labs
12-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Yes, you absolutely do need one. Also, include in the contract that the vehicle is sold "as is".

mattiew
12-03-2004, 02:11 PM
We did not have a contract but went with the person to transfer the registration (make sure they have proof that they have the "new" car on their insurance or you cannot transfer it - at least in our state). You can purchase an auto bill of sale ("as is") specific to your state at
www.uslegalforms.com. We use their contracts for our rental property.

Congrats on selling you car!
Carrie

urquie
12-03-2004, 02:11 PM
this bill of sale form is just what i was looking for! not too formal, but enough to cma. thanks

ralu
12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
When we bought our first car (used car from a private party) we went together to AAA and they took care of everything (registration transfer etc.). It was a long time ago so I do not remember what we signed, but the whole process was fairly simple.

Raluca

August Mom
12-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Yes. Make sure you note that the vehicle is sold "as is." Then, if something goes wrong with the car, the buyer shouldn't be able to come back on you because of the problem.