PDA

View Full Version : I have to share this cookie recipe!

rrosen
12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
I made these for the first time yesterday and they are delish! I will make them many more times in the future I am sure.
They taste sort of like Girl Scout Thin mint cookies.
The recipe comes from the Taste of Home's Best Ever Christmas Cookie and Candies book.

Surprise Package Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
65 Andes candies

In a mixing bowl,cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate fro 2 hours until easy to handle. With floured hands, shape a tablespoon of dough around 42 candies, forming rectangular cookies. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a microwave or saucepan, melt the remaining candies; drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

redhookmom
12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
They look like quite a treat. It is cold damp day here in NY, a good day to use the oven!

houseof3boys
12-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Yum, Yum and more yum.

I'll try those out! :)

g-mama
12-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Mmmmmmmm....these look yummy. I love those Andes mints and can't wait to try these.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

babymama
12-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Have to tell you about my mommy brain moment while reading the recipe.

Where it says "share a tablespoon of dough around 42 candies", I thought "how in the world is one Tbsp of dough going to cover 42 pieces of candy? Do I need to melt them first?" Duh. I get it now. But it reminded me that I really should have some breakfast to get my brain going.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

rrosen
12-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Actually, I was just thinking I should clarify that part of the recipe. Since, you all don't have the benefit of the photo in the cookbook. I found that the easiest way was to take a tablespoon of dough and make a ball, then flatten out the ball and wrap it around the mint like a present. You totally encase the mint in the dough. The colder the dough is the better because when cooking they will keep more of a rectangle shape. I cooked one tray where the dough had got a little soft and the cookies spread out more (they still tasted fine though ;-))

HTH make it a little more clear.

octmom
12-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks!!! I cannot wait to try this recipe. I LOVE thin mint cookies and gorge myself on them (esp. frozen) every year when its GS cookie season. I'm supposed to participate in two cookie exchanges in the coming weeks, and I just may need make these cookies. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

smomom
12-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing.... I may have found my cookie exchange recipe.....

pritchettzoo
12-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Mmmmm! I just picked this little magazine up today but haven't leafed through it yet. That sounds really good. I bet you could put some cocoa in the dough and make them chocolate surprise cookies...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/03)

Eloise36
12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
This sounds yummy!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

KrisM
12-24-2004, 01:24 PM
These are awesome. I made them yesterday and think they're fantastic. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

octmom
11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Maybe I am jumping the gun since Thanksgiving hasn't even come and gone yet, but I wondered if anyone has any great Christmas/ holiday cookie recipes to share. I made the cookies listed above last year and they were a hit at my office cookie exchange. Anyone else have one to share?

TIA!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March

aliceinwonderland
11-18-2005, 03:48 AM
oooh, I am the worst baker in the world (but a decent cook, how did that happen?) so now I have ambitions...
Thanks for the recipes :)

HGraceMom
11-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I just bought the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookie mag. - the one with the snowflake gingerbread on the cover - man, that's looking like a great treasure trove of cookies... granted I won't be piping icing over snowflakes, but I can improvise with rounds...

I'm excited for my upcoming cookie exchange, to see what my uber-creative neighbors & friends come up with - I asked everyone to e-mail their recipes along with their rsvp!

juliasmom05
11-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the yummy recipe. Thin mints are my favorite and I was bumming because I passed up Girl Scout cookies this weekend. Can't wait to try it.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

ribbit1019
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh! I have the best recipe but I can't get to it right now (at work). It is so easy it is ridiculous. I love making them and they are always a huge hit. I will find it and post it. The OP cookie sounds yummy too!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

crayonblue
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I've had these before and they are SO GOOD!!!

proggoddess
11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Do a search for "Neiman Marcus cookie, urban legend" and the most delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe will pop up. Don't go to Neiman Marcus' site, those cookies are totally different.

This cookie is a little time consuming to make, but only because you need to grind oatmeal in a blender and grate a Hershey bar. But the cookies are so full of chocolate chips and walnuts that the dough barely holds the thing together! Have DH use the "knuckle scraper" or grate the Hershey bar in a food processor.

The recipe makes a truckload of cookies. I usually halve the recipe because all the batter won't fit into the bowl at the same time.

(Recipe may be halved.):
2 cups butter
2 tsp. soda
5 cups blended oatmeal**
2 cups brown sugar
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla 4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

octmom
11-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Ohhhhhhhh. My friend makes these and they are soooooooo good!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March