PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts/peanut butter and food allergies - wait until age 3 or ok at age 2?

Twin Mom
12-03-2004, 09:39 AM
I've heard that when there is a family history of food allergies that it is better to wait until age 3 before introducing peanuts. At my kids 2 year appointment my ped said that they can eat anything now including peanuts, but of course I haven't tried peanut butter yet because I'm nervous about the allergy thing.

My DH does have food allergies, but not to any nuts. Does anyone know of any information that documents why it is better to wait until age 3 vs. age 2? If they are allergic does it matter what age they try the food at? My DS is a horrible eater and doesn't like any type of meat so my DH wants to try peanut butter since it would be another source of protein (of course that is assuming he likes it!) Before I do, I want to confirm there is no advantage to waiting until age 3.

Thanks.

Momof3Labs
12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
If your DH has food allergies, you should really wait until age 3. The longer you wait to expose them to a potential allergen, the better chance that they will NOT be allergic to it.

We got the okay at age 2 since we have no food allergies in the family.

For additional protein, have you tried soynut butter? It is served like peanut butter - Colin has been eating (and loving) soynut butter and jelly sandwiches for almost a year now!

brubeck
12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
My understanding (and I am NOT a medical professional) is that the younger a child is, the less able his body is to adjust to certain substances. So if there is a tendancy to have a reaction to something (be it a food, chemical, ehatever) then the older the child is the better chance they have of resisting it.

Apparently many of the people in the US with food allergies today (nuts, chocolate, even lactose) have them because they were exposed to these foods at too young an age when their bodeis were not able to deal with them.

My ped said that there should be no nuts until age 3 and none until age 5 if there is a family history of food allergies. I am going by this. Heck DD (who just turned 4) hasn't had nuts yet simply because I am trying to keep them out of the house (away from her brother) for at least another year.

For trying meat, how about getting fine ground stuff and putting it in spaghettis sauce? Or serving soy or tofu or cheese for the protein?

starrynight
12-03-2004, 11:43 AM
If there are any food allergies in the family you are supposed to avoid all nuts and legumes including soy. It's best if you avoid all the top 8 but I have found that to be overkill.

Dh and I have no food allergies but our kids do, it was then that the doc told us any allergies at all in the family can cause any different allergy in future generations. Hay fever, med reactions, vax reactions and eczema are so rampent in our family I wish I had know that before I gave the kids some things! I thought I only had to avoid food if there were food allergies in the family. My older 2 have dairy, soy, and other allergies but not to nuts, they both eat it fine. To be safe I do avoid pb in the baby because she has the least amount of allergies and I'd like to keep it that way for now (she is allergic to some fruits and I think corn).

alkagift
12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Aileen,
I'll second Lori's rec for soynut butter. Honestly, I don't know about the PP's info regarding avoiding soy, but there are soy products in many processed foods and it's likely your kiddos have been exposed to soy already. It's always wise to go slowly, however, on any introduction.

My DH's allergic to walnuts so we're holding on the peanut butter as long as possible. DS loves soynut butter, though, so that could be an option for you. Try raisin bread!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Laurelsmom2002
12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
My DH does have nut alergies (and other food alergies) so we're waiting until at least 3, but I had heard that even w/ out the alergy you should wait, since it could be a choking hazard, ( think of getting pnut butter stuck on the roof of your mouth, but if your mouth is smaller and your airway is smaller that could be an issue)
DD is also a poor protein eater- chicken fingers occasionally and ham also occasionally - I asked the ped and she said "does she eat cherios" there is plenty of iron in them and their is protein in her milk and cheese ( i do get the skim plus that has extra protein in it)
I would wait if I were you since the nut alergies are not usually outgrown and can be quite severe in nature since DH does have food alergies
JMO