PDA

View Full Version : Should I go to a conference in Miami?

cara1
12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
There's an optional conference in Miami this year. I went by myself a few years ago when DS was 10 weeks old. It was torture being away, using the pump, etc. I have been away from him a few more times since when I had to, but promised myself never again if it was optional. This year the conference is in Miami, so DH and I were wondering if we should all go, turning it into a mini-vacation. I wouldn't have to attend all day, I could just do half-days or something. The problem is now we have DS (3 y) and DD (she'd be 7mos then). We can't figure out how DH could possibly manage the two by himself. For starters, I don't want to pump while I'm down there. So then what, he hovers in the hotel and brings the baby to me whenever she's hungry? And would could they possibly do other than wait in the room? I don't think he could manage both kids while out and about. Should I just skip it altogether? Thanks for your input.

emilyf
12-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Well, I love to travel and love Miami so I would try to make it work if I could. I only have 1 child though, so maybe I'm not seeing all angles. I'm assuming your dh watches them by himself at home, so he probably would be ok. If the hotel has a pool, he could hire a babysitter through the hotel to help for an hour or two and take them both down to the pool while you were at the convention. Or taking them for a walk on the beach should be manageable, especially if you could find a sling/backpack for dd. Plus hanging out in a hotel doesn't have to be torture either, he could take them down for breakfast, let DS run around the halls, go up and down in the elevator a few times and then watch movies or tv in the room. Does DD take formula at all? You could also take a supply of breast milk in a cooler and pump before you came.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02