PDA

View Full Version : need your good thoughts and prayers

mudder17
12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi, last night I started getting some stomach pains and at first I thought it might be something I ate, but the pain just got worse overnight and the usual antacids did absolutely nothing. I managed to see the doctor this morning and she suspects an ovarian cyst. The pain is very consistent with the ovarian cyst I had 13 years ago (my left ovary was removed with a cyst the size of a grapefruit), so I know it's a possibility that I have another ovarian cyst. I'm getting an ultrasound this afternoon at 1:30 EST to see if there's anything there. Also, they did a urine sample and found that there was an elevated amount of white blood cells in my urine.

I guess what's going through my mind right now is that I'm afraid that whatever treatment I end up with for whatever the problem is, it could affect my breastfeeding at the very least with antibiotics throwing my bacterial balance out of whack. And worst case (which I can not help thinking about) is that I might not be able to have any more children. I know that's partly the pain talking, since it's pretty severe right now. Anyway, I just need some good thoughts and prayer to get through the next few hours in the immediate sense. The pain is pretty bad right now, so that's the first priority. But I'm also anxious to find out what the ultrasound will show.

Thanks everyone,

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

steph2003
12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
((((HUGS)))) to you Eileen. Please keep us posted!

Sandy
12-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Eileen,
I am so sorry. Sending you lots of good thoughts. Take care.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
and another peanut edd 4/21/05

jk3
12-03-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better as soon as possible. I'll be thinking about you!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

rrosen
12-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Eileen,
I will be thinking of you today. Please check back in after your u/s!

Hugs to you, Mama!

calebsmama03
12-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Hugs honey! Good luck at the u/s today and keep us posted!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Big hugs honey!!!!
I know that pain and it bites!!!!....
Please know our thoughts are with you...go rest up!!!!!!
and keep us posted on what they say!!!!

Hugs,

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

cuca_
12-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Sending good thoughts your way. Hope you feel better soon.

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

papal
12-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey Eileen... I will be thinking of you today girlie... sending good thoughts your way... please let us know when you hear back from the doctor girlie!

Hugs!

missym
12-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Sending positive thoughts your way... I hope you get some pain relief soon!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

alkagift
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Eileen,
I certainly hope that this time it's small and resolves itself! All the best and lots of hugs...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

babymama
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Eileen -
I am praying for you. Thanks for sharing what's going on with us. I'm keeping you, Kaya and your DH in my prayers. Wishing you the best.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

babymama
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Eileen -
I am praying for you. Thanks for sharing what's going on with us. I'm keeping you, Kaya and your DH in my prayers. Wishing you the best.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

smomom
12-03-2004, 12:15 PM
sending good thoughts your way....

mysweetboy
12-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Just said a prayer for you, Eileen. I'm thinking of you and hope that the pain eases up soon!

Hugs,
Lori
mommy to Charlie, almost 7 months old!

lizajane
12-03-2004, 01:19 PM
oh my goodness, i am so sorry for your pain and your worry. i hope that it turns out to be minor and you won't need to endure any further ordeal.

brigmaman
12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Will be praying for you, Eileen. You are so selfless to be thinking of how this will affect Kaya! Take care and keep us updated.
Hugs...

barbarhow
12-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Lots of hugs to you. Hopefully it is nothing more than a urinary tract infection. They can cause horrible stomach pain. Could be with the bacteria in your urine. I hope that your USG turns up with nothing to show but a healthy and normal belly. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

mommyj_2
12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Eileen,
I just want you to know I'm thinking of you. I hope you're okay.

mudder17
12-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm just dashing off a quick update. The u/s was negative for a cyst, but the pain is getting worse, so they're sending me to the ER. I'll try to post an update once they figure out (I hope) what's going on. Thanks so much for your support.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

slknight
12-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Oh my gosh! I'm glad to hear it's not a cyst (I also have had my left ovary removed), but I hope it's nothing too serious. Could it be your appendix? Hoping you're feeling better soon.

zuzu
12-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm glad to hear it's not a cyst, but sorry that you still have pain. Hope the ER finds it's nothing serious and that you feel well again soon!

Hugs,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

mharling
12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Eileen -
Sending lots of hugs, good thoughts and prayers your way; both for some relief from the pain and for a quick determination of what's going on. Take care, mama!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

wagner36
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Good luck Eileen! Keep us updated - I'm so sorry the pain is getting worse....

wagner36
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Good luck Eileen! Keep us updated - I'm so sorry the pain is getting worse....

mommd
12-03-2004, 03:49 PM
I hope everything is OK! Sending hugs your way.

RwnMayfair
12-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm glad it's not a cyst, but I'm sorry you have to go to the ER. I sincerely hope it's not anything serious. Thinking good thoughts for you here, and I hope they figure out what it is (and that it's nothing big) soon.

::hugs::

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

aliceinwonderland
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
thinking of you. Please do keep us posted.

californiamom
12-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Eileen,

((((big hug))))
You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Please do send us un update whenever it is possible.

hez
12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Thinking about you, and hoping it's nothing serious!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Keep us posted...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

jubilee
12-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Thinking of you, and hoping we hear a good update from you soon. Hugs,

jbowman
12-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Big, big hugs Eileen! I will keep you in my prayers!

Tori_s mom
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Eileen,

I really hope you are feeling better soon. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you get good news and some relief.

Hugs,
Tasha

pritchettzoo
12-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh my goodness! Please keep us updated. We're thinking of you.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

tarahsolazy
12-03-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this, I hope its nothing major!

jd11365
12-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Thinking of you and waiting to hear good news...

{{{HUGS}}}

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Rachels
12-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Oh, Eileen! Sounds like maybe a severe UTI or kidney infection? Hang in there, sweetie, and feel better FAST. If there's anything I can do as far as answering nursing questions or offering support, let me know. I'd be glad to look up the safety of medications, etc-- doctors will quite often warn you against breastfeeding when in fact the medication in question is perfectly safe.

Thinking of you...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

lisaE
12-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh Eileen.

We are all thinking of you and pulling for you. I wish there was something more I could do!

new_mommy25
12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Eileen, oh no! I am so, so sorry. I hope everything is ok. Please let us know the update asap. Do you have anyone nearby who can help with Kaya?

JElaineB
12-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Eileen, I hope you are doing ok. I'm thinking of you.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jec2
12-03-2004, 11:20 PM
eileen, I hope you are doing ok. please check in and let us know how you are. we're thinking of you!

kitmama
12-03-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm thinking of you!! I hope it's nothing major, and that you feel better fast.

MamaKath
12-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Eileen, you have my prayers! I will be watching for an update, I am hoping all is okay.

CBB
12-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Eileen, big hugs to you! I hope this is nothing major and that you feel better soon.

kelly ann
12-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Eileen-

So worried that we have not heard from you since you went to the ER - hope you are feeling better and it is nothing serious.

You are in my thoughts tonight.

mudder17
12-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi Girls!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted an update. I've been out of commision! Thanks so much for your prayers, good thoughts, and support!

I went to the ER yesterday and after a cat scan and 2 ultrasounds, they finally suspect it was a ruptured ovarian cyst. They actually admitted me for the night because my blood pressure dropped to 71/44 and they were afraid there might be internal bleeding (and hence the pain). Of course it took them until 1 a.m. to decide they should admit me! But the ER doc and nurses were really nice, and other than the fact that they were really busy (partly contributing to the long waits), it would have been okay. What finally helped the pain was the morphine that they gave me!

They finally released me this afternoon and it's so good to be home. However, because they were afraid they might have to open me up, I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything from about 10:00 last night until lunch time today. And because of the stomach pain in the first place, I didn't eat a whole lot yesterday. So my stomach was in a lot of hunger pains from around the time they gave me the morphine until this morning. When I was finally able to eat, I couldn't eat a whole lot and in fact, I still have a stomach ache, probably in part due to the contrasting agent (gastroview) that I had to drink. Anyway, the abdominal pain that was the reason I was in the hospital seems to have passed, but I have a new stomach pain that is making me throw up. :( I hope it passes soon, otherwise I may go back to the hospital! I'm pretty sure it's related to the contrasting agent and not eating for so long, but obviously I'm not positive.

Anyway, I talked to my OB/GYN (whom I LOVE...if anyone in the Baltimore area ever needs a good one, let me know!) and he says all of the symptoms and test results were consistent with a ruptured ovarian cyst, and that the initial drop in blood pressure and initial drop in hematocrit levels could have been internal bleeding--except that all stabilized partway through the night. It's also possible some of that was due to me not eating. In any case, it looks like the most serious stuff is past. I truly believe that your prayers and good thoughts helped me get trough this tough night!

Throughout this ordeal, Kaya was an angel!!! She did so well at the various tests, and then when it turned out I had to go to the ER, she did well at our pastor's house with their dog (although she didn't like it when the dog barked) and then when I had to stay longer at the ER, DH was able to bring her home with our pastor and put her to bed with a sippy and some veggies. Apparently she fell asleep within minutes and she slept until 1:00 a.m., during which she took a sippy of milk and after 10 minutes of fussing, fell back asleep. She did so well at the hospital when DH brought her for a visit, and she didn't fuss because she wasn't getting nursed. And tonight, she nursed with no difficulties and went to sleep without a peep. I am so proud of her! :)

I rented a hospital-grade pump for the next couple weeks so that I can increase my supply while feeding Kaya. The LC's at my hospital is incredible! They stopped by a couple times to make sure the pumping was going well (I've never used an electric pump before!) and that I didn't have any questions. I wish more hospitals had a lactation department like that! Oh, and an interesting side note. While I was there, our hospital had 50 babies in the nursery! I know it's one of the biggest obstetric units in the tristate area, but that's pretty amazing. :)

Anyway, off to curl up in bed. I'll keep you updated!

Eileen

jec2
12-04-2004, 07:05 PM
good to hear back from you. Glad to know that it was nothing too serius and that you're mending. What a great baby kaya was :)

KrisM
12-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I just read your original post tonight. I'm glad things are going a bit better for you!

TraciG
12-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh Eileen I hope u feel better very soon, best of luck !

:)

toomanystrollers
12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Big Hugs Eileen,
I wish I lived close by!! Get lots of rest and take good care of yourself :)

Momof3Labs
12-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Eileen, glad that the threat seems to have passed - I was wondering if you would have to give up your appendix or something today!

Take good care of yourself!!!

tarahsolazy
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better. Rest up!

houseof3boys
12-04-2004, 08:37 PM
I am so glad to hear things are on the mend and that sweet Kaya was an angel.

Big hugs to you with this ordeal you had to go through.

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Huge hugs, thoughts, and prayers are with you. And...I LOVE Kaya's name ~ so beautiful. Just think that you are almost to her 1st birthday, which is QUITE a feat for BFing :)

steph2003
12-04-2004, 09:12 PM
We were worried about ya girl! Glad you checked in. Rest up.

Rachels
12-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Oooohhhh, I've been there. I was hospitalized for a ruptured cyst with internal bleeding a few months ago. Rest up, mama-- it takes a while to get back on your feet. If you need some support, email anytime. Thinking of you...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

jamsmu
12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Eileen,

I'm just checking in for the first time in a few days. Sounds like I missed the ordeal, but please know I am still keeping you in my thoughts. So glad to hear everything will be okay. Get lots of rest and hug little Kaya.

mysweetboy
12-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Eileen, I'm sooooo glad to hear that you're feeling better......you had me worried! Get lots of rest and hope that you're feeling 100% soon!!!

Hugs!
Lori
mommy to Charlie, almost 7 months old!

jd11365
12-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh Eileen! You poor thing! And how selfless you are to be pumping through all of this... Glad to know you are on the mend, and hoping you have a speedy recovery!

{{{HUGS}}}

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

tippy
12-05-2004, 01:41 AM
Eileen!

Just reading this post for the first time. You poor thing! I am so glad you seem to be on the mend and that you are having such a good experience with the LC in the hospital. I hope everthing turns out ok and will keep you in my prayers.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

brigmaman
12-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Eileen, So sorry you've had an awful couple of days. Hopefully the rest of the week is better. Glad Kaya handled everything so well!
Feel better!

MamaKath
12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Eileen,

I am so glad things are going better!!!! I was so concerend when you hadn't posted back, and am relieved to hear that you are on the mend. I am also in MD, but SoMD. I just found a good ObGyn down here recently as well. Anyway know you remain in my thoughts, and let me know if you need anything. :-)

amp
12-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Hugs Eileen! I hope it all turns out well.

Just saw your update! Wow, what a whirlwind of activity! Glad you are home and resting now.

barbarhow
12-05-2004, 07:27 PM
So glad that you are home and I hope that the new stomach pain and vomiting stops soon. Sounds like quite an ordeal but that you all did great through it. Hope you are feeling even better tomorrow.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!