PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get special permission for a non-traveler to get thru airport security?

sadie427
12-03-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm traveling alone w/ DS tomorrow. I had heard that one can get special permission to go all the way to the gate. Does this apply to travelers w/ small children, has anyone done it, how do you get permission? I was just on tsa.gov which mentioned this was possible but didn't give any helpful details at all.

I know I'll do fine, but it would be great if DH could come with us to help out.

new_mommy25
12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
I've asked a couple times if DH could help me to the gate and each time they said no. This was at the sea-tac airport. As far as I know they usually only allow it if it is a small child travelling alone. In that case the parent can accompony them to the gate.

But there is no harm in asking :)

redhookmom
12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
I was traveling with my 2 kids and got special permission for dh to come to the gate and for my brother to meet me at the arriving gate. when I ordered the ticket the agent gave me the # to call for each airport. I explained I had 2 kids, 2 carseats, 1 stroller, and bagful of kid paraphanalia.

wreckgirl1
12-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Didn't do it for a small child, but to help my grandmother in a wheelchair.

You ask the airline agent when you check in if you can get one for your husband. It is like a boarding pass but you can't board a plane with it, just get through security. No idea if they'd issue you one or not. But just in case I'd try to minimize the stuff you bring as carry-ons (you don't want to cart a bunch of stuff on the other end, either!)

HTH

Cynthia

Melanie
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
>I've asked a couple times if DH could help me to the gate and
>each time they said no. This was at the sea-tac airport. As
>far as I know they usually only allow it if it is a small
>child travelling alone. In that case the parent can accompony
>them to the gate.
>
>But there is no harm in asking :)

OH @#*@#$*! Sea Tac Airport! Worst airport experience I have EVER had! Too bad, love Seattle...hate their airport staff.

Good Luck...definitely ask, because if you don't the answer is always "no."

usfrph
12-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Could you pretend you don't speak english? ;-)
I was able to get to the gate to accompany my IL's who only speak French. They give you a boarding pass that gets you past security but unfortunately doesn't allow you to board the plane --if only!

kensjen
12-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I would ask at the gate, and make it sound like you absolutely need this. I was able to do it for my sister, she was 15 at the time, and was considered a child traveler. So I went thru security and met her at the gate. I got a pass from the check in desk, so ask them there.

C99
12-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I've gotten a gate pass for my husband on American at O'Hare, but not at Bush. It depends on the airline and the airport. Some airlines will let you do it, some won't -- same for the airports.

kristine_elen
12-03-2004, 08:32 PM
I would call the airline directly b/c that's who gives the pass. I've gotten them in the past with no hassle (the other person just needs to show ID) but the last time they put up a huge stink and almost didn't allow it. So, I'd get permission ahead of time and get the name of the manager who OK'd it. Good luck!

luvmypeanut
12-03-2004, 09:26 PM
I've done it in Honolulu when my mom was traveling back to the east coast with my two nephews alone. I asked the United ticket/info desk and they took my drivers license and issued me a pass. I was able to go to the gate with them to wait until they started boarding.

JElaineB
12-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I have asked the ticket agent upon check-in and it is up to their discretion basically. I have received permission for DH to accompany me to the gate with DS (at 22 months old) at our local airport (Moline, IL) , and also for my mother to accompany me to the gate at Providence, RI. Both flights were American Airlines. The gate agent here was very accommoating but the one in Providence had a little attitude. She said, "well, I'll do it today but if it was really busy I couldn't let you". The person getting permission without a ticket will still need to present ID and their gate pass when going through security.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Rachels
12-03-2004, 09:46 PM
It's totally hit or miss in my experience. My mom can often get a gate pass in NC, but in MA we have a much harder time. Even here, though, it just depends on who you get at the ticket counter. I've found that older men (grandfathery types) are more helpful and that younger women are the worst.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Twin Mom
12-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Hope I'm not too late since you are leaving today but here is what my experience was. I flew alone with my twins in July and my DH was able to get a gate pass. The airline told us they have nothing to do with it and that you have to ask when you get to the airport as this kind of thing is decided by the airport people, not the airline. The lady when we checked in was a total b***h and was not going to let him come even though I had a double stroller, 2 car seats and carry ons plus I really don't know how to install the car seats on a plane very well since my DH usually does the plane car seat installation.

Anyway I was really getting upset as there was noooo way I was going to be able to carry everything myself and wheel the stroller and carseats so I started boo hooing and it worked like a charm. Then of course she said she was going to let him go to the gate the whole time. Well why didn't she just say that at the beginning instead of pissing me off...

The flight attendents on my plane told me there was no way my parents would be at the gate b/c they only let people come to the gate to meet unaccompanied minors. Of course my dad is a smooth talker so he managed to get a gate pass and was there but they didn't let him get on the plane to help with all of the stuff so the flight attendents had to help me get it all off.

It can be done so hopefully they will let your DH go with you. Good luck with your travels.