PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question for medical professionals-otoscopes

mommd
12-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I know there are several docs and nurses floating around here somewhere... I have to buy an ophthalmoscope and otoscope and was wondering if anyone has recommendations and knows of a good place to purchase them? I was looking specifically at diagnostic sets. TIA.

phirey
12-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I have the Classic-Plus Smart Set, 97210-SM, plus the scrotal transilluminator (don't ask). You know, I'm holding on to the otoscope and opthalmascope just in case (although DD is 2 and has never had a single ear infxn). But if for any reason you are dying for the nasal illuminator and the lovely, never-used-for-what-it's-meant-for scrotal transilluminator, I'd be happy to part with them. BTW, the scrotal thingy is great tor transilluminating sinuses...

What field are you in?

http://www.ewelchallyn.com/diagnostic2.asp

Laurelsmom2002
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I've used this site frequently, they've been good to me.
http://www.hmponline.com/

tarahsolazy
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
I have a basic Welch-Allyn set I bought in med school a thousand years ago, I'm so old... I like it. I don't know about on-line purchasing though. Does your school have a group discount buy or anything. That's how we all bought ours as second-year med students, about a thousand years ago.

kwc
12-03-2004, 08:25 PM
I also got my Welch-Allyn set in med school, with a group discount. One thing I liked is that they extended the warranty so if it every broke in med school or residency, they would replace it for free during that time period. Don't know if this is always true or it if was just because we bought it direct from a W-A rep. Even if it is just you buying, maybe considering talking to a rep to cut you a small discount, they are soooooo expensive!

Karen

mommd
12-03-2004, 10:39 PM
We are having someone from AMSA come and show us the instruments. Most students at our school buy their equipment through them, but I was just trying to find somewhere cheaper if possible. I was leaning toward the basic Welch-Allyn set. Thanks!

mommd
12-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Ummm.. Scrotal transilluminator??? Never heard of such a thing, but i probably will soon. I am a second year medical student, and we need the instruments for next semester. What field are you in?

dr mom
12-03-2004, 11:36 PM
That's what I bought and used in med school. Our AMSA hosted two reps, one from Welch Allyn and one from Heine, and they both did long, tedious, detailed presentations from which I gleaned the following:

1. both types cost about the same (way too much)
2. both types essentially did the same thing (high-tech flashlight)

I went with Welch Allyn only because the rep threw in a free transilluminator (I used mine for sinuses, not scrotums) Usually, your AMSA group will negotiate some sort of a group discount for the school. And most of the offices I have worked in since then use Welch Allyn equipment, if that is a factor in your decision making.

I paid over $300 for the darn set, and I haven't used it ONCE since my med school Physical Diagnostics class. Every office I have worked in, including the public health free clinic, has had their own set. UGH! When I think what else I could have done with that money back when I was a starving student...

NancyJ_redo
12-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Last year at about this time I posted a question here asking about otoscopes - I wanted to get DH one for XMas. I knew nothing about them (DH is a doc, but I wanted to surprise him with it, yep...very romantic!). Anyway, someone here recommend a Welch Allyn. I ended up buying a brand new one on Ebay and saved a ton. It's perfect and works great. I suggest checking Ebay once you determine what you want.

tbriese
12-05-2004, 12:32 AM
renee,

i'm actually a veterinarian not an MD but just thought i'd add my 2 cents :-)

i'm assuming you are looking for hand held instruments? not attachments for a wall unit? anyhoo...veterinary options are notoriously cheaper and not of any less quality. i use a hand held base with interchanging heads (ophthalmoscope/otoscope) on a daily basis. i'm pretty certain we use a welch allen. you can find direct and indirect ophthalmoscope heads. we frequently buy through a distributor called Webster - although they may have been bought out by another company recently and i can't remember the name :-(

i don't know if it's any help but i thought i'd suggest it! let me know if i can get you more info.