PDA

View Full Version : How to do background to photograph your child?

jubilee
12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
I wanted to take some nice pics of both boys this weekend (to send out with Christmas cards). But I realized I don't know how to make a good background, like they do at the studios. Any suggestions?

houseof3boys
12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Do you have any velvet? We took some last weekend and draped velvet around the fireplace screen and sat down in front of it. You could drape a solid colored blanket in a chair and have them sit in that too.

You could always do some outside with the leaves (at least here we have lots of pretty colored leaves still falling).

I can't remember whose idea this was (maybe Vicki's) but I bought some silver garland and am going to put some around Ryan and take some holiday pics that way too!

Have fun taking them. Knowing you, I'm sure they'll be fabulous. :)

August Mom
12-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I generally use fleece blankets. I used to move a love seat out into the center of the room and drape the blanket over the back and onto the floor. Then DS could either sit or stand. Now he's too tall for the love seat so I used a soccer goal. Some people use sheets as well.

papal
12-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Julie!
Unless you have the lights and stuff that they have in studios, I would suggest going outside in the morning or evening.. the light would be much better... and mother nature is always the best backdrop imo. :)

mommd
12-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Blankets and cloth shower curtains make good backgrounds, but I agree that the best background is outside! We took our Christmas card picture outside and it came out great. Good luck! :)

August Mom
12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
If you do an indoor shot, I would recommend shooting in room with the most natural light. I take DS's photos in the living room that has a large picture window (from about 8 inches off the ground to 8 feet or so high). I set him up toward the center of the room and sit in front of the window to take the photos (so the light is behind me).

Good luck.

ellies mom
12-04-2004, 03:20 AM
I have a book that suggests setting up your "studio" in the garage with the door up. You would have the door to your side, and set up the sheet, blanket or whatever as the background maybe with props to boot. That way you get lots of that wonderful natural light coming in from the side (oh, so interesting in photos), with a bit of protection from the nasty cold/rain we are supposed to get this weekend.

vikivoly
12-04-2004, 04:47 AM
For babies and small children, I just buy various fabrics. I've used white "fuzzy" felt, black felt, fluffy cow print, etc. Solids are best. If you're looking for props, try a small Christmas tree (about 4 ft), santa hats, garland, beads. Fancy pillows and blankets work great too.

Here's a shot revealing my backdrop. This is simply white fabric that I purchased on clearance from Wal-mart draped over the back of my kitchen barstools! The floor is white felt.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18104.jpg

This is another shot with a plain white fuzzy felt. Sorry it's sideways.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18106.jpg

Here is DD last Christmas in our home with our tree and some poinsettas as the backdrop. She's sitting on an ottoman with a black cloth draped over it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18105.jpg

This is an example of using props to fill in your backdrop.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18107.jpg

Hope they help. Be sure to post your results!

jubilee
12-04-2004, 04:54 AM
Don't you hate looking forward to 6 months of rain... I should drive up to Mt Hood and then I'd have SNOW in the pics! :) I like your idea of the garage... but darn those boxes I've yet to unpack from our move (that was 2 years ago) are littering my "studio"!! LOL
I really appreciate everyone's background suggestions- I think I will actually have to go out and buy something- sheet, fleece blanket, whatever. All mine our patterned so I need to find a nice neutral.

cinrein
12-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Vicki, those are just beautiful! Such gorgeous babes!!

I was going to suggest using the tree as your background, especially since the photos are for Christmas cards.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Those are stunning! Gorgeous babies and gorgeous photos! Wish you lived closer...

ellies mom
12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow, those are beautiful, they look so professional. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

KrisM
12-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Beautiful. I'm now trying to figure out what I can do for a nice Christmas photo at home. If I can get one that is half as good as yours, I'll be extremely happy!

jubilee
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
WOW!! (Can I say that any louder?!) Your photos are wonderful! I am so inspired- I went out today to look at blankets for a background, but everything was too expensive. I didn't even think about going to the fabric store and looking at felt. (Roll my eyes, smacking hand to forehead) So, I've got my mission still and now feel even more inspired than before. You make it sound easy- but of course all professionals like you make it sound easy! That's because you have true talent- I am just hoping I have a smidge of talent :)