PDA

View Full Version : How do you uploadthe video on your MiniDV tapes??

asha
12-03-2004, 07:26 PM
We bought a MiniDV camcorder when DS was 3 months old. Then we started recording. Now we have a whole bunch of tapes and would like to edit and tweak some of them.

First off, how do you upload them to the computer? Mine (Sharp VLZ3U)did not come with a cable. I did some googling and bought a firewire cable and card to interface with the computer. Have not uploaded yet, so keeping my finders crossed. The product manual has no details about this whatsoever :(

Makes me wonder how everyone else is doing this. Any tips?

TIA,

StaceyKim
12-03-2004, 09:10 PM
would like to know the answer myself!
ps my b-day is 11/14!

August Mom
12-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I asked DH to explain this to you, but apparently he didn't seeing as there's no post from me on this topic already. He did do a little research on the model of camera you have and learned that you have no software program included with your camera. So, you will need some sort of video editing program. We use Pinnacle Studio 9, but there are many out there.

I never upload the tapes - DH does that. But, it looks like you plug the cable into your camera and into the computer (probably through the USB port, but I'm not positive) and then upload the tape through the software program. For example, our program has an option to "capture video." Once it's in the program, then you can watch and edit the clips, add music, transitions, etc. and develop a movie.

Java
12-04-2004, 01:49 AM
I have the same camera!

Here's how I do it:
First purchase a firewire cable and card (which you already did). Then you need to get editing software. I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 - complicated but pretty awesome. The program will allow you to capture the miniDV movie and save it onto your computer to edit.

The key is getting the software.

asha
12-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your help with this. I really appreciate it. I need to get some software soon.

What a neat coincidence Stace!! When DS grows up and I dont understand him, may be I will talk to you for insight :)