PDA

View Full Version : AIRLINE RULES: can we pack a leatherman in checked luggage

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-03-2004, 07:44 PM
We are so lucky to be here for eachother and get answers to questions within minutes...gotta love this place...

Steve is wanting to take his leatherman...it is a small tool that has all kind of gadgets, kind of like a Swiss Army Knife (and if you don't know what one is it is an excellent gift to get a DH or any man in your life)...

I know we can't take it on carry on...and I fear it being seized if we check it...

Are we allowed to check it????

thanks in advance,

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

egoldber
12-03-2004, 07:56 PM
According to DH, he wouldn't attempt to take it as carry-on, but he thinks you would have no trouble checking it.

HTH,

pritchettzoo
12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I think it's okay to check for travel within the US, but I would check with the other countries' customs to see what's acceptable. I know my parents brought back Swiss Army knives for everyone their last trip to Switzerland, and they were checked (in the boxes and wrapped with the store seal, so that may make a difference too), but I'm not sure about other countries.

If the worst that could happen is that it's seized, would he be okay with that? They also have minis that are less weapon-y-looking. DH forgot to take it out of his pocket going to the courthouse one day and had a long walk back to the car in the rain, so I know how boys are about losing things like that!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

Laurelsmom2002
12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
DH and his employees check entire tool kits when they travel, in us and international- soo you should be ok if its under the plane.

redhookmom
12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't think my dh would go anywhere if he couldn't bring his with him! Just taking it off his belt to put in the luggage was tragic enough. On our last trip our suitcases were searched and the woman doing the search did see it. So I can only assume that it was OK.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-03-2004, 08:34 PM
good news!!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Momof3Labs
12-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Yes it can be checked (it can't harm anyone when sitting in the belly of the plane) but will be seized if put in a carry on - DH lost his that way.

StaceyKim
12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I haven't been on the boards as much 'cause I have been busy with my 2 kiddies under 2 but I have been thinking about ya and I wish you all the best on your trip. I am looking forward to hearing everything when you return!