PDA

View Full Version : Toys for 3 year old

cara1
12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
DS is getting bored w/ all his toys. They're all too young for him. Family is asking...what toys are good for this age?? He loves the train table in the ped office, but I think it's just the novelty, & he'd lose interest if we had it at home. Other ideas? I also don't want to duplicate something he already has at daycare (e.g. toy kitchen).

Tondi G
12-04-2004, 01:08 AM
My DS is also 3 and he suddenly has a renewed interrest in his brio train stuff...... this week he has been setting up track all over the living room! He is also suddenly into CARS... matchbox and hotwheels. He runs his cars on the train tracks. He also BEGGED DH for the matchbox haunted house set.... thankfully it is a small set without a bunch of ramps and such..... he LOVES that thing and plays with it everyday! Of course he saw a HUGE set on tv that was a volcano and now is asking if Santa can bring him one of those!!!! He loves his Kettler Trike still.... and he also loves his Fisher Price Basketball hoop set at his grandmas house!

Does your DS have a tool belt and workshop? Might be an option. Ds has had tools and such for years and he always whips his out anytime Daddy pulls out a screwdriver for ANYTHING! LOL

He is getting a Leapster from my MIL. The V-smile is also an interresting new toy.... it is an educational video game system of sorts geared towards kids age 3 to 8! MY DS loves to watch Dh play video games and I'd rather he play something educational than just drive a car around crashing into things like he does when he plays daddy's game! LOL

DVD's and books always work for us! Arts & crafts /painting supplies are good too..... my DS really enjoyed watercolors recently... construction paper, crayons, washable markers, drawing paper.

Does your DS have an Easel? we have this one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000899OB/qid=1102140088/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-3304757-1879165?v=glance&s=toys

DS got it last christmas and he loves it! The dry erase side works perfectly with crayola washable markers..... and everything cleans up beautifully with a baby wipe!!!! It has held up well so far and DS has used it a lot! He was very excited last Christmas!

how about a Leappad? Oh and one last thing.... my DS is obsessed with the little store they have at Pottery Barn Kids (if it wasn't HUGE and expensive we'd buy him one)..... they also sell a cash register and it has a little microphone on it. He loves to tell us how much things are and pretend we exchange money etc. He is quite the salesman already! Maybe your DS would be interrested in something like that???

well that should get you started.... If I think of anything else I will add it! Oh and you can always go on TRU.com and look at their suggestions by age..... make up a wish list for your DS and tell people to go to the website so they can see it before they go to the store to buy it! Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Matchbox cars, trucks, trains. Rescue Heroes. Board games like Candyland, Shutes and Ladders, etc. Pirates and dinosaurs are big too. Books are always good. And out most coveted toy last year was a toy Hoover Wind Tunnel (go figure) - there was many a fight over that one.

There have been lots of good toy threads in Around the House.

cara1
12-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Really? Is a 3yo really ready for games with rules? He still doesn't get the rule of "don't take your clothes off" or 'Don't throw your shoes from the back seat of the car!"

egoldber
12-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Here are some of DD's favs right now:

dress up box (filled with old scarves, hats, purses, costumes, etc.)
kitchen and cooking

doll, doll stroller and pretend play

Playdoh, cookie cutters and a rolling pin

Art supplies - she loves it when I put a big piece of paper on the
floor and let her go to town with crayons, coloring pencils, stickers, scissors, glue, pompom balls, feathers, beads, etc.

Stickers and sticker books - she may put me in the poorhouse with stickers!!!

Small figure sets - we have some from the dollar store that are Pooh and friends, Dora and friends, Blue and friends, etc.

Simple games like memory cards, Candyland, matching dominos, etc.

LeapFrog Fridge Phonics - I hate to say it since I don't like electronic toys but she LOVES this thing and she is definitely learning the letters and their sounds

Magnetic animal sets

Colorforms

HTH,

cara1
12-04-2004, 10:09 PM
So, really, she "gets" candyland???

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Even my 2.5 yo plays Candyland, etc., although not exactly "by the book"! And yes, I do have to say "stop throwing your cars", just about every day. They really love the games, though.

jesseandgrace
12-04-2004, 10:17 PM
They definitely like Candy Land, and as for the train table it is a big hit. I got a plain white one, so it is also used for arts and crafts stuff, and as a surface for all kinds of games and toys like Legos. The legos that are for three and up were a huge hit with ds last year. They have jungle safari legos and stuff like that. He also loved balls and hockey sticks, golf clubs, etc.

egoldber
12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Oh we have to help her. But she loves to play. "Lets play a game mommy!"