PDA

View Full Version : Is glitter girly?

psophia17
12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I got creative a couple of days ago, and made up DS's first birthday invitation using Microsoft Publisher. Today I bought some glitter, and did some decorating.

DH things that glitter is girly...FIL said that I shouldn't use glitter in the colors of the rainbow because it's girly. Now, I don't figure when DS is 10 that I'll be throwing glitter around at his birthday party, but what's wrong with a little tasteful glitter application?

The invite has overlapping blocks in orange, yellow, and blue surrounding a picture of a slice of cake. I outlined the picture in blue glitter, the orange box in red glitter, the yellow box in green glitter, and the blue box in rainbow glitter. Is that girly?

I trust the opinions on the board more than I trust the opinions of DH and FIL - what do you think, glitter or no?

RwnMayfair
12-04-2004, 02:45 AM
I don't think it's girly. Now, maybe if you dressed him in a glittery gown that would be girly, but glitter by itself - no. ;) It just adds a bit of extra pizazz to something. :) Heck, I can remember my brother puttin glitter on some art things he made when we were little.

So no, I don't think it's girly. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

californiagirl
12-04-2004, 10:40 AM
On this one, I'm with my DH -- "But he's a *baby*" (This is DH's complaint about all questions of gender-appropriateness or distinctions in kinds of clothing for the under-2 set.) Honestly, I do not think glitter is girly. Now if it were pink and on fairy wings, that would be different. But plain old glitter is just childish, which is appropriate for a 1 year old.

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Unless it is pink or purple, which it is not, then the answer is no! Especially for a one year old.

psophia17
12-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks ladies :-)

I finished glittering up the invites this morning - they go out on Monday :D Poo on DH and FIL, who after seeing the finished product, also said that it wasn't as bad as they had thought it might be...