PDA

View Full Version : After reading Neve's post about the Leatherman....

kensjen
12-04-2004, 08:29 AM
I think DH would love one of those!! So, that is his final gift that I have been stumped about. Now to decide...which one to get?? I have no idea, not a tool person myself...what does your DH have? Or which one would he want?? Thanks for your help as always....;)

kelly ann
12-04-2004, 08:34 AM
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago on Amazon (Friday sale) for my father. It is larger than I thought it would be (bigger than a Swiss Army knife), but I really think he will love it. DH saw it and liked it so I say go for it. Amazon had a bunch of different models, but DH said he saw some gift sets (with a flashlight??) at Costso.

I say buy it :)

lizajane
12-04-2004, 10:29 AM
i think there is an official brand name "leatherman" tool that costs arond $50. that is the one i would recommend. there are some other brands that have the same kind of product. and i think leatherman has a smaller, less expensive option. but i dig the original! dh loves his, even though he doesn't wear it on his belt daily or anything.

we gave leatherman tools are our groomsman gift. i thought we were cool! ;)

marie
12-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Leatherman Wave.

that's the one you want. our Costco has it in a gift set with a mini mag lite (flashlight) with sheath (which holds both the mag lite and the leatherman - DH is reading over my shoulder right now and says that some people don't like that particular sheath because it is bigger on your belt.) Sheaths come in a leather or nylon version. DH has the leather version to wear everyday to work (his dress sheath!) and a nylon one that holds the mag lite for working on projects around the house.

DH comes from a pocket knife family and everyone has the Wave (FIL builds post and beam houses, BIL is a ski lift mechanic - very tool oriented folks!). I myself have the Leatherman Micra (with nail file!) on my key chain.

we gave Micras to all of our wedding attendants (men and women) with their names engraved and they were a hit.

happy shopping!

MartiesMom2B
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I gave DH the wave for his wedding gift (we were going to hike etc on our honeymoon). He loves it. There are a ton of little gadgets in that thing. He just has the leather sheath though. I think it was the top leatherman to give when I bought it.

-Sonia

pritchettzoo
12-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Does your DH carry a pocketknife? If so, there is a really small version of the Leatherman that has screwdrivers and scissors (and other stuff, but those are the most used by my DH) in it, but is small enough to fit in your pocket. DH carries his constantly in all but his nicest dress pants (otherwise he accidentally takes it into court), and the scissors especially are handy. DH thinks it's called the Micro or Micra or something like that.

DH just said if he wants to carry it in his pocket, get the Micro one. If he'll carry it on his belt, get the Wave.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

kensjen
12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Yes, I want a "Leatherman", but there are many models! I am thinking the new wave, I will probably get that.
Thanks everyone, as always...you guys know about everything!

kijip
12-04-2004, 11:44 PM
If he is going to use it in a shop or for outdoor activities I suggest a Wave or the PST or a bit smaller the Pulse(?). The Micra is quite small (weighs less than 2 ounces), has no pliers (the TRULY special thing about leathermans) and is really best as a handy pocket gadget for general use or travel- not for camping or repair type work. I have a PST. I have used leatherman pliers FOR EVERYTHING. I once had a pack zipper break on a 6 week hiking trip. I used the pliers to fix the zipper and basically save my trip....