PDA

View Full Version : NEED TO VENT...A feeling fat and scary moment (or rather month!!)

SASM
12-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I am apologizing in advance. I know that I am not here as much as I used to be but I have nowhere else to vent: I recently moved to a new area, my girlfriends suddenly have seemed to take an email vacation, and DH CLEARLY does not understand :( So...I am sorry...

BRIEF BACKGROUND: I gained 50# during Ian's pregnancy and finally was back down to 20# less than pre-preg weight a year and a half later. I worked out for an hour and a half 5 days a week for over a year, logged and calculated calories for EVERY bite that I ate, and it was VERY HARD!! I was so proud of that accomplishment. We have moved twice since finding out about the pregnancy and my workout/eating schedule went down the toilet as soon as I moved back to my hometown for 4 months :( At 29 weeks gestation, I am at a 30# gain and the butt jiggle is back with a vengeance :(

Okay...here it goes. Two days ago I found out that we have to attend a "black tie optional" event for DH's new group. I knew the inventory in my half of the closet wasn't going to cut it. Yesterday, I was on a mission to find the perfect sexy outfit to show off my beautiful, albeit flabby, belly. I went to all of the maternity stores that I could find. Scary options for long black dresses, or any long (needs to be long thanks to the newly HUGE varicose veins haunting my lower legs) dresses for that matter. So, after shopping with a very tolerant Ian, I came home with two black Gap Maternity tops to pair with some basic black pants. In the evening, as soon as we finished getting Ian settled into bed, I told DH to sit down in the BR while I showed him what I came up with. I hadn't seen the combinations yet myself. The two tops kind of worked with the pants (DH liked the one that I wasn't leaning towards) but they didn't make me feel "sexy" or dressed up enough for a "black tie optional" affair. So...then I had a brainstorm. We went to a black tie affair last NYE and I still had that dress, which was a long black velvet thing with a long slit up the front and from my still-overweight collection. So...I tried it on and looked in the mirror. It was tight but from the front, due to the opaqueness of the fabric, it seemed to have hidden the flaws, the hem looked even, and I actually looked "voluptuous" and hippy :) Then, I turned to the side and WHOA!!! All I could see was black velvet boobs and a belly!! I stepped out so DH could see and he burst out laughing :( Okay...so maybe my view was somewhat skewed :( Then...I remembered another favorite stretchy dress of mine...an Anne Taylor V-neck and V-back dress made of a black chiffon-ish type fabric. I tried that on and thought that it looked pretty good. No high slit, appealing V's in front and back, very classy style, looked decent form the side although it gathered somewhat around the middle. Stepped out so DH could see and the laughter was much more than the velvet dress :( I went back into the closet and started crying that I wish that we had the expendable cash for a little pampering, that I felt fatter than with Ian at 9+ months, my hair has lost its natural curl and I am looking like the Bride of Frankenstein, and my complexion is HORRENDOUS!!! I started talking about the photos from the Forth of July when I was "buff", thin-faced, even-complexioned, and radiant. DH was looking at me like I was from another planet. Maybe I was at that point! You know...those ugly hormones that wreak havoc on the emotions and logic. He asked what I was talking about...that I looked normal and everything is fine. YOU DO NOT TELL A WOMAN WHO IS PREGNANT THAT SHE LOOKS NORMAL!!!! Geez...I want to cry again just thinking about his reaction. He says that the women at work are telling him that I do not need to go out and buy anything, but I do not want to go in there dressed differently from everyone else and have a belly out the there to boot!! So...now I have an event in two weeks that I am not going to look fabulous for AND I feel HORRIBLE about my appearance as well :( I only wish that my hair stylist didn't live 8 hours away!!! :( That would be a possible quick "fix". This AM DH was saying that I could wear one of the back tops with the black pants and "we'll get a white shawl and a nice necklace". It is a start, right? :)

So...sorry about the ranting... Sorry about the novel... Gotta run now...Ian is screaming for me. Thank you for "listening". So...maybe this had something to do with my insomnia episode last night. Now...what to do about the rest of my insomnia problems!! :)

gour0
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry you're feeling so much pressure about this party. I understand. (luckily, I got out of attending this year's holiday party) I'm sorry your dh laughed at you, doesn't he know how dangerous that is? But, in a way, you are supposed to look pregnant at 29 weeks..... Noone is going to think badly of you, no matter what you wear. What I did was throw away the pictures from the last two holiday parties. They were not flattering so I just 'lost' them.
I think the black pants and top sound good. Maybe go get yourself some jewelry? Hang in there, and go do something nice for yourself.

trumansmom
12-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Nothing but hugs for you! I went through the same thing. Even though I was sick through my pregnancy and only delivered 8 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight(which is considerably overweight and 20 pounds more than my first pregnancy weight, mind you) those 8 pounds were cruel! I remember desperately trying to find a nice professional outfit because I had to go to the state legislature and lobby. I felt fat, frumpy and ineffective all day.

But then I had a baby and felt great again. Just remember, it will get better soon.

Now go eat some chocolate! Or take a bubble bath! Or splurge on make-up!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I can understand how you feel.
My sister, who just gave birth 2 months ago, came up for Thanksgiving, and she wore and all black dress...it was so pretty, and she wore a bright long scarf ot go with it...
The scarf really worked wonders as it drew your attention away from everything...
Hav eyou tried to get a really snazzy accesory?
I bet it would go a long way! Good luck and have fun!

Momof3Labs
12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh, Sharyn, hon! I wish that I could do something to help (actually, I have an idea - more in a sec). But have you ever heard that baby girls "take their mother's beauty"? It's mostly an old wives' tale, but it sure sounds like this little girl of yours is taking more than you feel like you have to spare!

I'm going to e-mail you with my idea...

DebbieJ
12-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Sorry you're feeling so down. I like the scarf idea. I bet Lori has something nice in her online shop for you.

(((HUGS)))

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

brigmaman
12-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow, "normal?" Ouch. At one point during my pregnancy this summer, I said something to dh like, "You have no idea what it's like to work (I worked doing gardening) with 30 extra lbs. around your waist." His reaction was, "No, but I've been fat." Um...where's the comparison here?!! Wrong response, buddy.
I have a black wrap dress that I'd gladly lend you if you'd like. Not sure what size you are. I liked it because it was a bit low up top (where it wraps) and yet it didn't make me feel like a house. I really believe it's important to feel great about the way you look when you're pregnant.
Just email me if you're interested!

jbowman
12-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Really big hugs! I'm sorry that you are having a rough time. I ALWAYS accesorize with jewelry! I think it makes everything look better--and a pretty necklace will draw attention to your face.

Also--could you try the dresses on with pantyhose? That might "loosen" them up a bit and make them hang better/look smoother. When I was PG, DH bought me some Belly Basics tights/pantyhose and they were wonderful!

psophia17
12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Lori - do you have an online shop? I'd love to check it out, if you could tell me where it's at...

Thanks!!

psophia17
12-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm really annoyed at your DH for laughing at you.

I'll bet that you looked stunning in your dresses with your belly and hips and everything looking all pg and womanly - I think pregnant bodies are absolutely gorgeous, and so do DH and a lot of people that I know. Big boobs, stretch marks, and round hips and bum are badges of honor when you're pg - nothing in the world could possibly be more beautiful!

I think that the V-neck dress sounds lovely, and if you're all boobs and belly, a V-neck should draw attention upwards, to where I'm positive that you're gorgeous, even if it's not what you consider your best. And who says there's something wrong with velvet boobs? Wear them with pride, and dare your DH not to want to touch them!!

I know it's cold comfort when you're tired, can't sleep, and feeling unpretty, but this could be exactly the right opportunity to feel as beautiful and womanly as you are! Splurge on whatever it is that will make you feel gorgeous, make-up, accessories, whatever, and keep in mind while you do it that you deserve it, becasue you do!

kristine_elen
12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
I so know how you feel. ... Have you tried Motherhood Maternity? They have (or had when I was preg) lots of cute dresses for not much money. Even if you get a short black one you could buy mat. black tights to hide the veins. That could look so cute! They have a good web site, too.
Good luck!
If it makes you feel better, this still happens to me and I'm not even pregnant!

Momof3Labs
12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
E-mailed you! ;)

SASM
12-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Thank you, Stacey :) I NEED some jewelery :) I WISH that I could get out of the party, too, but DH just started with this group and we need to socialize ~ not to mention go on a date before #2 arrives! :)

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Jeanne,

OMG...8#!!! You really must have been sick :(

Ooooooooh...chocolate sounds good :) It is not too late ~ maybe just one bite! CAN I TAKE A BUBBLE BATH?????? I thought that we couldn't during PG? I have this beautiful jetted tub that I haven't been able to use since we moved in and it is KILLING ME!!!!!

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Valerie,

I am so happy to hear about your sister's attire :) I was thinking of a nice bright scarf ~ for some reason I am drawn to pink, what do you think? Too casual for black tie? I also saw a really pretty brooch at Nordstrom Rack last week with varying shades of purples and lavenders. Not sure if that is too little of an accessory ~ what would you put with a brooch??

Thank you!! :)

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:09 PM
OMG, Lori...that is so sweet. I am getting teary :) I've never heard of that but I REALLY like the sound of it :) :) :) Mabe I really AM having a girl!!! :)

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Trish,

Congratulations to you on your little Cadie :) LOVE her name!! :)

And..."OUCH" back at ya!! I will email you :)

Thank you!

papal
12-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Sharyn! I am sure you look fabulous girlie.. give your dh a kick in the butt from me.. :)
If you want a gorgeous pashmina to accesorize with, give me a holler. Are we seeing you tmmrw??

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:28 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOH...That is an idea!!! Didn't even think of that!! I have maternity support hose and that is all I was thinking about ~ NOT WEARING THOSE under the dress!!!! Where did your VERY sweet DH find Belly Basics?? I will try that out tomorrow...WITHOUT DH!!!!! Although...I THOUGHT that the dresses looked fine ~ according to DH's reaction, the hormones must be affecting my eyesite and fashion judgement as well!! :( YIKES!!

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:36 PM
OMG...Petra, I am laughing and crying!! Reading everyone's posts is making me soooooo hormonal!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comforting words. I, too, think that the curvy PG body is beautiful BUT since the closet episode all I keep thinking now is "What if everyone at the party will be along DH's line of thinking??" I am afraid that people will just stare and NOT think that I have a beautiful PG physique :( I WISH that I was just belly and boobs BUT I have the newly HUGE bum and thighs to go along with them :(

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:41 PM
I DID check out Motherhood!! I am soooooo afraid of going into that store because of their RIDICULOUS "return" policy; however, I JUST discovered that Macy's has a Motherhood store INSIDE their store and it extends their regular return policy!!! I wouldn't be stuck with clothes that I do not want the next day after viewing them at home!!! YEAH!! Unfortunately, my Macy's didn't have the greatest selection the day that I went. I am going to try them out later in the week.

THANK YOU!! :)

SASM
12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Rashmi,

I am going to email you :)

gour0
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Or Gap? They seem to have nice maternity stuff. Here's a dress I found online:
http://www.discountdressup.com/maexdr.html

You should get yourself something fun and tell your husband to stuff it. :)

gour0
12-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Looks like Nordy's has them. Also Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/6blnh

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
I am not a fasion expert by any means, but, I think that if you found a dressy scarf it would look great! I was a target today and they had a lot of really pretty nice scarves that I think would look great.
On a side not, I always felt so fat and horrible being pregnant, but most people look at you like you are just radiant and glowing because of being pregnant!
Best of luck!

cinrein
12-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Oh Sharyn!! Your DH needs some schooling in how to deal with a preggo mama! I'm so sorry he laughed. :( I agonize over semi-formal attire on a good not pregnant day, so I can only imagine what it's like for you.

If you want some girly company on a shopping trip, I'd be happy to help. I promise if something doesn't look great on you I won't laugh. And I have a hair stylist that I love, love, love. She's in Fairfax and can work wonders. LMK if you'd like to pay her a visit.

BTW, when I met you at the last get-together I didn't even realize you were pregnant. It wasn't until I noticed your siggy here and I was floored! You did not look pregnant girlie!

Hugs
Cindy and Anna February 2003

jbowman
12-05-2004, 07:42 AM
IMHO there is nothing that panythose can't fix fashion-wise, IYKWIM?! I even wear them with pants sometimes if I need a little "help." It's like an instant 5-lb weight loss!

My DH got them at Nordstroms.com and they were very comfortable!

I am sure you will look very pretty regardless of what you decide to wear! Good luck and have fun!

SASM
12-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I tried Gap ~ that is where I bought the two black tops :) Also found a sweater that is being mailed to me :)

That dress is very cute ~ I am going to check out the sizing. I DOUBT like h*ll that it will look as good on me as it does on the mannequin :) WAIT...that is not fair...the mannequin doesn't even look PG!!!! :)

SASM
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I am sooooooo going to Nordy's tomorrow!! Thank you, girls!

SASM
12-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Cindy,

THANK YOU!!!! You are so sweet :) I would LOVE to take you up on the offer, too!! I would LOVE the name of your gal and maybe we can do a get-together at FO sometime :) I want to hear all about the gathering today... We'll talk...

THANK YOU!!

SASM
12-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Girls,

I just wanted to send out a HUGE "Thank you" to you all :) I am feeling sooooooo much better about things. It is AMAZING what a little (((support))) and time will do :)

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!

jesseandgrace
12-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi. Its been a while since I've been pregnant, but dh and I went to a wedding when I was pregnant with ds. I wore a long black dress and a bright scarf. I am being totally serious when I say people LOVE seeing a pregnant woman all dressed up. I had so much attention I can not even tell you. I'm sure you will look beautiful, and you will look especially good if you believe you look good.

RwnMayfair
12-06-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm behind, but I'm glad you're feeling better! I was lucky when I was pregnant with Taran - I never really felt bad being fat because I figured I was just supposed to be big since I was pregnant. ;) Of course, I didn't have to go to any black tie events either, which probably helped. Now of course, I'm back to occasionally feeling like I'm fat. (Especially when the checkout clerk at Costco exclaimed a few weeks ago, "Oh, how old is your baby? And you're expecting again!" ::sigh::)

And wow, I'm proud of you for that weightloss after Ian was born! I wish I had that kind of determination! I really need to get myself back into the exercising routine and whatnot. But if you did it once, you'll be able to do it again. Besides, just think about what the extra jiggle will ultimately bring in the end. :) (And I'm talking about the new baby!)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

trumansmom
12-06-2004, 01:54 AM
People have mixed things to say about bubble baths. My doc told me that it would have to be way hotter than comfortable to do any harm to the baby. Which makes sense to me since I spent a significant chunk of labor in the jacuzzi tub at the hospital.

If I were you, I would ask my doc. I loved baths when I was pregnant. However, you might want to make sure DH is around to help you get out afterward. That was always a bit scary.

Take care of yourself-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04