PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable to express sorry for loss in a Christmas card?

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Recently one of my former coworkers of 8 years passed away. We worked closely together and kept in touch after I left. I did go to her service, but was unable to say anything meaningful to her family because I was crying so much. I have felt bad that I was a crying mess and was not able to say what I wanted to.

I am planning on sending her husband a Christmas card, as I have sent them one every year. I was thinking of including a separate note to say that I have been thinking of him, etc. I was wondering if that would be okay. On the other hand, I think it would be odd if I just said "Happy New Year!" or some such thing like I would in a regular card. What would you do?

Bearhut
12-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I am so sorry that you lost such a good friend. This is a difficult time of year for those who have lost loved ones.

I think that it would be wonderful for you to include a note in the Christmas card. My husband and I have lost many close family members in the last five years and it's so hard at the holidays. Everything goes on as "usual" for the rest of the world and nothing will every be as "usual" for those who have a recent loss. Including a note will hopefully give your friends husband some sense that she has not been forgotten and that she lives in your heart as well as his.

JLiebCamm
12-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I think it would be perfectly OK to add a personal note about the loss in a Christmas card. In some ways, it seems strange not to, as if you're avoiding the obvious. I wonder if there is a Christmas card that you could buy individually at a card shop that specifically fits the situation (something that has a 'thinking of you' type of message).

amp
12-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I would not write it in the Christmas card, but I think it would be perfectly acceptable and appreciated if you included a separate note. He is thinking of her just as you are, especially at the holidays and it being such a recent loss, so not mentioning it might be strange. Yet putting it on the Christmas card would seem less personal. I would just include the note as you stated. I am sure he will appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'm sorry you lost such a good friend and coworker.

Kieransmom
12-05-2004, 01:03 PM
I think it would be a wonderful idea if you sent her husband a separate note in their Christmas card. I think it would mean a lot to him to know that you still think of his wife and are concerned for his families well-being. The holidays are tough when losing a loved one and I think knowing that someone cares will be quite helpful. When you lose someone sometimes you worry that others have forgotten their loved ones. It's so reassuring to know that they have made such a difference in someone elses life.

I am so sorry for your loss!
Michelle

Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03
Aunt to Alexandra Juliette, born 12/4/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-05-2004, 02:23 PM
I think it would be wonderful to send a little note in the card or just write on the card. My dad died unexpectedly adn suddenly right before Christmas last year and this time of year is so horrible.
What really sucks is when life does go on around you and no one says anything to you about it (which I'm sure its because they dont know what to say). I have gotten a few cards from friends with nice notes in them, and it feels so good to know that others are thinking about us.
I say go for it!