PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a photo printer?

lukkykatt
12-04-2004, 02:15 PM
DH and I have been thinking of getting one because I have NOT kept up with printing them out via Shutterfly. DH was thinking it might be easier if we had our own printer.

In the past, I have heard that it is cheaper to use a printing service. Wondering if the prices have come down enough to make getting our own printer a better deal. If anyone has one, what is good? Anything else I should watch out for?

PS: Only thinking of doing this because DH has shot down all my other ideas - we always get a joint gift for Christmas.

ETA: words left out; d'oh!

Rachels
12-04-2004, 03:33 PM
The problem with printing large quantities of photos at home is the cost of ink. It's crazy how expensive the ink cartridges are. Whenever I get way behind at Shutterfly, I either wait for a big sale or get a prepaid print plan. Either way, it's cheaper than doing them at home.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

ellies mom
12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
The ink is expensive, but since I scrapbook I think it is worth it to have a photo printer. If you want to print up all of your pictures like you would if using regular film, then using a photo printer can be a hassle and rather expensive. The photo printer is good if you like to print just some of your pictures, or extra copies without waiting, or in my case for scrapbooking.

The better printers have a special "photo" cartridge and a special "black and white photo" cartridge. Don't get a printer where you have to swap out cartridges. If it can use four different cartridges, make sure it holds four cartridges. Make sure the printer has a separate black cartridge from the color cartridges (although that isn't usually a problem anymore). I have an HP printer that has a special 4x6 paper tray. That is so convenient.

I've always used HP printers but Epson and Cannon also make excellent photo printers.

hjdong
12-04-2004, 04:08 PM
We replace our own ink, using a kit from Costco - it makes it very cost effective. However, I would say I get behind in printing. It's just kind of a pain, and when you print out a lot, like multiple copies for family etc., then you have to replace the ink a lot. Also, I wouldn't say the quality is as high as a professional place. However, I'm cheap, so ultimately, it's what I do.

Tondi G
12-04-2004, 05:36 PM
I would suggest an HP photo printer if you are going to buy one! We have an Epson and it sucks.... my mom got an even better Epson one a year later and is now having trouble with her printer too! My friend had a Canon printer and she didn't mind it. Overall everyone I know who has had an HP photo printer has been happy with it!

Good luck with your decision!

~Tondi

KrisM
12-04-2004, 09:26 PM
We have an Epson and love it. We have had no problems with it and have had it since last Christmas. We chose Epson, because they were the only ones who were able to print onto CDs and my husband wanted taht feature. Ink is expensive, of course. We still do Snapfish for when we want a bunch of photos, but print at home mostly.