PDA

View Full Version : Amby Baby transition to crib

madtowngirl
12-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Has anyone transitioned their ambybaby sleeper to a crib. Our DS has always slept in an amby baby hammock but is getting too big for it. He is 7 months old & is a good napper but hasn't slept through the night yet. We tried to move him to a crib on Friday & he just screamed everytime he woke up. I don't think he knows how to settle himself in the crib. He's used to bouncing the amby baby & going back to sleep. Plus the crib is upstairs in his nursery & the amby baby is downstairs in our room - so that may have had something to do with it.

We can see he is going to grow out of the hammock soon and we are dreading moving him to the crib. At first I thought he might like the crib better b/c theres more room to spread out but he keeps hitting his head on the rails when he rolls over.

Any advice???

MorganMom
12-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Are you sure he's outgrowing his amby? I know the website says max weight (with one spring) is like 30lbs and 59lbs w/two springs.

My DS was nearly a year old before we switched him to the crib...he was 95% for height and weight and was still only 24lbs. and had plenty of room in the amby.

When we were getting ready to swtich DS to his crib , we started by putting him down for naps in there. Took several weeks but he eventually learned to sleep decently w/naps. Then we started putting him in there at night- when he woke up to nurse I'd bring him back into our room. Eventually he slept thru the night in his crib w/no problems....but it was def. not a quick process.

As for banging his head: do you have crib bumpers on? I know they're a SIDS risk, but at 7 mos and rolling over, your DS would probably be ok with them. Our crib had the bumpers on from the start (it still does! LOL We took the crib rail off and DS sleeps in there like it's a toddler bed) and DS never had a problem with them since he was 8 or 9 mos when we started letting him nap in there.

HTH

madtowngirl
12-05-2004, 02:39 PM
I don't have the bumpers on. I was thinking of just returning them b/c I read that its around this age that you normally take them off anyways. I'll look at them again - it seemed like they wouldn't really add much protection - not very cushiony.

No - I'm not really sure he's outgrown it. I mean, he looks real smushed & the spring is pretty streched out. But he naps well in there. Last night he slept from 11:30-4:30 so he can't be all that uncomfortable. Its just he keeps gaining weight & we feel like soon he'll be over the limit. We bought the 2nd spring & put it on but the amby baby didn't bounce at all then. Maybe it will once he's closer to the 30 lb limit.

I think we'll take your approach with working with naps first. I think we did too much too soon - maybe by then he won't be bonking his head either. He's just so big - he even takes up most of the crib & has no room to move around.