PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting your father for the holidays?

rrosen
12-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Almost all of my holiday shopping is completed. I am missing a gift for one very important person, my Dad. I can't for the life of me come up with an idea that I haven't done already. The man has everything! Please tell me what you are giving your Dad.

I need help!

new_mommy25
12-05-2004, 04:47 PM
My dad is notoriously impossible to shop for. It's easier if he tells us what he wants and we pay for it. Usually it's a plant from a nursery. (He's an extremely gifted gardener). This year he wants a Bonsai. My brother's going to take him to pick one up and then I will send my brother half of whatever it costs.

jbowman
12-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Rebecca,

DH and I got my dad a Greenberg smoked turkey (LOL, they were on Oprah's favorite things last year). We live in Tyler, Texas, which is where Greenberg is located, so it's fitting and my dad LOVES turkey! I guess we answered the eternal question, "what do you give a 60-something retired guy who has everything?" Our answer: a smoked turkey!

If you are interested, here's the website: http://www.gobblegobble.com/

They are really friendly and accomodating!

kelly ann
12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
A leatherman wave knife tool and a subscription to the magazine called Mental Floss (had great reviews on Amazon).

Also, I bought a leather monogrammed catchall/valet from Red Envelope for my uncle who is impossible to shop for.

Good luck - why are men so hard to shop for???

JLiebCamm
12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
I got a wireless "weather station" for my FIL, who is terrible to buy for. It's gadgety, but he's obsessed with the weather and will probably entertain himself with it for a while. I also picked him up an assortment of DVDs that I thought he'd enjoy watching.

rrosen
12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Kelly Ann,
Thank you! That magazine is PERFECT for my Dad! I ordered a subscription and the book that the editors also wrote. I'll give him the book wrapped up and a card saying I signed him up for a subscription.

Thank you!

rrosen
12-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Jessica,
We got my Dad a weather station a couple of years ago. It was (and is) a big hit!

papal
12-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the Mental Floss magazine idea (I had never heard of it prior)! I am getting one for dh who loves trivia and stuff like that.

redhookmom
12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Mental Floss looks great. I can't decide if FIL or Dad will enjoy it more.

redhookmom
12-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Were you able to enter his address for the subscription?

JMS
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Jessica,
Do you mind if I ask what Weather Station you bought (and if you purchased it online)? That's a great gift for my also hard-to-shop-for Dad, but a quick google search made me realize that some pre-purchase research is a good idea.
Thanks.

C99
12-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Aren't buying for dads hard? This year, I am buying him clothing, because that is what he asked for. (He just got a job after close to 3 years of unemployment, so hasn't been buying himself much.) His birthday is also just about a week after Christmas, so I have the double whammy of birthday and Christmas. In past years, I've gotten him books (we have the same taste in novels, so that helps) or book gift certificates, or movie gift certificates (hey, I wonder if a Netflix sub would be a good one?). For two years, I donated money to World Vision in his name. For most people in my life who have a lot of *stuff* and don't need/want more, I try to buy experiential gifts: tickets to the opera or symphony, spa treatments, memberships to museums or magazines, etc.

kelly ann
12-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Ooohhh...I didn't know there is a book. I just wrapped up the current issue for him (picked it up at Borders). Off to Amazon to check out the book - Thanks :)

lisaE
12-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I subscribe to Mental Floss. Your gift is going to be a hit- it's a great magazine.

lisaE
12-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I forgot to say what I'm getting my dad. We all agreed to keep it small this year, so I'm getting him beef jerky! It looks good, it comes from Williams Sonoma. He loves beef jerky and he is impossible to buy for.

LD92599
12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
We got my FIL a gift certificate to Morton's...he loves steakhouses and has been raving about Morton's since we went there a few weeks ago!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

JLiebCamm
12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I actually bought the one they have at Sam's Club. I was looking at both that one and the one in LL Bean and basically went for the one that had more bells and whistles. I actually don't know that much about what to look for; I hope I didn't make a mistake!

rrosen
12-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Yes, I just entered it as the shipping address.

jamsmu
12-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I always get my dad a gift cert. to the movies. Hannukah, Christmas, Birthday and Fathers Day. Usually I give it to him with popcorn. Predictable, but mom always says its his favorite gift!!

Have to check out mental floss, though.

christic
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Just finished building him a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Hope he doesn't think it's for diapers ;).

luvbeinmama
12-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, my dad has everything, too. So, I've given up and give him the same thing each year for Christmas (started a couple years ago). My dad loves chili, but mom hates beans, so she never makes chili where the beans have simmered in, flavoring the soup. So, on Christmas Day, I make a double batch of my turkey chili (with beans) extra hot. He LOVES it! He has chili for a couple weeks solid for lunch, LOL! So, that's my solution for the dad who has everything.