PDA

View Full Version : Car snacks for pregnancy?

SASM
12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Just curious what snacks you have kept in the car while pregnant. All I have in the car are Ian's healthy, but MEGA carb-loaded, snacks (sesame sticks, rice cakes, corn puffs, honey wheat pretzels). His snacks are great for him ~ easy to pass to the backseat and not loaded with sugar ~ HOWEVER, they are not all that great for me. I am TRYING to cut down on the carbs AND fat but when in a pinch (traffic jam or long errand day) I go straight for his snacks. :( Confession...sometimes I will finish a bag :( I always try to have enough water but I want to try and keep some snacks in the car for me. Any suggestions on snacks that would keep in the car for extended periods (no cheese sticks or produce ~ that's for home)? Note: I am allergic to most nuts.

TIA!!!

Rachels
12-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Actually, carbs helped me pretty much, so I had a lot of carb snacks around, too. Other than that, my main focus was stuff with protein. What about energy bars, that sort of thing? I also kept fruit around.

Don't feel bad about finishing off a bag of baby snacks. You're pregnant and stuck in traffic. It's okay.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

C99
12-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Pria bars (made by Powerbar) are my friend. I love them. And so does Nate. They do have some new Carb-Select Pria bars, but I don't follow low-carb diets so I haven't paid attention. I know that the regular ones are 110 calories and 5g of protein. You can get them at Trader Joe's for about 79 cents each and my local grocery store usually sells them for about 99 cents each.

brigmaman
12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
I had pretzels with me most of the time, too. Ooohh and goldfish...lots of goldfish. Maybe you could bring along a package of dried fruit mix. Sunmaid (I think) has a bunch of different kinds that are pretty yummmy- and I don't really even like fruit. :)

houseof3boys
12-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I keep boxes of raisins in the car and cheese/peanut butter low fat crackers!

I wouldn't worry about carbs my dear. You should just worry about eating when you're hungry.

Thought of you last night at 4 am, btw. :)

alkagift
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Y'know, I wasn't too concerned with carbs while preggo, I was HUNGRY!!!

Perhaps if you kept a ziploc bag of trail mix you made yourself (with the nuts you could tolerate, for example) that would be ok. I liked making some with dried cherries, chopped apricots, coconut flakes and banana chips (dried not the fried ones). I also liked organic cereal bars from Whole Foods (there was a raspberry one) but I'm sure it wasn't low carb.

Honestly, if I was driving any distance for work and stuck in the car, I ate...um...Moon Pies. Clearly I have no business offering advice. I didn't gain too much weight during my preg though, surprisingly.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

pritchettzoo
12-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Beef jerky? Turkey jerky?

If you know you're going to be out and about, what about getting a lunch cooler with one of those freezable inserts and stuffing it with cheese sticks, small yogurts, boxed milk, etc.?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

SASM
12-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Rachel,

Ohhh...I like the idea of the energy bars!!! I completely forgot how much I like Lunas!! Thank you :)

And CONGRATS for hitting the 2.5 year mark for nursing!! All I have to say is WOW! :)

SASM
12-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Pria...I haven't tried those!! I definitely like the TJ price ~ definitely worth checking out. Any favorite flavors that agree with the baby?? :)

CONGRATS on the #2!!!!!! How is Nate doing?

SASM
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Debbi,

I wish that I could say that I thought of you but I was ASLEEP!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!! I actually only woke up for one bathroom trip, besides!!! The flannel sheets, switching back to my side, EARPLUG!!, and darkened room REALLY helped (not to mention the Benedryl was back in my arsenal!!) :) Good luck tonight! Hopefully you won't be thinking of me :)

And...I know that I shouldn't be concerned about carbs BUT did you read my other post :( I am approaching a scary # on the scales :( This week I am watching carbs. Unfortunately, I have no doubt that next week I'll be back to my sweets and carbs :(

SASM
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
OHHHH...I REALLY like the idea of MAKING my own trail mix!!!! Why didn't I think of that???? Good idea!!! :)

SASM
12-06-2004, 11:07 PM
You know...I think that would be a VERY smart thing to do. I, admittedly, am just not very smart at the moment! DH keeps telling me that with every PG it seems as though my IQ drops more and more for 9 months, especially as the 9th month approaches :) I have to agree with him ~ I am forgetting wayyyyyyy too much!! At least I remeember Ian's drinks. I'll just have to get into the habit of packing perishables for me. The car snacks are just to leave in there for "emergency" hunger attacks :)

THANK YOU! Love the turkey jerky idea!!

C99
12-06-2004, 11:25 PM
I really like the Vanilla Creme flavor (and so does Nate, and it's the least messy b/c it's yogurt covered instead of some version of carob), but TJ's discontinued it b/c it didn't meet their national sales quota. :( You can still find it at Whole Foods and regular grocery stores. The Chocolate Honey Graham and Chocolate PB Crunch are also really good, and the Mint Chocolate Cookie taste very similar to a Thin Mint! The other flavors (Strawberry Shortcake, Double Chocolate Cookie, Creme Caramel Crisp) are just as good, but not so much my favorites.

Thanks. Nate has no IDEA what is coming. Does Ian?

Tondi G
12-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Hmmm... aside from Pretzels and Goldfish crackers. My first thought was apples and oranges. How about Fruit leathers? Dried Fruit, raisins, dried cranberries, apricots, banana chips.... hey even prunes (constipation is often a problem in pregnancy!). The idea of your own made up trail mix is a great idea... maybe add in some yogurt chips and any nuts that do work for you! Do you like any Granola bars or clifbars/powerbars? Oooh and that Turkey Jerky from Trader Joes is So yummy!!!

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

SASM
12-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the flavor suggestions! I am very curious now :)

Ian is clueless, too :) I have tried to put his hand on my belly when I start to feel the baby kick but then he just thinks that it is a game and starts slapping my belly (kinda like a "you can't get my hand" game)! :) I am trying to find a bobblehead doll to put on the belly so he'll maybe make a connection that movement is in there :) He is STUNNED to silence whenever I have a doppler reading :)

Good luck!!!

SASM
12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Ooooohhhh..I didn't know that TJ's sold turkey jerky!! I'll have to pick some up when I get the Pria bars :) Ian and I love fruit lathers...I am going to TRY to make some from a recipe in "super Baby Food" :)

rottiemom
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Luna bars! I always made sure to have at least 2 tucked into my purse in case of emergency. They really helped to quiet the hunger demon (especially when consumed while drinking a bottle of water). I had to watch my carbs big time during the last trimester thanks to gestational diabetes & would alternate between half a luna bar or crackers & cheese for my mid morning (12 carb max) snack.

FWIW Breton wheat crackers (in a brown box) have like 18 crackers in a serving & 10 carbs, the Kashi TLC crackers are about the same. I know you can't manage the cheese but the crackers themselves are easy to keep in the car.

Good luck!

Nina

calebsmama03
12-07-2004, 07:14 PM
I try to keep protein snacks in the car - not b/c I'm watching carbs but b/c when I'm really hungry I crash hard if I only eat carbs. Right now it's a can of pumpkin seeds, but I also keep cashews or other nuts around. I don't have allergy history in the family, so not sure if that's a consideration or not. WHen I PLAN it and go out shopping, etc, I carry a cheese stick and some crackers with me.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

deenass
12-07-2004, 08:34 PM
so check the labels before purchasing them.