PDA

View Full Version : Names you Hate/Love

psophia17
12-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Are there any names that you hate and would never ever use, or love and wouldn't use, and if you have a reason for feeling that way?

Mine are -

Hates:
Danielle - My freshman roommate at college was the worst, and I just cringe when I think about her. She didn't talk to me after October because I was being "too friendly" to her - huh?
Toby/John - in 1st grade Toby and John picked their noses all the time
Any name that ends in the long "eee" - I just don't like these ones, and never have

Loves:
Jacob - too popular to use, as much as I love it
Michael - I'd like it for a middle name, but dated a Michael in college and DH absolutely refused to let me use it or any variation, even though it's also my dad's middle name
Grace/Faith/Charity/etc - too religious, even though they're beautiful words and meanings

RwnMayfair
12-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Hmmm, well, here are my "loves" and "hates." And no offense if anyone has them or has named their children these! I just don't think I'd ever be able to use them myself. :)

"Hates":
Michelle (or any spelling variation) - I've just known far too many Michelles who were just utter, hmmmm, well, the word rhymes with snitches. Self-important, stuck-up, and just plain not worth the space they occupied. I know there are bound to be good Michelle's out there, but because of the Michelle's I knew I'd just can't stand it enough to use it.
Albert or anything very similar - This is actually my husband's first name, but he dislikes it as well and goes by his middle name. It's just always seemed too geeky to me
Kelly (Kelley) - I've known some very nice Kelly's, but I've also known some who are just waaay too ditzy. The ditzy ones just seem to give the name a bad rap and make it hard for the rest of the Kelly's out there. ;)
Dale - I dunno, I don't like it. Maybe it has to do with my father's whole bit (which I don't remember where he got it) about Dale, and his other brother Dale, etc. I guess it just implies "slow" to me for some reason.

"Love":
Ethan - It's just waaaay too popular these days. I'd hate to call out for my child and have every other child turn their head to respond. ;)
Oriana - I love the way this sounds, but alas, with our last name the initials would end up being OJ (not counting the middle name, of course).
Ian - Much like Ethan, it seems really popular. Plus, I had a crush on a guy named Ian in high school and it just seems weird to name a child with the name of a guy I had a crush on. ;)
Seth - Similar to Ian, I had a crush on a guy named Seth when I was younger, and just can't use it because it always makes me think of him.

- Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

urquie
12-06-2004, 01:21 AM
hate/could never use - veronica... in grade school she used to pee her pants in class all the (i think more than once or twice and it automatically becomes "all the time" :))

westchicagomom
12-06-2004, 01:55 AM
One of the problems w/ being a hs teacher is that each year you get 150 students passing through your life and you can't help but attach meanings to certain names (usually only a factor for the worst students of course).

I wouldn't say I *hate* any names, but for that reason there were a lot of names that I wouldn't use. Also not on our list were any names that were in the top 300 or so on the social security admins most common name list. Before I went on maternity leave, I had 5 Ryans in one class!

I love the name Victoria, but we couldn't (per DH) use it for DD because that was the name of his sister who died at 2 months old (IMO it would have been a great tribute to her)

I also *really* loved the name Lily, but aside from becoming way too popular (it was # 96 or something a few years ago), DH wouldn't do flower names. He compromised on Lilabeth because we both thought the baby was a boy and he got the boy name he wanted. Oooops for him!

Kieransmom
12-06-2004, 08:11 AM
This is the exact reason we ended up with the name Kieran. I went through the thousands of names in the baby books and found someone or something bad/good to associate with each name. I only knew 1 Kieran and he was really hot. (never told DH that) A friend of a friend had a Kieran also so we ended up with that. Plus people will approach me and say, "Michelle! I met another Kieran today!" They get all excited. Even people I really don't know well. It's weird.

But with each name I associated it with something...and the funny thing is that all the names I REALLY hated and associated with negative things I married into.

For example, DH's real name is Francis although he doesn't go by that. I ALWAYS HATED THAT NAME!!! BLAH, BLAH...BORING! His mother's name was Sarah and I grew up with a girl from K-12 who was really FAT and the other Sarah/Saras I knew were bland in personality. (sorry any Sara/Sarah mommies or Sarah/Saras out there...I don't mean you) His sister's names are Rachel and Rebecca and I ran into the same problem as Sarah...Blah. But Becky or Becca's were not. Don't know why. And just remember...I'm saying that the people from my CHILDHOOD were blah...not people I've met since I'm an adult. Since my youth I've met many great Sarahs, Rachels and Rebecca's. Although only one great Francis. ;-)

Names I love are all Irish/Gaelic/Celtic. I don't like my name because the song from the Beatles was sung to me constantly. (though I love the Beatles) My parents were going to name me Meghan which I wish they had. Oh well. Our next child will also have an Irish/Gaelic/Celtic name although maybe not as unique as Kieran. Maybe Colin or Meghan or something.

momathome
12-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Dh's name is Duke - yuck, we would never have used it if any of our children had been boys (MIL is a little nuts ;) )
Also, not a fan of the old lady names that are coming back into style - Hazel, Mabel, etc. They just sound yick to me
I love the name Victoria and totally would have used the nickname Tori if it wasn't for a certain Tori Spelling.
I think the name Azaria is beautiful but "A dingo ate my baby" would never leave my mind with that one. ;)

nwaddellr
12-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree that one of the little known side effects of being a teacher is having to cross numerous names off the "possible" list, either because you see so many of them or that individual was awful in class. It's even worse in my family because both my husband and I teach!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
>Dale - I dunno, I don't like it. Maybe it has to do with my
>father's whole bit (which I don't remember where he got it)
>about Dale, and his other brother Dale, etc. I guess it just
>implies "slow" to me for some reason.
>

That bit came from the Bob Newhart show. Not the original one where he was a psychiatrist, the one where he owned a lodge somewhere. (which by the way had an awesome final episode where he woke up in bed with his wife from the first Bob Newhart show and it turned out that he was still a psychiatrist and had dreamed the whole lodge owner thing. Very cool way to end a very good show.)

But it wasn't Dale, it was Darrell. "Hi, I'm Darrell and this is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell."

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

egoldber
12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
I think that show was just called "Newhart". And I agree that the final episode was really great. :)

murpheyblue
12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
I love Elizabeth (DD's middle name) and Jack (John).

As far as dislikes, I couldn't use Claire. Although I think it's a lovely name it always make me think of The Breakfast Club, "Claire? That's a fat girl's name." Also, until very recently, I never met a Wendy I liked so that name has a stigma for me.

nohomama
12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
This thread is a really bad idea. Commenting on why you like or dislike your own name is quite different than discussing what names you hate. It's pretty much an open invitation to offend. For example:

>His mother's name was Sarah and I grew up with a girl from K-12
>who was really FAT and the other Sarah/Saras I knew were bland
>in personality. (sorry any Sara/Sarah mommies or Sarah/Saras
>out there...I don't mean you)

Sorry, the appology at the end doesn't cut it. I'm offended. It obviously hasn't escaped you that there are a lot of people here who are either named or have chosen to name there child Sara(h). Perhaps it would have been better to not say anything regarding the name than to add a casual appology at the end of your remarks.

Also, I think it's inappropriate and rather ignorant to base whether or not you like a name based on the physical characteristics of a person with that name. What someone weighs has little bearing on who they are. Let's judge people (and their names) on their actions, not what they look like.

lizajane
12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
i am too scared to say, really, because i am afraid i would hurt someone's feelings who had the name i listed!

but i will say that dh's middle name is wyatt and he always liked it, and thought if he had a boy he would name him wyatt.

um, ew. the only wyatt i have ever known was nice enough but just ICKY in that "can only describe him as icky" kinda way. so while i already didn't like the name, the only person with whom i can associate the name totally ruins it for me.

i felt terrible about saying it, but i had to just tell dh that i just can't stand the name and i can't compromise on the name of my child by using a name i can't stand. i felt especially bad because schuyler is my middle name and i got to use it. but i took his middle name off the table.

MartiesMom2B
12-06-2004, 12:20 PM
I like the name Wyatt, I think it's cool. But I understand how one bad person can ruin a name. Naming our children is very difficult because it seems like every name that I come up, DH knows someone who was a jerk, bad, etc., etc who had that name.

-Sonia

psophia17
12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
We ran into the same problem - I would love a name, DH would hate it. Our other problem was that we were having a boy and DH's family is one of those large extended ones and the kids are practically all boys. Most of the boy names I've always planned on using were already used by relatives, many of whom I think are nuts so reusing wasn't cool...

When DH's 4-year-old nephew found out we were having a boy, he started calling the baby Nathan. We found this out two months later, at which time Nathan was one of three names on our short list...seemed like the thing to do at the time ;)

Momof3Labs
12-06-2004, 12:29 PM
ITA that this thread is a really bad idea - it is guaranteed to hurt many feelings!!

Even a thread of names that you absolutely love would be fine, but maybe everyone could leave out the "hate" part??

Rachels
12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I agree. We also wound up with another insult geared toward people who are overweight. I'm locking this one.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!