PDA

View Full Version : It's xmas time-what should we do for our nanny?

StaceyKim
12-06-2004, 09:31 AM
We were thinking 1 weeks pay as a xmas present. Our nanny's birthday is also this month! I was thinking of giving her a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure and maybe some $$ too.

What is everyone else doing and what would you do for the birthday??

She works for us full-time (not live-in) and also does frequent babysitting for us on weekends.

TIA!

steph2003
12-06-2004, 10:07 AM
I don't have a nanny but have a handful of friends that have full time nannies. They have told me that one week's salary is usually what they give at Christmas.

I think the mani/pedi gift certificate sounds like a nice birthday gift! One I'd like to receive myself :) - or maybe make it into a whole spa day by throwing in for a facial or massage.

McQ
12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
For Christmas, we give our nanny a full week's pay plus a little gift. Last year I got her a hat, scarf & matching gloves since she walks to our house from the bus stop. This year I'm thinking I'll get her a phone card (in addition to the cash) so she can call her family in South America.

For her birthday this year I gave her a George Foreman grill. She had been talking about wanting to get one and I knew she hadn't gotten for herself. And I made her a little cake. Last year I got her a GC to Old Navy because I knew she shopped there.

I don't know what I'd do without our nanny and want her to know how much we appreciate her.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

loewymartin
12-06-2004, 10:12 AM
That's basically what we do. Our nanny's birthday was in October, and we bought a gift certificate to a very nice spa. I gave her a $75 certificate because an hour massage was basically that price and I wanted to at least cover that (even though she can use it for whatever service she wants).

For a holiday bonus we give her essentially one week's pay, but net. So if she makes $500 a week gross, that's what her net bonus check is at the holidays. Since we give her a raise each year the bonus goes up each year, and I round it up to the next $50.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

AngelaS
12-06-2004, 10:29 AM
I used to be a full time nanny and truly appreciated the week's pay that I got for Christmas. :D I usually got a small gift that the kids had picked out too. :D