PDA

View Full Version : When did you cut your babe's hair for the 1st time?

steph2003
12-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Griffin had his first hair cut on Sunday. I told my mom & grandma & they were both flipping out that I cut it before 1 years old. Well to be honest the kid had a toddler mullet going in the back & was beginning to look like Shaggy on Scooby Doo. Now I'm feeling bad/guilty for cutting his baby locks - but he has such baby fine straight hair not like some gorgeous waves/curls I've seen on some babes here. The lady just trimmed it up in the back & now I think it will grown in much nicer.

So when did you cut your babe's hair? I guess girls are different since they are supposed to have longer hair. What's done is done but I'm hoping I'm not in the minority here for cutting it before age one :)

Joshuasmommy
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Joshua had 4 haircuts before his first birthday. His first was around 6 months, his hair just grows like crazy.

barbarhow
12-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Jack was about 16-17 months-but he had this wavy, whispy, really cute wildman hair-until it got that mullet look to it. Then we just trimmed it a little bit. I took him last week for his first "real" haircut. He is 20 months.
Don't worry about what anyone else says. Do what you think is right. We got a lot of flak for not cutting his hair sooner-but we loved the wild look.

deborah_r
12-06-2004, 12:01 PM
7 months, 4 days old. We could not take it any more! We were trying to reach that one-year milestone as well, but I was so happy we got it cut, because he looked so much cuter after the cut! His hair is also straight and it just wouldn't do anything. It was also longer in some sections than others so I was happy to get it all evened out. No regrets here, and I hope you don't either!

egoldber
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
My DD was about 7 months old. She was born with a mass of hair that only got longer and more and more uneven. By the time she was 7 months, it was a real mess! So I had it trimmed up and was much happier. I look at her baby pix now and think I should have done it much earlier, LOL!

psophia17
12-06-2004, 12:10 PM
It'll be cut the morning of his 1st b-day, by MIL, who realizes that it's a touch too long but the b-day is only weeks away, so DH and I can suck it up for that long.

I was planning to wait this long anyhow, and even though it's a trifle shaggy, when it's just dried from after his bath or waterbabies, it has the cutest ever curl to it, right above his ears. I hope he keeps some of that wave, because goodness knows I don't have any :) If it was even 10% worse than it is, we'd have cut it long ago.

jk3
12-06-2004, 12:14 PM
We trimmed DS's hair on his first birthday. We like it on the longer side so we were nervous to allow a professional to cut it . Last week I finally took DS for his first official haircut at approximately 18 months. It looks cute - not too short!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

LucyG
12-06-2004, 01:23 PM
She's 21 months, and we have not cut it yet. She just doesn't have much hair! What she does have is very fine and blond, and her bangs go over to the side on their own. I was the same way, so I'm not surprised at her lack of hair. My DH, who is anxious to learn the art of fixing pigtails, can't wait for DD's hair to grow more!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
21 months and counting!

new_mommy25
12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Noah is 15 months and he should have a haircut but I just cannot bear too. I know that once it is cut he will look like a little boy and not a baby. Isn't that pathetic of me? We have trimmed his bangs twice because it gets in his eyes. The first time he had a bang trim was about a week after his first birthday.

C99
12-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Nate's a little baldie, so he didn't get his hair cut for the first time until this past August (18 mos). My husband's grandfather is the last in a long line of barbers (they owned a shop for 125 years in their little IN town), so it's family tradition that all the males on that side of the family get their first haircut from Grandpa George. He really just trimmed the back. Nate got his first *real* haircut in October at a barbershop, because his bangs were getting into his eyes.

Of my sibling group, no one ever had a lot of hair as babies (or even as adults), so we all walked around with little mullets until we were 2 or 3.

steph2003
12-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Angie -
if my DS had Noah's pretty hair I would not cut it either!!! Noah has gorgeous body/curl. If Griffin had that I would have waited. But it is stick straight just like his mama's :)

RwnMayfair
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Taran was a bit over 11 months old. It was just getting too long, and looking too shaggy. He looked MUCH better after we got it cut, so I'm glad we did so. I dunno, I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you. If you're happy with his haircut, then it's just fine getting it done now. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

JFC
12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Steph - I feel your pain. Sam had 3 haircuts before his 1st birthday. We tried to hold out, but even my family were starting to comment on his mullet... ;-)

californiagirl
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I had to trim her forelock at 7 months because she got a cold and it was getting stuck to the end of her nose with snot. Not a good look. At the rate it's growing, and the rest of her hair isn't, I'm going to have to do it at least once more before a year (she's 9 months), but goodness knows when she'll need a real haircut.