PDA

View Full Version : Please help me shop for these people!!

kalebsmama
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
We have some new people to shop for this year and I have no idea what to get.

Preschool teachers

Piano teacher

babysitter - watches DD 2 mornings/week

girlfriends of my college-age stepsons! A little background here - both boys have been dating these girls for a year or more. The oldest is quite serious - I think they are making plans for a future together. She is quiet and all I know is that she likes to do crafts. We see her quite often since they go to school here in town and are always looking for a free meal! The younger stepson seems pretty serious too and is dating a girl who is quite well off and "has everything" according to him. She is from Chicago - any places there good for a gift certificate or something? We've met her several times and she is coming for a visit over the holidays. How much do you think would be appropriate to spend on these girls? I really like them both, and don't want to seem too cheap, but don't want to spend too much either!

Thanks for any ideas. I always have the hardest time deciding what to get people!

August Mom
12-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Jan,

I don't have to buy for any of these people, but I'll give you advice anyway. :) LOL

For the girlfriends, I would say $20 or $25 would be fine. Perhaps a Bath & Body Works basket would be good. Or, movie passes might be nice because it's something they could do together. Or, along those lines, maybe a joint gift of tickets to a musical or similar such thing. As far as crafts, unless you know what kinds of crafts she likes, I think you'll have to go with a gift card to Michael's or Joann, Etc. I do know that as my pre-marriage relationship with DH got more serious, I got nicer gifts from his parents. When we were engaged, I got a Seiko desk clock. It is beautiful. When we were first dating, I received a stainless steel colander. (I love to cook, so it wasn't a lame gift).

As for the others, I have no creative ideas. Here are my uncreative thoughts: Photo ornament; picture frame with your child/children's photo; mug with favorite beverage (coffee, tea, hot chocolate); fancy cookies; chocolates; Bath & Body Works; candles; maybe a musical instrument pin or music box for the piano teacher, stationery, calendar.

I have no idea whether that was any help. Good luck, though. And, if you can't think of anything for the teachers, go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx and they have a whole section of little gifts like that to inspire you (or to get you to impulse buy).

Tondi G
12-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Well being that it's been chilly here lately.... I am addicted to my scarf that I just bought! I'm sensitive to wool so I got a polar fleece one and it has been great!

How about a Scarf, hat and gloves set???? Pick neutral colors... black, charcoal grey etc. I know there are so many option out there... polar fleece, fuzzy wool/angora looking ones! My scarf is from Old navy but I've seen them at Target too! I'd be pleased to open up a box and find something to keep me warm inside... and it's a one size fits all kinda thing so you don't have to worry about sizes!

Here is a link to Old Navy's page... they have a bunch of different options!

http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/Dept_Index_All_paging.asp?wdid=200502&pgnb=1

Other ideas
movie tickets
restaurant gift cert.
Harry and David baskets?
cookies/baked goods basket
Bath and Body works gift (find out their fav. scent if possible)

Good luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05