PDA

View Full Version : And to make matters worse--ds might have to be hospitalized! (long)

lmintzer
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
This day is just unbelievable. First, we heard of my nanny's terrible tragedy (see below). Now, Jack may have to be hospitalized. I don't have time to write out the whole long saga, but he has chronic constipation that wasn't responding to first line treatments. In Oct., we took him to a Behavioral Pediatrician, hoping we could attack the problem from a medical and behavioral/emotional perspective. Long story short, he's not better. He's not responded to: mineral oil, Ex Lax, Miralax, supositories (sp?), and now, a 4 day course of enemas administered at home (yep, by dh and me--it's been horrible). His poor little abdomen is so distended--he looks like he's entering his 3rd trimester. So, today, when dh paged the nurse practioner who works with our doc, she was concerned enough to page the head of Peds GI (at the U. of Chicago). He's fitting Jack in for an appointment tomorrrow at 10:00 a.m. (even though he has a 3 month wait list!). We're looking at having to wait a while due to being an add-on, blood work for sure, and then, who knows. We're told that an admission is likely since we haven't been able to clean him out at home.

The process would be hard on any kid, but on our spirited little guy? I'm imagining a total nightmare. It takes a lot of talking with him and working through his anxiety to get him through a normal doctor's appointment. If he has to be cleaned out, it's going to be a series of more enemas, plus a NG tube with something like Go-Lightly poured down it. And then possible testing (probably a spinal MRI which requires sedation) to rule out a tethered cord. DH is a neurologist and was doubtful about that because he has no other signs and symptoms, but we saw a study that documented a few cases of tethered cord without any other symptoms.

Thank God none of the possibilites that anyone's come up with are life-threatening and all would be treatable in some way. But just knowing (all too well, from the work I do with pediatric burn patients) what my little guy is going to go through in the hospital--it's so hard. I feel like it's almost worse having seen what I have. I just have to keep reminding myself that he's a high-strung kid but IS very resilient. So I know he'll eventually be okay.

The other large stressor is what to do with Joshua. We were advised not to bring him to the outpatient appointment, because it's at the hospital (in an attached building, really), and it's RSV season, etc. Also, it might be a long day of waiting, and what would we do with him there? DH originally suggested that I stay home with Joshua. He's a doc. and can communicate well about what's going on with Jack. And Jack is incredibly close to him (maybe even closer to him than to me). But I just can't stand the thought of not being there for him. So, I called my mom, and she's going to take the day off work to watch Joshua. She's never watched him for a day (or even a half-day) before, so of course I'm stressed about that. But she's sweet and loving and raised two kids, so she'll figure it out, right? I'll leave detailed instructions, lol. He doesn't know her all that well but sees her once a week or so, so at least he won't be with a total stranger. If Jack has to be hospitalized for a number of days, dh and I will just have to trade off--there's no other choice. We don't have anyone else who can really watch Joshua other than this one day. So that's that. God, I'm so envious of those with big extended families or parents who are retired and can be good childcare.

Please keep us in your thoughts. Between this and our impending home sale, house hunting, and move--and our nanny's loss--we are completely maxed out. I'll try to update when I can.

ALLEYCAT
12-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Oh my goodness. That is too much for one mamma to handle. You are in my thoughts.

starrynight
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
My heart goes out to you and Jack! Daria has always had constipation issues so as a parent I understand a little, home treatments do work for her. I can't imagine what you guys are going through! {{{hugs}} and good thoughts, I hope it's nothing serious.

casey118
12-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I hope everything goes well, and I was so sorry to read of your nanny's loss. My Jack has had to be taken for the hospital before for fairly invasive tests, and I think it is worse for you than for him. He probably won't like it, but kids are so resiliant I think you will be amazed (if you can get around your own fears! That is the hardest part). Hang in there.

Rachels
12-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Oh no! One step at a time, hon. I'm sure you're feeling terrified. We're here and will be thinking of you. Wish I were closer-- I'd take care of your baby for you! Hang in there...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

ismommy
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Hugs and good thoughts. I hope they can make Jack better without too many interventions.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

mommd
12-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Wow. Sorry you are going through so much. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

bluej
12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Oh Lisa, what a terrible day for you. My prayers are with Jack and that everything goes well the next couple of days. I'm sure Joshua will have a great time with grandma and that they will bond and do just fine.

jamsmu
12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Lisa,

Hugs to you. I have a lump in my throat and tears welling in my eyes. You are going through so much stress right now. I wish there was someway I could reach out and help you. I'll be hoping things go well and swiftly for Jack tomorrow.

And Joshua will be fine with your mom. She raised you, right? and you obviously turned out very well!!

COElizabeth
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Oh, Lisa. That sounds so miserable. I hope that the appointment goes better than expected and that Jack is feeling better soon. I'm sure Joshua will be fine with your mom, and I hope you won't have to be gone too long.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

wagner36
12-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Oh Lisa, that is too much stress for one person! I hope that Jack's appointment goes well tomorrow - I'm sure he'll be in excellent hands. Please keep us updated. If you need anything, please let us know!

momathome
12-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Oh, Lisa, I am so very sorry to hear that your little guy is going through this! Kasey has had constipation issues in the past and it would often take several doses of milk of magnesia in order to get her moving again. She was typically going 5 days at a time between poops. Once she finally got over her fear of pooping on the potty, her issues cleared up. I really hope your munchkin is feeling better soon. Take care and good luck!

mommyj_2
12-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Oh my goodness. I just read your other post. You poor thing. I hope everything goes okay at the hospital, and that they can help your little man find some relief.
I'm sure Joshua will be fine with your mom.
I want you to know I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Hugs to you.

barbarhow
12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Lisa-I am so sorry. What a time you are going through. I hope that your testing goes fine and that Jack is home with you guys. Your mom will take great care of Joshua. Trust in that so you have one less thing to worry about. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

Tori_s mom
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Oh, sweetie, what a rough time for you and your family! I hope everything goes well for Jack and the docs can get him feeling better.

Joshua will be fine with your mom. I remember leaving my DD with my mom the first time. It was hard on me :), but Tori did wonderfully.

You're in my thoughts, and let us know if you need brownies! ;P

Tasha

Tori (3/11/04)

marinkitty
12-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Lisa: I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this. At least you are getting him in to someone good right away. I know we don't know each other, but since I'm not working anymore and am in the city, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can help out in any way. I mean it!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

papal
12-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Oh Lisa! Big hugs to you girlie.. what a terrible day for you. :(
I wish I lived nearby so I could come watch Joshua... this is way too much stress for one mama. I hope Jack responds to the treatment tmmrw to clear out his system.. poor thing. I will be thinking of you the next few days girlie.. take care!

RwnMayfair
12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Ugh, that's a lot of stress to have to deal with all at once. :( I really hope Jack is feeling better soon, and that it's a relatively simple process to make him feel better too. And I hope the stress-level for you all reduces soon too!

::hugs::

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

StaceyKim
12-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I am so sorry about what you have to go through!!! I hope everything goes smoothly at the doctors.

My DS had to have a MRI to rule out the tethered cord. It wasn't a fun experience at all and he was out of sorts for a couple of days from the sedation. If you have any questions about it let me know.

missym
12-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Lisa, I hope Jack's appointment goes well tomorrow. Poor little guy! Please know that your family is in my thoughts, and I hope things improve soon.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

LD92599
12-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Lisa:

Hugs to you. Hope everything works out well tomorrow...we'll all be thinking of you here.

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

steph2003
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry ya'll are going thru such tough times right now. I hope your little guy is on the mend soon!! thinking happy thoughts for him!

alkagift
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Oh, how awful! And poor Jack, I know this must feel awful for him. I'm sure he will hate being in the hospital but he will bounce back, absolutely. We'll be thinking about you all.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Mommie2MadLyn
12-06-2004, 09:59 PM
OH Lisa, thats terrifying I'm sure! Good luck tomorrow, and we'll keep little Jack in our thoughts!

mharling
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Oh, Lisa! Thinking of all of you and sending big hugs. Please, please let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

jbowman
12-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Gigantic hugs, Lisa! I really hope that Jack is ok! I'm sorry that your family is going through this. I'm sure Joshua will like spending time with your mom!

I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

jubilee
12-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Poor Jack! My thoughts will be with your family. Hope the doctor has the insight into figuring this out!

cinrein
12-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Oh goodness! I'm sure your Mom will do find with Joshua. I know I'd be nervous too, but I really think it's best to leave him at home and who could you trust more than your Mom? Worse comes to worse you can always go back home if Joshua needs you.

My thoughts and prayers and with you, DH and Jack. Poor little guy.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

sugarsnappea
12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Lisa,
Your family is in my thoughts. Poor Jack. I hope his condition improves, and his stay in the hospital is short. You have been through too much!

C99
12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Omigod, Lisa. How traumatic for you all. I hope this is the last for you for awhile!

McQ
12-07-2004, 09:11 AM
How awful for the little guy. Hope both Jack & Joshua's day go smoothly. Will be thinking of you.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

Roleysmom
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Lisa, we are thinking good thoughts for you, Jack and your family today!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

trumansmom
12-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Oh, Lisa! That is so much to have to handle at once. Please know we will all be thinking of you and your sweet boys.

Take care,
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

tippy
12-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Lisa,

You poor thing! Poor Jack! Poor DH! I know how you feel about not being there for Jack in the hospital. I couldn't do it. I'm sure Joshua will be just fine so don't waste any energy worrying about that. You have enough on your plate. I hope Jack responds to his treatment and all tests are negative. I'll be keeping you and yours in my prayers tonight!

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03