PDA

View Full Version : If you had 3 hours of free time, what would you do?

jamsmu
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Just a fun topic, that may help those of us in the exchange.

I would go to a spa for a massage and manicure/pedicure. I'd bring whatever book club type book I'm reading and sit in the lounge for a while to relax. And I'd be drinking either hot tea (decaf) or wine or a margarita (!) or lime-water.

Oooh! This sounds so nice... okay... wake up and stop dreaming!!

crayonblue
12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
I would read a book. I think I have a John Grisham book that I got over a year ago and haven't opened. I used to read for hours. Sometimes all night. I think I might also take a really long bath. Or, a three hour nap!

HGraceMom
12-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Can I come with you? Please?! I'll even bring along some sinfully delicious brownies, cookies, cakes, etc. etc. etc... better go start baking...

jamsmu
12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
you are more than welcome to join!

barbarhow
12-06-2004, 07:34 PM
I'd like to come, too. But I think I'd like to be a piggie and opt for a 2 hour massage that ended with me face up so they could do a nice long facial and scalp massage which I would fall asleep during and then I would spend the next hour right there sleeping. Hopefully they would have me under a nice fluffy down puff. Lights low, some nice classical music playing. Oooooooooohhhhhhhh take me there.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

brigmaman
12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
sleep. by myself. ;)

lizajane
12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
i am so stressed that i can't even think of what i would do!!!!!!!! my mind is racing... i would do this, no that, no this... maybe that...

there are things i have to do this week that i will really enjoy, like making the christmas cookies for my family (parents') christmas party. it will be hard to find the time and it will be "work" but i LOVE doing it.

but i feel like the point of the question is NOT to use the time for completing required tasks, even if they are fun things we signed up for!

so because i am pregnant and can't have a good "real" massage or cocktails with friends or even sleep, due to insomnia... i think i would sew some new things. i have been wanting to make some pants for a friends DD for a while and i want to make some fun stuff for baby brother. maybe even some matching brother outfits.

after the baby comes, i think i would spend the time sipping a glass of cold white wine while lounging on a comfy couch chatting with good mom friends.

papal
12-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Oooh... so many things to do, so little time.
I would either:
-Curl up and read a good book with some nice snacks handy to munch on.
-Finishing writing and addressing holiday cards
-Clean out the storage room
-Catch up on calling people that I haven't talked to in a while.

I think I prefer the first one best. I think I will tell dh to take dd and leave me alone for 3 hours this weekend! :)

jamsmu
12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Liza --

I think a pregnancy massage is in order! Hint hint to your DH. I had one in my 7th month, it was heaven because I could lay on my tummy.

mamaturk
12-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Well, If DD was in bed for the night ... I'd pour myself a nice glass of white wine.
Otherwise I'd probably go to the salon for a manicure and pedicure. After that.. a long nap!

steph2003
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
I'd probably try to take a nap - but then I'd probably scratch that idea because I'd lie there thinking of all the things I could/should be doing! :)

I'd like to finish reading my book club book - what was I thinking signing up for that?! and have some sinful desserts & a glass of wine!

jbowman
12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I'd go out to lunch or dinner with a friend (no kids!). We would just chat and drink diet pop! I hope to do this a few times over the holidays, LOL!

C99
12-06-2004, 11:34 PM
I must have missed all the exchange posts because I am not in it. So you'll just have to enjoy my post anyway. :)

I'm assuming that this is 3 hours without kids. What I would probably do is spend 3 hours surfing the Internet! In my fantasyland, however, I would:

- go to a book store and browse
- go to a coffee shop w/ a good book and read it
- go get my hair cut and highlighted (oh wait, I'm doing that on Thursday)
- try on clothes and shoes
- go out to lunch or for coffee w/ a friend and just gab
- go to a movie
- if it were summer, I'd go sit out on my patio w/ a good book or a magazine
- take a nap
- do some gardening
- sew a skirt
- go to the fabric store and browse

DebbieJ
12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
I would take a nap. Three hours of uninterrupted sleep would be complete bliss right now.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

kijip
12-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Well, TMI but I would spend it with my husband. Alone. In bed. It seems that we always have sex at night. It would be so nice to have the type of pre baby afternoon that involves lounging around for more than 3 minutes! Of course that is what got us the baby in the first place.

Saartje
12-07-2004, 02:49 AM
If DH also had 3 hours free, something, anything with him. Probably have a glass of wine and a piece of good dark chocolate each, and play a board game. That or go bowling.

If I were alone... I'd put on some beautiful music and knit. And sip a cup of green tea. I might also spend part of the time having a nice soak in the tub, with bubble bath, water softener, and candles. And a fluffy robe waiting for me when I stepped out of the water.

Second option... in my big fantasy three hours alone, I'd be at some place with beautiful scenery and a decent bike trail and ride the whole time. I haven't gotten on my bike in over a year and a half -- Isaac's not old enough to ride in a bike trailer, yet. :(

ellies mom
12-07-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, if I could have my old creative brain back for those 3 hours, I'd work on my scrapbooks, cards or some other crafty sort of thing I enjoy. If I'm stuck with the brain I've got after DD goes to bed for the night, then maybe a good book or knitting. I'm not sure if I want something sweet with milk, or a good beer.

babymama
12-07-2004, 10:13 AM
3 hours? That's not long enough for all the things I need to do plus have some time for the things I WANT to do.

What needs to be done at the moment is:
sweep and mop the floors
laundry
deodorize the diaper champ (pee-yew!)
clean bathrooms
vacuum
organize papers that are all over the house (does mail multiply when we're not looking?)

What I would love to do:
2 hour massage + 1 hour nap
1 hour hot bubble bath + 2 hour nap
catch a movie and have a nice meal after with friends
read the Sunday paper and lounge around (those were the days!!!)
go to a museum

OK, back to reality now!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

jayali
12-07-2004, 10:21 AM
My to-do list is EXACTLY the same as yours!! So what am I doing while Matthew is napping, looking at the BBB message board (LOL). As for the mail, I wish there was a do-not mail list, like the do not call list. So much paper - I want a shredder for Christmas!

I probably would wander around town, without a stroller and wiggly child for three hours.

alkagift
12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
I would finish stitching my Christmas ornaments, have two glasses of red wine (ahem) and some chocolate truffles. I may also take a long hot lavender bubble bath and put my feet into a pair of warmed slippers...aaaahhh. Then sleep.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

houseof3boys
12-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Ahhhhhh, just to think about this is heaven. :)

I would take a nap and then go get a mani/pedi (since I can't see my feet anymore). If I had more time and unlimited funds, I would get a facial and a pregnancy massage. I would interview maids since Ryan wouldn't be around (can we say the dog is out of the picture too?) and then in a perfect no contractions world, I would finally take the tags off my (I mean Ryan's) new E3 stroller and go for a walk in the park. :) I would look kind of silly walking an empty stroller though, wouldn't I? Maybe we'll get Ryan back for that.

psophia17
12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I would have a personal trainer come and do as many long and slow deep muscle stretches as I could handle - a full body stretch like a cat can do, but I don't actually have to do the work, I just get to lay there and say when I can feel it and when the muscle has relaxed.

Before my exercise class last night, I wouldn't have been able to think of this, but one of the stretches we did at the end was new and I couldn't bend myself to do it right, so the instructor came over and helped me, and it was heavenly to not have to do the work. It was like an internal massage, and now, almost 18 hours later, I am still all relaxed from it...

Afterwards, I'd get naked and wrap myself up in some fluffy blankets straight from the dryer, so they were still all warm and snuggly....*sigh*

himom
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I'd grab my best friends and head off to a tearoom for two hours. I long for unlimited tea, tiny sandwiches, lots of yummy goodies, and getting spoiled by the waitresses in a quiet, beautiful atmosphere. Plus we could catch up with each other, hear the latest gossip, etc.

For the last hour, I want a nice massage too!

Jodi

psophia17
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
If you've never been to tea at Saks in Manhattan, I highly recommend it...plus there's convenient shopping ;)

psophia17
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
If you've never been to tea at Saks in Manhattan, I highly recommend it...plus there's convenient shopping ;)

candybomiller
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Sit on the couch staring at the wall thinking about all the things I should be doing and feeling guilty that I just don't have the energy to do any of it.

Oh, wait. That's what I'm doing now. :(

candybomiller
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Sit on the couch staring at the wall thinking about all the things I should be doing and feeling guilty that I just don't have the energy to do any of it.

Oh, wait. That's what I'm doing now. :(