PDA

View Full Version : Help! Playroom paint color!

parkersmama
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
We have been having some painters paint the outside of our house (trim and windows, etc) this week. I've been contemplating painting our playroom a different color for some time but haven't made any real decisions. So today, I got the guy to quote me a price for painting the playroom and he said they can do it tomorrow (yikes!!!) since it'll be raining and they can't work outside. He said if they don't do it when they're over here at our house, it might be quite a while before they can fit it in because they are very busy. Normally we would paint ourselves but this room has a high cathedral ceiling and the ceiling itself is flat and painted (and would need to be repainted).

So, I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out a good paint color!! Currently, it is painted a sky blue and I painted a mural around the room of farm animals. It's really cute but it's been that way for several years and I'm tired of it. The ceiling is also painted sky blue and there are clouds painted on the ceiling.

The furniture in the room is this color:

http://a293.g.akamai.net/7/293/5910/0010/image2.styleinamerica.com/pkecimgs/images/products/200447/0003/img42m.jpg

I am hoping to use denim and red in the room as well. Also, this room was formerly a covered patio that we have enclosed. It is off our family room and can be seen from the front door. We go through this room to get outdoors to our backyard. There are 5 tall windows, a glass door, and two large windows in the cathedral area of the ceiling so there is a lot of light and you can see the outdoors easily. The trim is white and there are white wooden blinds on the windows.

The family room is painted a sand color and the furniture in there is dark green/burgundy/tan.

So, I was thinking a khaki color but I'm not sure that would blend well with the sand color in the family room/great room or with the honey furniture. Maybe a deep green? Red? Eek! I don't know! Any ideas? Have fun and put on your best decorating hat! :) TIA!

bluej
12-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Well if we ever decide on a location so we can decide on a house, I want our playroom to have red walls with denim overstuffed furniture and these pillows http://tinyurl.com/6y2en for the winter. So my vote would be for red!

AvasMama
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
How about a straw yellow? That would look gorgeous with the furniture and not clash with the family room. Another option might be olive green -- sounds odd, but our BR is this color and it is striking. We get tons of compliments on it.

Robyn & Ava

lukkykatt
12-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Denise,

I am not supposed to be on the computer now -eek! Our playroom is a deep sagey green. We have oak furniture, a denim sofa and red & offwhite colored pillows. I think that the colors look nice together.

I'll try to come up with the paint color (I know it is one of Lowes' paints) and post more later.

ETA: It is Waverly Home Classics - I *believe* it is Meadow Breeze - I can't find the chip. I looked on the Lowes website, but the color looks alot lighter on my computer - I am almost certain that is what we used though. And btw, we just got it color matched somewhere else.

pritchettzoo
12-06-2004, 07:37 PM
What about that yellow color that is the background of the crayon picture? You could do a red "feature" wall with khaki or yellow other walls.

Post pics when they're done! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

jamsmu
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
the crayon box yellow sounds nice, but with sand--I can't picture it. Then again, I"m paritally color blind, so I have troubles picturing stuff like that.

What about denim blue?

I plan ours to be like a classroom, so one wall will be a bulletin board and another will have chalkboard paint on a large portion. I think it will probably be a light blue or light yellow color. (Not that you asked, but I'm now thinking ahead!)

marinkitty
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
If you decide to go with a dark green, we just painted our upstairs hall Benjamin Moore Olive Branch. It is a very nice olive green and would look great with red accents and that wood color (which is similar to are oak hard wood it looks like).

We also have a straw yellow in our downstairs guest bedroom - I think it is called Harvest Moon (it is Sherwin Williams paint b/c that is what our builder used initially).

Good luck - we just painted three bedrooms and the hall two weeks ago and it is very stressful choosing colors, let alone having one night to do it!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

AvasMama
12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Love Olive Branch! Denise, that is the same color that I mentioned above is in our BR.
Robyn & Ava

parkersmama
12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Is there anywhere online to look at the BM Olive Branch color? I tried the BM website but couldn't seem to get anywhere. I like the idea of an olive green. I also love red and also denim blue. ARgh. Too many choices. I'm under too much pressure! :)

Mommie2MadLyn
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
I would do Dark Red for the walls. I love that look and it would go nicely with your furniture. Also, I love wainscotting (sp?) on the walls too, that could be stained to match your furniture. Have fun redecorating!

C99
12-06-2004, 10:31 PM
If I was having it professionally painted, I would go with red. I love, love, love red, but I absolutely *stink* at painting it myself (actually, if it's not a muted tone, I stink at it). My playroom/office is also a sky blue w/ white trim.

alkagift
12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Denise,
I would go with a color you can pick from the furniture in your family room. I like how colors flow from room to room, it's easy on your eye. If you go with a red, it should work with your burgundy--you know, not too orangy-red.

Another option is to go with a dark khaki and use the green and burgundy/red in fun panel-style curtains that wouldn't obscure the view and bring in some color. If you want to have some red furniture in there (like what's in the Pottery Barn catalog, I love that) then perhaps red walls wouldn't be enough of a contrast?

OOO! I thought of another idea. Since the ceiling is so high, how about a dark color on the ceiling and the walls be khaki! Red ceiling! That would bring all your colors together and still allow for red furniture. Now that I could do!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Andrea S
12-07-2004, 01:59 PM
My mom had red ceiling in her living room. I loved it.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

parkersmama
12-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, I ended up telling them that we just couldn't do it today. I am just not *that* decisive! LOL! It's supposed to rain all week so I told them that if they have another day later in the week we'll shoot for then.

I'm still feeling overwhelmed. I like red but I worry about it clashing with the other reds I was hoping to do. My dh isn't really keen about green of any shade because we already have it in two rooms (a moss green bedroom and an apple green bedroom). I love the idea of khaki but I'm still thinking that it or yellow would clash too much with the den paint which is the yellowish sand color. Parker voted for red or a darker blue.

Why is this so hard? I can usually pick paint colors pretty easily!

pritchettzoo
12-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Benjamin Moore has samples of paint that will cover a 3x3 (maybe?) square. You could get a red and a yellow and a khaki and see how it looks with the other rooms. We did that in our dining room, and although each little pot is $3.99, it's cheaper than painting a room and then realizing you hate it (says the woman whose hallway has been 4 different colors in 3 years!). We wound up choosing a different shade of khaki than the wee pot of paint, but it was clear that red wouldn't have worked in that room with our furniture.

Anna
and One More (coming July '05)

macassi
12-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I think gold always looks good with everything. It should go with the sand and looks great with blues and reds. I think it's a very neutral color.

parkersmama
12-07-2004, 10:42 PM
I may give that a try. Gotta figure out where in this backwards town sells Benjamin Moore paints! :) Anna, when we were choosing a color for our bedroom I picked out colors to match the bedding and bought quart size containers to try. We had strips of red, blue, and green in multiple shades (I even took the containers back and had the colors altered slightly! LOL) for months!! The color we finally settled on wasn't one of the ones on the wall at all. We were at our neighbors' house for a b'day party and I walked into their playroom and *knew* that was the color I'd been wanting! Apple green. I love it. It's bright but one of my favorite rooms in the house. :D

pritchettzoo
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
HAMILTON ACE HARDWARE
5300 VETERANS PARKWAY
COLUMBUS, GA 31904
706-322-6545

Apple green sounds pretty!

Anna
and One More (coming July '05)

parkersmama
12-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Anna, you've probably seen it in the background on lots of my pics of Amy Grace in the Reality Layette forum. I used to often pose her in my room for fashion shows. :)

Thanks for the tip on the Ben. Moore dealer. I asked our painter today and he also said that Sherwin Williams will somehow give you a pretty large sheet with your color on it (for free, I think) to tape up on the wall and consider.

Thatchermom
12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
We have both dark red walls (living room)and yellow walls (family room) in our house and I LOVE them both. Not that we are any great decorators. Paint decisions in our house go like this: 1. go to paint store and choose 25 chips we like. 2. tape said chips in rows on the wall we will paint. 3. paint wall the color of last chip to fall down! So far, it has served us well, and is stress free!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18390.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18392.jpg