PDA

View Full Version : GRANDMA/GRANDPA gifts

Jen841
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Any unique ideas? My parents are first time grandparents, and could not be prouder. I want something neat for them.

Ideas we have already used:
"Grandparent" books
Puppets for Grandma's puppet collection
Anything Jude could need/want at their house (so I don't need to pack it)
"Chef Grandpa" apron from iprint

I did see the Generations Pearl braclet in RedEnvelope that was neat. I would like something classy, and something they will cherish. We call Grandma "Flash Grandma" b/c she is always snapping pictures. I thought about a digital camera, but am not sure it is user friendly enough for her yet. We are talking about people that now have a computer that is 100% a email tool complete with a slow dial up connection. They just got a cell phone, mostly so they can call and check on Jude daily I think.

We have done travel gift certificates since we are now far, so that idea has been exhausted too.

Help!

Thanks!

Bearhut
12-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Last Christmas, I went through the same search. My mothers favorite gifts were baby stuff for her house. She now has everything from tub necessities to baby tylenol.

Some Ideas that we have used that might be helpful are:
-photo mouse pads (Ofoto and York both have them)
-Grandma/Grandpa mugs
-For my mother, a photo charm/pendant
-Photo key chains
-The Willow Tree Grandfather & Grandmother Figurines (my parent's love these).

Hope this helps.

mamaturk
12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
One of the things we are giving this year is a calendar with DD's pictures on it from Shutterfly. Cute and cheap too!!

AvasMama
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
For Christmas last year, I gave my mom the Ceiva (www.ceiva.com). It's a digital picture frame -- you upload photos to the Ceiva site and they will appear on the receiver. All your parents have to do is plug it into a phone jack and turn it on. It will rotate up to 30 photos (there might be a newer model out now that has more). I send my mom new photos every few weeks or so.

It's pricey, but my mom loves it and her friends and coworkers go crazy over it when they see it. One other thing: it has a monthly service fee that they can either pay, or you can give it to them for a year as a gift certificate. I paid for a year of service when I gave my mom hers, and it's an easy Christmas present every year to renew it for her!

Robyn & Ava

August Mom
12-07-2004, 12:10 AM
How about a Babyprints framed photo and handprint/footprint. http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?endecaSID=100ABEF8D786&langId=-1&storeId=10000&productId=53870&catalogId=10000 DS's grandparents really like it. The photo calendars are always a hit too. Or, you could do a photo or handprint ornament.

lizajane
12-07-2004, 04:49 AM
i was also thinking of hand or foot prints. red envelope has a neat frame that has a spot for the handprint and a spot for a photo. (i got one as a baby gift and still haven't done it! ack! so now i am waiting to do both kids prints in it...)

kensjen
12-07-2004, 08:27 AM
The calendar idea is great, we did something similar last year. I actually did a scrapbook calendar, and did most of the work...it's much easier to have shutterfly do it for you! A "2004" ornament with Jude's little face on it would be cute! Also, a sweatshirt that has the grandchildren's names is always popular. You could get one now with Jude's name (with the stick figure or little boy head or whatever...) and then it can be added to as needed!

The same thing with a charm bracelet for Grandma...we got the Lucy Ann one, and each charm has the child's name and a little stick kid...and we can give her more charms, if necessary. Grandma loves it!

Anything with a photo seems to be popular! It seems easier now to shop for the grandparents! :)