PDA

View Full Version : Need Car Seat Install Advice Tonight (12/6 into early 12/7)

August Mom
12-06-2004, 11:55 PM
It hasn't been a good night. I was driving DH's car and had a blowout on the highway. We have the spare tire, but in order to coordinate getting it replaced tomorrow, I am trying to install DS's Marathon in DH's 1998 Honda Civic. My car has LATCH. DH's does not.

I am installing rearfacing in the center position with a lap belt. I finally got the strap tight enough to satisfy me, but now the locking clip on the buckle side won't close (the buckle is in the way of the locking clip). What do I do?

Up until this point, I wasn't satisfied with the tightness of the install, so I really don't want to loosen it to close the locking clip. Do I need to?

I have never installed it in DH's car before and have only installed it once with a lap belt. Any immediate advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll cross-post on the car seat board in case anyone over there is still up. TIA

UPDATE: Okay, I did a quick search and it looks like it's okay not to use the locking clips if you are using a lap belt. If I have misinterpreted that "rule" please correct me.

Saartje
12-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Sounds like you're in good shape. I understand that the rearfacing locking clips can safely be open.

jubilee
12-07-2004, 02:22 AM
I don't have experience with just installing with a lap belt. My son has to have the carseat on the side instead of the middle, so it has the shoulder belt as well. I'm not sure of the difference- sorry I can't help :(

kwc
12-07-2004, 02:31 AM
Sounds like you are in good shape, but just wanted to let you know we had a similar problem last year with the base of our Snugride in our Subaru... the buckle assembly was high up and would have interfered with threading the belt through the base. Our CPS tech said that the "female" part of the buckle had an overly long stalk, so he twisted the stalk 2-3 times to make it shorter, and then clicked in the "male" part... rock solid fit.

Sorry about the blowout. Glad that you are safe.

Karen