PDA

View Full Version : Bad color job - Should I ask for a re-do?

babymama
12-07-2004, 01:24 PM
UPDATE -
So after checking in with you all here, I called my hairdresser. She was a bit defensive about the whole thing ("well, I heard you say that the previous color job was too dark, so I lightened the color I used to accomodate your request,"). In the end though, she offered to fix the color. SO I went in last week, and I'm pleased with the result! Thanks for your help!

Original Post
I had my hairdresser cover some gray and the color doesn;t match my natural color at all. SO should I call her and ask her to do it over? This is the second time this has happened. I didn't say anythign the first time bc she did it for free (as a trial). When she started the color this time around, I told her the previous color was too dark and asked her to give me a color that matched better. Well, now the color is WAY too light and so my hair is light at the roots and then darker (natural color) about 1/2 inch out from the roots. It looks two-tone.

Alternatively, I could mention it to her when I see her on Dec 21st. I'll be back in her shop for a hair thinning then.

I like her a lot, and I'm very non-confrontational so I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea of telling her I don;t like my hair.

heidis2girls
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I would tell her. If you are not happy with it she should redo it free of charge. That is what my stylist does, although I've never had her redo a color. I have had her recut it a couple of days after the initial cut. They want you to be happy and come back.

Maybe she could color all of your hair, then it would surely match. I have my gray covered with a semi-permanent color and she colors the gray first and then combs the color through the rest of my hair and leaves it for about 10 more minutes.

I had a hard time telling my stylist because I really like her, but I was so mad every time I looked at my hair I knew I had to do something! She was great about it, she wouldn't even take the tip I tried to give her!

Good luck!

dr mom
12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I would call immediately, let her know that you are unhappy with the color and ask what she can do to fix it. Sometimes chemical processes continue to develop for a day or two after they are applied, so maybe she will be as surprised with the results as you were. I hate to think that she let you leave the salon with two-tone hair!

So many hairdressers rely on word-of-mouth referrals for new clients, she isn't going to want an unhappy client walking around with funny-looking hair - it's bad for business! She should offer to fix it for free, but you need to call NOW and not wait.

A tactful way to do this would be saying "you've always done such a great job with my hair, I recommend you to all my friends, and this is the first time I haven't been thrilled with the results - when my hair dried/I looked at it in a different light/I went to style it, I realized that the color just wasn't quite right. Can you help me to fix it?" A professional stylist will offer to make it right at no charge (assuming you contact her within a few days, not weeks later) especially if you have been a longtime customer. And sandwiching the complaint in with lots of praise takes the sting out of it.

Hope you get holiday hair that you love!

jayali
12-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I would probably go see a colorist to have it fixed. I used to go to the same person to color and cut my hair and never really loved it. Then a friend suggested I go to a colorist. They really do have a good eye for color and how it takes to people's hair. If your hairdresser doesn't have that eye then she can color it again, BUT, you may not like it again. I would tell her the next time you see her that it was too light, but definitely would not have her fix it.

missmelis01
12-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Absolutely ask her to touch it up! You are paying for a service and if the results aren't acceptable, you have every right to ask that they be remedied, and you can approach your stylist in a non-confrontational way.

I have been getting my hair colored for over 10 years and would without a doubt ask for a touch-up if I wasn't happy with the results.

I think the larger issue, though, is the fact that your stylist can't get the color right! Color is so tricky -- the woman who does my color does only color, and then I go to somebody else for a cut.

Good luck, and don't feel bad!!! :-)

jbowman
12-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I must have missed your original post, Lydia. I'm glad to hear that things worked out and that you had your hair re-done!