PDA

View Full Version : How will you handle the Santa situation? ("Does Santa really exist?")

kristine_elen
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure what we'll do. On the one hand, I don't want to lie to Jack, and on the other, I don't want to deprive him of the whole Santa experience/fantasy (or have him ruin it for other kids).

What do you plan to do?

aliceinwonderland
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
I have the same exact concern and posted a few weeks ago...may want to do a quick search, I think my title was "what is your Santa policy" or something like that...

people had different perspectives...I'm glad I don't have to decide anytime soon!

aliceinwonderland
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
I have the same exact concern and posted a few weeks ago...may want to do a quick search, I think my title was "what is your Santa policy" or something like that...

people had different perspectives...I'm glad I don't have to decide anytime soon!

kristine_elen
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Must have missed that one. thanks.

kristine_elen
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Must have missed that one. thanks.

sbjf
12-07-2004, 05:57 PM
I didn't post to Eri's thread so I'll give my input here.

I plan to have John believe in Santa as a young boy, my parents played it up for me and I loved it and was not traumatized when I discovered he's not real, can't even remember that actually.

When John asks me or dh if Santa is real, which will hopefully be when he's a bit older, maybe at least 7, anyway, I have what I think is a sweet way to handle this.

I've heard of parents doing this and I think it's a very positive way to 'fess up' that Santa is not real.

Once one of your kids figures out that Santa may not be real you can make it seem like a game, say "Yay! You figured it out! You're so smart! Ok, don't tell your (other sibling(s))! They have to figure it out one day on their own."

I think when some kids find out about Santa being imaginary some parents take it too seriously, making it traumatic like telling them that a loved one died. If you break this news to the child in such a serious way, it may break their heart. Instead you can make the kids feel like they outsmarted you (the parents) by figuring it out.

My sil and bil have an 11 year old and a 7 year old and the 11 year old has been really questioning Santa and the Easter Bunny for at least 3 years, but her parents continue to try to make her believe, going to really ridiculous lengths in my opinion, just so that she won't spoil it for her younger brother. They don't trust her to keep it a secret from him and they still want him to believe so that's why they go to these lengths. The daughter is a big mouth.

Anyway, that's my plan right now!

8isenough
12-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Under a threat of death should they reveal there is no Santa to their younger still believin' siblings, Santa DOES still exist in our house and will until Ansley gets older. :)
Unfortunately you always have a few big mouthed kids in school who blow it earlier than you expect. :(
I really think that there is such a lack of fantasy and imagination these days in our children and I truly do not believe that the Santa fib is detrimental in anyway. However, you should do what you feel is best for your family and weigh the pros and cons. I personally have such warm memories of the times I "believed" it seemed only natural I would continue the same tradition with my brood.

Sterling

MelissaTC
12-07-2004, 06:17 PM
We plan to play it up as long as possible. My friend had her daughters believing until they were like 11 and 12! When other kids used to tell them that there was no Santa, they used to argue and say there was! One time, one of the girls had on the cutest little top. I complimented her on it and she replied "Thanks. Santa brought it for me." Kids are forced to grow up too fast. We still believe in the magic of Christmas and I hope that DS will too!

toomanystrollers
12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
"What do you plan to do?"

Well, I've already called Santa twice to make sure Tess and Shea weren't on his NAUGHTY LIST ;-)