PDA

View Full Version : OT: How long do holiday cookies last?

ethansmom
12-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I should probably clarify....how long do they stay fresh? I'm not sure if this is a moot point or not since they might get gobbled up before going stale....

I want to make a bunch of decorated sugar cookies, but want to do them all in one or two days. If I make them this weekend, will they be edible at Christmas?

TIA!

brigmaman
12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
In my family we set aside a day to bake cookies for Christmas Eve and Day celebrations. We usually bake about a week to a week and a half before Christmas and eat the cookies for about 2 weeks from when we made them. There are always sugar cookies because those are the ones the kids get to make and decorate while we are kneeding the stollen and rolling the stroufala (sp?)
So I'd say if you keep your cookies in an airtight container they'd be fine to eat on Christmas. They would probably just get harder as time went on.

dowlinal
12-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Another option is freezing them. Most cookies can be frozen and come out just fine. Prior to this year I have generally made like 20+ different kinds of cookies starting in Oct and I just freeze them until right before.

Buffys Mommy
12-08-2004, 12:56 AM
We do Christmas cookie weekend every year. I stopped counting after the year I counted 31 dozen chocolate chip cookies...

My mom stores all the "extra" cookies in rubbermaid containers. I've eaten 3-4 week old cookies that taste almost as fresh as day 1 cookies. If you are concerned, I do think they would freeze well also.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

cinrein
12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Another option is to make you dough early and freeze or refrigerate it. Then if you want some fresh baked cookies, just pull some out and bake.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

jbowman
12-08-2004, 07:57 AM
I always freeze cookies in a freezer bag. They only take a few minutes to thaw. That way I don't have to worry about them going stale--although I can't imagine that happening in my house!

laretce6
12-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Well if you're my MIL you freeze them and are still pulling them out the following Thanksgiving for "appetizers". Yes I'm totally serious ;)

I think if you make them now and store them in an airtight container they'll be fine at Christmas. I usually start making mine a few weeks ahead.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04