PDA

View Full Version : Happiest Toddler vs 1-2-3 Magic or something else?

billysmommy
12-07-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm looking into getting one (or both) of these books and am looking for any advice. Billy is starting to get pretty well into the tantrum stage since starting back to daycare. They are becoming much more frequent and come pretty much when he doesn't want to do something. He communicates most of his needs (hungry, thirsty, bath, dirty, etc) fairly well with signs and doesn't get too frustrated with that. It's more when he decides he's had enough of something but doesn't know what he wants to do next and when he's bored.
I'd like to have a game plan that DH and I can both be on the same page with. I've heard good things about both of these books and am trying to figure out which would be better for what we want. Those of you that have read and use these, what do you like, don't like about them or is there another book that you recommend?
TIA for your help :)

JLiebCamm
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
I've read both books and think that both make some great points that help with understanding your child's behavior. I have not been able to effectively implement the 1-2-3 method because I haven't figured out to to carry through a time out. I've tried the "Happiest Baby" method and it does distract my DS during a tantrum, but doesn't really have the impact that the book promises. I found both books at my library. If you can get to yours, I would suggest borrowing them first and see what you think.

lukkykatt
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
With my older son I used 123 Magic, which was advised by our ped. I never thought I would agree with anything involving counting, but I totally changed my mind after reading it. The one thing I would say though is that I would not even try to start using the method until at least two and maybe later depending on your son's personality.

In the meantime, I would just be consistent in your approach, redirect, and praise good behavior. This being said from someone who is in a daily battle of the terrible two's. It really will go away at some point.