PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, and Jack update

lmintzer
12-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I want to thank the many of you who offered kind words, thoughts, and prayers for our little guy and for all of us. I am always touched by the generosity of spirit that is conveyed on this board.

Jack is home now and sleeping in his own bed. The whole hospitalization and surgery experience was as good as this kind of thing can be. We feel very lucky that we are in the "right" professions to get the best of care for our kiddos.

A short summary: he went to bed comfortably with dh there and slept well. In the a.m., he was happy. He asked twice about eating breakfast but didn't seem too disappointed (surprisingly enough) when dh said no and explained why. Thankfully, the surgeon decided to put him as first case. I don't think it was our asking that did this, but just that Jack's case would be short and there wasn't a good reason not to just get it done.

I was heartsick to not be there this a.m. for him, but really, I don't think my not being there hurt Jack. He had dh, whom he is extremely close to as well as our good friend Rachel who is a peds. intensive care fellow. She happened to have been on call last night (how lucky is that), and she came by and played with him and went to pre-op with them this a.m.

Jack did pretty well there--a few minor meltdowns and a little anticipatory anxiety, but he drank his Versed without a problem which made him happily groggy. From that point, it was no problem to get him to breathe into the mask for the inhalation induction.

He had a bit harder of time in recovery, I'm told. He cried, asked to stand up before he was ready. I think they may have tried to reinsert his IV but seem to have given up (what probably happened was that he pulled it out and they tried only once more). The poor guy has bruises on each hand and a foot and the crook of his arm, so they seem to have had some trouble getting venus access. At least he won't remember post-op too well.

For the rest of the day, he was groggy and irritable off and on, but he asked to eat once we were discharged (around 4:00 p.m.) and was given "chicken and french fries" from McDonalds (yep, first thing he wanted was junk food). We got him to bed, and he's been sleeping nicely since 7:30.

He never ceases to amaze me with just how sharp he is. He's a little distrustful of us, asking many times if we were "going to put more medicine in his bottom" (referring to 5 nights of Fleet enemas prior to hospitalization--sorry if TMI). We say no and explain why. Then, he says "I don't want to see any more doctors." We ask why. He says "Because ANOTHER doctor might say I have to have medicine in my bottom." Wow! That's pretty good abstract reasoning.

At any rate, this is getting long, and I'm totally wiped out.

We'll keep you posted on how he does and on how the tests done come out. We're trying to rule out a few "zebras" as they're called, even though this is most likely just very bad "fucntional constipation" (in other words, caused by holding behavior).

jamsmu
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Lisa, So glad to hear things are okay for Jack! I've been thinking aout you all.

bluej
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Sounds like Jack is doing well. I bet you are glad to have him back home! I hope the little guy sleeps well tonight and everything gets to working normally soon!

candybomiller
12-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Oh thank God. I've been so worried. (((((Big, Big HUGS))))) to you and Jack. And DH and Joshua of course. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better.

You must be exhausted. If there's anything you need, please email me.

muskiesusan
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Lisa, I am glad things went well. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

JElaineB
12-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Lisa,

I haven't been on much in the past couple of days so I am just now reading about poor Jack! I am glad everything went as well as could be expected and I hopes he makes a speedy recovery. Hope he's feeling better already and doesn't need to see any more doctors (except for Dad I guess!)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mudder17
12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm so glad to hear that things went as well as they could have. It never ceases to amaze me just how resilient children are. And hearing you describe his reasoning is also one of the really neat things I love about talking with children. They really are smarter than we often give them credit for!

Anyway, I'm glad you took time to posted even though you must all be so exhausted. Get some rest and know that we're praying that things will go back to "normal" pretty soon. :)

Hugs!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

TaChapm
12-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Wow...what a smart little guy! I'm so glad everything went ok. I hope his recovery is quick and painless.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
and Surprise! #2 EDD 6-28-05

http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/2/8/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050629/3/0/1/-6/.png

ALLEYCAT
12-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Wishing Jack a speedy recovery. And new not holding habits.

Bethann31
12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
I am so glad things worked out so well. I have thought about Jack for several days, and have been hoping for just this outcome.

And, What a smart boy!!

Beth

StaceyKim
12-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the update.

I am so happy to hear Jack is at home and sleeping! You must be relieved that this is done!

pritchettzoo
12-08-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm so glad it went as well as possible. I can't imagine Gracie undergoing surgery! I hope he recovers quickly, and all of you get some rest.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

trumansmom
12-08-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm so glad it wasn't too traumatic. Thank you for the update. I've been thinking about you.

Big hugs to Jack.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

jasabo
12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Poor kiddo. Being in the hospital is never fun. I'm glad he's ok now.

Lisa - mom to 17 month old twin boys

Roleysmom
12-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Lisa, I'm so relieved that things went as well as possible. I'm glad that your kiddo is feeling better!
Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

Dcclerk
12-09-2004, 12:33 AM
He is a smart little guy! I'm so glad to hear that everything went so well. Here's hoping that the zebras or whatever animal it turns out to be get slain soon.

deborah_r
12-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Lisa,

I am so glad to hear he is doing well. I haven't been on the boards as much and have been having trouble keeping up with everyone, so I am sorry I missed the earlier posts. I hope he stays well and does not need to spend any more time in the hospital!

jubilee
12-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Jack really is amazing! So sharp and such a trooper. I'm glad he's home safely and hope all goes well.

new_mommy25
12-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Om my goodness Lisa, you are such an incredibly strong woman. I can't imagine going through all of that without having a breakdown. Jack sounds like a really smart and lucky kid and I'm so glad that things are finally looking up. I'll be looking for your updates.

barbarhow
12-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Lisa-I am so glad that Jack is home wit you and doing so well considering everything he has been through. Thanks for the update-I worried about him all day yesterday. Hope he feels even better today.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

sugarsnappea
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Oh Lisa, I am so happy that you have your son home. I hope your family has a relaxing weekend.

amp
12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Aww, poor lamb. What a trooper Jack has been. And you too Mama! Get some rest and take care of each other. Fingers crossed that this took care of the problem and Jack won't have to endure any more of this.

brigmaman
12-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Good luck with everything! Feel better little guy!

himom
12-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know how Jack is doing. I'm glad everything went so well and he's feeling better!

Jodi

jbowman
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
So glad to hear that everything went as well as it could! I was really worried about Jack! Take care, Lisa!

ktdid74
12-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Lisa- I'm so glad everything went well. I was always concerned that DS would end up with something like what Jack is going through. We had holding behavior for at least 9 months and it's just so difficult. Hugs to you and your DS--

marinkitty
12-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Lisa - I'm so glad to hear that it went well. Sounds like Jack is such a little trooper. I hope you all get some good rest tonight!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png