PDA

View Full Version : Another question about possible speach delay

mamicka
12-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Since we've had so many questions on this lately I thought I'd throw mine in the ring.

DS is going in for his 18 month appt. sometime next week. He signs a lot - never got all the signs in the Signing Time videos but at least 20 he does really often. He hasn't said any real words or even attempts at words with the exception of 'No' & 'Mama'. 'No' he says quite often, even when he means 'yes'. 'Mama' he has said about 3 times in the last month. He does babble, but mainly he whines & grunts. He seems to comprehend just about everything & I see no other areas that I would think would be delayed. So far his ped hasn't been concerned & I don't really expect him to be next week, although he may recommend getting DS evaluated. Just thought I'd see what all of you gals have to say.

Thanks for any input.
Allison

JLiebCamm
12-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Nate's language didn't really show great development until he was around 20 months. At his 18 month visit the ped said that as long as he showed good understanding of our words she wasn't concerned yet. And sure enough, he came around.

mamicka
12-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Good to hear. I was thinking this was a possibility. Thanks!

Allison

Mikesa3
12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
I had two early talker and 4 late talkers.The late talkers started talking around 22 months.My youngest ds is 21 months and says less then 8 words but I won't worry until he's at least two since he understands everything I say(even if he doesn't listen.LOL)
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids