PDA

View Full Version : Parents of biracial Caucasian/African American children?

Oregonmother
12-08-2004, 11:20 PM
What products do you use on you DC hair to keep it moisturized and hold the curl so it doesn't get frizzy? I have tried pink moisturizing lotion and another gel product, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good products. Also, how often do you wash and brush their hair. I find if I wash it to much it get's too dry, and brushing it makes it really frizzy. My DH has very short hair, so he really doesn't have any advice for me. TIA!

ellies mom
12-09-2004, 12:20 AM
I only wash DD's with shampoo once or twice a week. Every couple of days I may use a leave-in detangler before I comb it, the other times I use water. The way it was explained to me is: Condition, Condition, Condition, and never comb dry (skip brushing). I'm looking for some specific products also but haven't had much luck. Right now I just use Johnsons detangling formula shampoo.

There was a post on this subject a while back in Reality Layette. Some products were listed but I haven't had luck finding them. There is also a book called Curly Girl that has a lot of good advice and if I remember right, make at home products. I'll be picking it up soon now that DD's hair is really starting to curl.

My DH isn't much use either.

sdbc
12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
My dd is not biracial, but I have very curly hair--similar in texture to what you are describing. Here is what I do:
1. NEVER brush my hair EVER (do not even own a brush)
2. Comb it only while in the shower/bath with conditioner in it. This means I do wash it every morning because it gets knotty overnight.

3. The first two things cut down on friz tremendously, but I also use a product. I alternate between using a moisturizing light-hold mousse (such as paul mitchell medium hold), and the art-tech smoothing serum. Neither leave my hair looking wet or greasy, and my hair always feels soft. I only use a small amount of product and I have long hair.

I get hair compliments all the time now, so I guess it works! When I was a kid I had no clue what to do with my hair, so I brushed it and it was always an afro. I got my share of teasing back then...

Sue

Oregonmother
12-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks Ladies for your suggestions. I will try them out and see how they work for us. DS hair isn't very long right now and it is growing in very unevenly, so this will be helpful once it gets a little bit longer.

Tondi G
12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
My God daughter is mixed and she has beautiful CURLY hair!!!! Her mommy uses the Loreal Kids 2 in 1 shampoo with conditioner and then often uses some leave in conditioner or uses some no more tangles on her hair. She only brushes it when it's wet.... once it's dry thats just the way it is! She often wears two pig tail braids cause it keeps her hair managable!!!!

Good luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

alexsmommy
12-09-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm African-American, my step-daughter has a bi-racial mother (thus step-daughter has long, but kinky hair), and my nephews are bi-racial - so I have lots of experience with this. Bi-racial kids have a wide range of hair textures, and I can't really tell from your avatar how "kinky" DC hair is - but hopefully can stear you in right direction. For DS, I only wash his hair 2x week - enough to keep it clean, but not enough to dry it out. I use Creme of Nature shampoo - if you live in a fairly multi-cultural area you should be able to find it easily. If not, next time you're in a larger city, go to a beauty supply store and stock up on the big (and much cheaper) bottles. It's adult shampoo so watch the eyes during rinsing. In all honestly, DS only opened his eyes once and the stinging has led him to keep his eyes closed. Shampoo designed for Caucasian hair can be too drying and can make hair stiff and difficult to comb through. Baby shampoo was a nightmare. I use AA children's detanglers - again look in the ethnic hair care section- there are several brands - before brushing (soft boars hair brush)- but we keep DS's hair short - 1/4" guard on clipper.
Step-daughter - wash hair 1x/wk (2x in summer if she needs it) with Creme of Nature. While hair is wet, put in cream moisturizer (ie Moisture Max - any will really do) and COMB through with the widest tooth comb we can find. NO brushing - causes frizz and tangles. If she's wearing it down and curly, I use Paul Mitchell (or similar frizz reducing products) lightly. Moisturize LIGHTLY with cream moisture daily. If I'm putting in braids, I put them in while her hair is wet - much easier.
My sister-in-law does similar routine on her boys' hair. Each has really different texture (one big loose curls, the other more kinky and course) but she washes, puts in cream moisturizer, and combs with wide tooth comb (or when short, brushes with boar hair brush).
The heavier oil moisturizers can be good for making "waves" if DC's hair is short. Some are marketed for this, but most of them work if used lightly and hair is brushed back. I'm not where I can give you product names, but if you need them, I'll post more tomorrow. HTH.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

Oregonmother
12-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Thank you so much Alaina, thats a lot of info. I would love to know some of the names of the products. We have a few shops here where they have a special section for these products. My DS hair is fairly fine and if I use product in his hair, the curls are about the size of a childs pinky finger. So far all of the products i have tried only hold for a while though and then his hair get's frizzy. My hair is very straight. His hair is long on top, but very short on the sides so I am curious to see how the curls turn out once it grows a little longer. i can't bring myself to cut it yet.