PDA

View Full Version : Latest update.. sort of good news. - UPDATED at 9.30am ET

papal
12-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Just spoke briefly to Jonathan... he was talking to M on the other line, so I will call back.
But it is NOT a blood clot.. it may just be pneumonia. I know 'just pneumonia' does not sound right but from what I gather, it is way better than a blood clot.

Will update when I talk to him some more.

I know our prayers and good thoughts are working. Come home soon Marisa! We love you!

ETA:
So here is another update. I just got of the phone with Jonathan.
She is still in the ICU that is just so that they can keep monitoring her till they figure out EXACTLY what is going on. They did a CAT scan last night that ruled out the PE. There is still fluid in her lungs making her breathing laboured so she is on oxygen. Hopefully, today they can narrow down exactly what is going on. The LC or whoever is probably going to come this morning to figure out the whole pumping thing so she doesn't get mastitis. Jonathan said that he does not think she can take incoming calls from non-family members in the ICU. He said that he put Sophie on the phone to talk to M but this just ended up upsetting her more than anything. He said he is also waving his magic wand and Soph's birthday is going to be on the 20th of December this year... so she does not know it is her birthday today.
Her mom is coming up there today. Sophie is not doing so well with all the new faces she is seeing so Jonathan says that M's mom will be a good thing at this time. The doula is going to be there till M comes home.

He said that M is overwhelmed with all the love and support she is getting from us.. she said to say a big THANKS.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, right now, with the mom and doula, they have home base covered. The hospital is walking distance or a $6 cab-ride away so Jonathan said he is fine getting back and forth to the hospital.

The only thing apart from the doula hours that would be useful right now would be hot food. he said he really has not eaten, he is not hungry...and that when the MIL comes they will go get groceries.
If we can figure out a way to get hot food there everyday, that will at least be one less worry.

So for now, James and I are staying put here. Jonathan said that Sophie is just getting confused with all the new people. Becs hopefully can see M tmmrw and give us a real-life update too.

McQ
12-10-2004, 08:52 AM
That is better news! What's a treatment plan for pneumonia? How long will she need to be away from her babies? So many questions, but it does sound like it's much better than a blood clot!

Keep improving Marisa!!! We're thinking of you!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

octmom
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Whew! I hope that they can get Marisa started on the right meds to fix her up quickly and get her home to her family. I have been so worried about all of them. Any word on whether or not her mother is coming in to "help"?

Keep us posted, please!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

jbowman
12-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the update, Rashmi! I hope she gets better soon! I have been so worried for her and her family!

momathome
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Oh, I 'hope' that is all it is! Defintely sounds a lot less scary than PE or cardiomyopathy. Hang in there, Marisa, we are pulling for you!

kelly ann
12-10-2004, 09:16 AM
When I was admitted for pneumonia I was put on very agressive antibiotics through an IV (it probably depends on the severity). I also had to do breathing therapy through some tube to help clear out my lungs while in the hospital. I was only there for a few days, but it wiped out my energy level for weeks. I remember the doctor telling me it may be a couple months before I get back to my old self.

I really hope it is not a bad case of pnuemonia because she need to get back to her girls - I am sure they miss her :(

Thinking positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!!!

dowlinal
12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Compared to the other possibilities pneumonia is so much better. This is great news!!!!

jk3
12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
That's a relief. I can't imagine how terrifying this ordeal has been for Marisa. I hope she feels better + gets home as soon as possible.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Rachels
12-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Wow. We will take ANY good news at this point, and pneumonia is way better than a PE. I'm sorry she is so sick and so sad. I desperately wish we could be closer and help more substantially. Continuing to think of her...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

sugarsnappea
12-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the update Rashmi. I am so glad that the Docs ruled out a blood clot! Keep getting better Marisa, we are all thinking of you! :)

C99
12-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Depends on whether it's walking pneumonia or the severity of the case. When I had pneumonia, I was treated with a round of IV antibiotics and ventilator treatments, then antibiotics in pill form, more ventilator treatments,and prednisone. As Kelley Ann said, I slept a lot and felt better after about 10 days, but I felt run down for about another 3 months or so and was on prednisone off and on until it finally got knocked out.

Poor Marisa; pneumonia is crappy enough without recovering from birth and with 2 babies at home.

Puddy73
12-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm so relieved to hear that it is not PE. Hang in there, Marisa, we are all sending hugs and prayers and positive thoughts!!!!!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

jamsmu
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
THanks Rashmi.

As far as hot foods, when my mom was in the hospital, my family prepaid at local restaurants so that all my dad had to do was order and it was always paid for. Some towns have a restaurant delivery service that covers a lot of restaurants (I think in Dallas it was called Restaurant Express?). Maybe that will help?

McQ
12-10-2004, 10:00 AM
I think Helene mentioned a website in their area that provides hot meals. Marisa sent her the link. I'll ping Helene to see if she can dig that up.

So glad the LC is getting on the ball!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

mharling
12-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Allison -
That would be wonderful. I have been digging and digging through the Lounge and coming up empty-handed.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

Andrea S
12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the update. I am glad it is not a PE. I hope she gets well and can go home to her babies. I also hope Sophie is better with her Grandma there.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

amp
12-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Thinking so much of her and her family and hoping that she is recovering soon and home with her babies ASAP!

marinkitty
12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the update Rashmi. While not the best news, it certainly sounds more encouraging than what they knew yesterday. I still cannot imagine the hurt of being away from Sophie and Amelia, but I'm glad to hear that Jonathan and her mom have some of the basics under control. Please keep us posted if you hear of anything else we can do; and hopefully we'll figure out the hot food thing for her soon!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png