PDA

View Full Version : Good Update on Marisa 11:00 am EST

dowlinal
12-10-2004, 11:10 AM
*** Can someone help me find breasthorns and a kit for Marisa. The hospital pump is ancient so she's having Jonathan bring her medula pump from home and the standard ones that came with it are too small plus she needs all of the tubes, containers etc. I know that BuyBuyBuy has them but I can't get there before I visit her. Does anyone know of a website where I can buy them and have them overnighted to her? I don't care about costs. TIA!!!"

Ok girls I am speaking to Marisa right now and things are looking so much better. They have definitely ruled out PE and her fever broke around 4 am. She needs to have an echocardiogram to rule out the cardiac myopathy but they think it is viral pneumonia. She will need to stay in for a few more days and it will take some time for her to recover but this is much better news than yesturday.

Right now she is still in the ICU but she is going to be moved to a regular room later today. As long as she is in ICU she cannot receive calls but should be able to get calls later today. She cannot have Amelia at the hospital because there is some concern that Marisa is contangeous. She asked that anyone wishing to send stuff send it to her house. Also she is anticipating a several boring days recovering in the hospital so any help at entertaining would be greatly appreciated.

Her mother is arriving soon and she will care for Sophie. They need the 24hr doula until Marisa comes home and then she will switch back to the regular doula.

A

ETA - I posted this on an earlier thread but it may be buried. I am going to see Marisa around 5 pm today. If you PM me a message for her I will bring it with me. She cried when I told her about all of the posts about her so I know that she would love to hear from everyone.

mharling
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Alexis -
This is very encouraging news. I'll tell you again that Marisa is very lucky to have you there!!!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

slknight
12-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh, thank God. I went to bed so depressed because I didn't know what I could do for her. I'm glad it sounds like things might get better. Sending many more positive thoughts her way. And I hope everyone can survive her mother visiting!

tina-t
12-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I hope that her condition continues to improve and that she feels better. Sending prayers and positive thoughts her way.

heidis2girls
12-10-2004, 11:32 AM
I am so glad to hear this! I've been thinking about her nonstop since I heard that she was back in the hospital. I feel so badly for her that she is so sick and cannot see her babies. I had strep throat a few weeks ago and my parents came and took my girls overnight because I was too sick to take care of them (DH was out of town, of course!). I was sobbing and so upset, I can't even imagine how Marisa must feel.

Please give Marisa my best and tell her that we are all thinking about her and wishing her a super fast recovery and an even faster reunion with her babies!

momathome
12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I am so relieved to hear that Marisa is doing better. I will pm you, Alexis!

kthomp
12-10-2004, 11:43 AM
That is great to hear! I just came in and I was hoping there would be some good news.

Keep getting better Marisa! We're all pulling for you!

bluej
12-10-2004, 11:51 AM
This is definitely good news! Not great news, but much better than what I'm sure many of us were anticipating. I hope that she has a speedy recovery and is home with her girls in no time.

aguinn
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Alexis, thanks for the update. SO GLAD to hear that the doc's have a handle on Marisa's illness. I wish her a speedy recovery and not too much boredom while hospital-bound. I don't really know how this will be effected (as no one's mentioned it in the posts I've read), but I hope she'll be able to continue BF'ing Amelia as soon as she's well.

Sending {{healthy vibes}} your way, Marisa!

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months

alkagift
12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Alexis, for the update, this is really encouraging! I know you've got a full-time job and moving to deal with and we appreciate you helping Marisa however you can!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

starrynight
12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm glad to hear some good news! I hope M recovers quickly and isn't bored to tears in the hospital.

Send her a hug from me! I'm so glad you are able to see her, she needs a friend right now I'm sure!

laretce6
12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to say that even those of us who don't "know" Marisa are still praying for her and Jonathan and the girls.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

Puddy73
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
That is wonderful news!!! I'm so glad to hear that Marisa is on the path to recovery. I'm continuing to send prayers and positive thoughts for Marisa and her family.

Thank you for the update and for going to visit Marisa - you are a peach!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

NancyJ_redo
12-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Oh I'm so thankful to see the good news. I'm supposed to be on a work conference call right now but came here first so I could check on M. I was very concerned all of last night, I came home and asked DH all about PE and cardiomyopathy and was really concerned after hearing all about both. I'm really relieved to hear that she is on the road to recovery and that the fever broke.

Please tell Marisa we're all thinking of and praying for her and hope she's home soon to hold those little girls of hers!

cara1
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
So glad things are moving in the right direction...

COElizabeth
12-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the update, Alexis! I am so glad to hear that things are looking better. Please tell Marisa that the best possible birthday present she could give Sophie is to rest up and get better so they can celebrate all the more when this is behind them.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

egoldber
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Oh that is WONDERFUL news!!!! As bad as it must be to have viral pneumonia, I was truly frightened when I read it could be PE or cardiomyopathy.

Hope you are feeling better soon Marisa and you are soon home again with your family!!

jamsmu
12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm so glad to hear things are beginning to look better for Marisa. I'll PM a message. Thanks Alexis!

barbarhow
12-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Oh thank God. I have been so worried about her. Thanks Alexis for keeping an eye on our friend.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

candybomiller
12-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Please, please tell me that I read it wrong that M's Mom is coming!!? That's the LAST thing she needs right now. My poor Marisa!!!!

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad I don't have to worry quite so much anymore. Give M my love and let her know we're thinking about her constantly!

McQ
12-10-2004, 12:36 PM
What great news! I'm so relived she's on the road to recovery!

Just a thought...when I was at the hospital they didn't have an internet connection but I could use my laptop and go through my dial-up provider. Yes I know that's a pita and would tie up a phone (don't shoot me girls I know you want to talk to her) but that could be an option so she could get on here.

Alexis - here's the website that I've bought my Medela accessories from. http://www.mybreastpump.com/ The woman who owns it is great and has been very helpful when I've had questions on what to buy. I'm pretty sure she's a nurse and/or LC.

ETA on more thing on the breastpump. I have a Medela PIS at home and use a hospital grade Medela Classic at work. The Classic is MUCH MUCH better than the PIS. It has a stronger suction and I get more milk when I use it. A hospital grade is supposed to be better for you too when you're trying to beef up your supply. I know my hospital rents hospital grade pumps. Would her hospital have something like that that might be better than the one they lent her? Or another hospital that has a better selection?

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

deborah_r
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
>Please, please tell me that I read it wrong that M's Mom is
>coming!!? That's the LAST thing she needs right now. My poor
>Marisa!!!!
>

I'm also very worried about M trying to recover with her mother there. I will be praying she will be trying to help rather than try to derail Marisa at every corner.

I am so gald to hear she is doing better, and that those scary things have been ruled out.

Question: I have no personal experience with LLL, but if we were to contact the LLL near her, would someone from LLL be willing to go help her immediately with whatever she needs to get pumping? Would that be expecting too much from LLL?

Jeanne
12-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the update. So relieved it's not the worst!

pritchettzoo
12-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Great news! It's so frustrating being so far away and not knowing anything. Thank you Alexis for giving us updates.

Also, please take care of yourself--if she's contagious, you don't need to be sick! Take some Airborne or Lysol or something...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

dowlinal
12-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Anna,
Thanks for the reminder!! It never even crossed my mind. I will sanitize myself before heading home to Madeline.

A

lmladuke
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I have just been reading all of the posts on Marisa today. OMG the poor thing - to have her new baby is such a wonderful, emotional time and then to have all of this happen. My heart goes out to her. I am glad she is feeling better and that the docs are ruling out some of the really scary possibilities.

Best wishes and hugs Marisa for a speedy recovery so you can get home to your two beautiful girls - and your wonderful DH!

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

Bethann31
12-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Thank Goodness for some good news!! I have been away from my computer all morning, so it was so wonderful to come back and find out that she is going to be ok. I don't think I've ever been so worried about someone I've never actually met in person.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

jd11365
12-10-2004, 01:51 PM
I just sent you a PM for Marisa...

Thanks!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Dcclerk
12-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Hurray! I never thought I would cheer on pneumonia but in this case, I really am. Big hugs for Marisa and the gang!

cinrein
12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Thank God!!! I'm so happy to read this!
Please let Marisa know that I'm thinking of her and sending healthy healing vibes and big hugs.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

brigmaman
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear things are shaping up. I bought a few Medela accessories from Lilbunz.com. Trisha is very helpful.

Roleysmom
12-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank heavens things are looking up -- we want her home as soon as possible with her two little ones!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

Sarah1
12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Alexis--I PM'ed you and want to say thanks so much for keeping us posted on Marisa. It's so great that you can be there for her. Let us know how your visit goes!

octmom
12-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I just PM'ed you a message for Marisa. Thanks!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

amp
12-10-2004, 03:47 PM
I sent you a pm for M. Thanks for the update!

mudder17
12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Alexis,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. I just got back from the hospital and got on to check on news of Marisa. I'm relieved that her fever broke and that she's on the road to recovery, even though she's still quite ill.

I spent some time talking to some of the LC's today and they definitely said that if you're trying to build or increase your supply, you really want a hospital grade pump. It's actually why I've made the choice to rent a hosptial pump for 6 weeks instead of buying one. The other pumps available for mass market like the Medela pump 'n style or the Ameda one are good for maintaining your supply but won't help build your supply. Since Marisa is just starting out, she would need a hospital grade pump. If her hospital doesn't have one available, the LC's recommend contacting the local LLL people and they'll know the best place nearby to rent a suitable pump.

Marisa, hang in there! I'm so glad you're doing better, and I hope you get to see your babies soon! Hugs!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

jasabo
12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Great news! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for her. I'm sorry that she has to spend time away fromm her family and especially Amelia, but I'm glad that she's going to be ok.

Lisa - mom to 17 month old twin boy

calebsmama03
12-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Alexis -
I PM'd you with some info.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

RwnMayfair
12-10-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm do glad Marisa is doing better! I'm sorry she still has to stay there a few days more and that Amelia can't be with her, but at least things are looking up.

Marisa, I hope you're totally better and home with your babies soon!

::hugs::

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

RwnMayfair
12-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Sometimes Lactation Consultants rent pumps as well, my mother used to do so. She also sold parts for the Medela pumps. In fact, Medela has a locator on their website to find people in your area. Their locator is at: http://www.medela.com/scripts/dealer_locator.htm

Anyway, parts and/or a better pump might be able to be found for Marisa using the locator, just as an idea. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!