PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Today - Um it's not going well

JulieL
12-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Ok, I started this morning, with naked bottom time.

We read the potty book that he knows by heart, we got the potty chair out that we've had for months now (which btw he likes to play with LOL). I promised chocolate if he peed/pooped in the potty.

Pee 1. was on the kitchen floor in front of me - with an reaction only after I said oh Anthony you peed on the floor, let's try the potty next time, His reaction "Mommy clean up." Thanks bud I was planning on it.

Pee 2. was in his room, he didn't tell me, (although I had been asking over and over again if he needed to pee) but was thoughtfully giving me support when I was cleaning mess #2 up.

He is begging all morning for his pants, I compromise and put on underwear.

After lunch he pees in underwear, asks me to change him.

I put diaper on him so he can nap, poops in it immediately.

He sat on the little potty 2x's and on the big potty 1 all w/no pee. Does this mean he's not ready or do I try again for the rest of the day. I don't want to be a mom who doesn't give her all, but then agian I don't want to have to put in all this effort all day for nothing. Any thoughts?

egoldber
12-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Has he previously peed/pooped successfully on the potty? Has he told you in the past that he had to go and then actually produced on the potty?

If not, then I would wait.

JulieL
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
nope, yeah I think maybe he's not ready, he doesn't seem to care and really want pants back on.

JElaineB
12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I would agree it doesn't sound like he is ready. I think you're better off waiting until he is really ready himself.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Roleysmom
12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
I also agree that it sounds like he is not ready. What if you keep the potty out so it's always around and even if he plays with it, he gets used to it being out. (Forgive me if you are already doing that.) Potty training for us was a really long process (about a year) that started slowly and picked up speed as Roley seemed more interested. For most of the process, Roley wore diapers but I would ask her if she needed to go potty and sometimes she would be interested enough to want to use the toilet. This worked especially when we were out. I think she liked to explore the bathrooms and she knew that if we were all seated at a restaurant and she said she had to go potty, she'd get whisked immediately to the bathroom. She liked that! Once she started using the toilet outside of the house, she seemed much more interested in using it
inside. She generally wouldn't tell me though, I'd have to ask and then remove her diaper and get her to the potty.

Good luck!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02