PDA

View Full Version : News from Ukraine -the adoption

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Hello ladies, I finally found an internet cafe here in Kiev and wanted to send out a note to you all before updating the blog...Julie and others thank you so much for the kind words and thoughts they mean the world to us.

I have skimmed the lounge quickly (very quickly)...and am trying to follow the Marisa and Amelia story and I think I am reading that Amelia (or Marisa) has pneumonia...PLEASE someone let her know they are in my thoughts and prayers-we are thinking about them and hope they are under the roof of their home soon!!!!!

I also saw that Anna is expecting - YIPPPEE!!!!!! I have my fanta (without ice how do they live without ice in their drink???) lifted high sending you a cheers as I type...sorry if I have missed other big news I'll try to catch up when at a cheap and fast internet cafe :)

So our update...I CAN NOT SHARE THIS PUBLICALLY YET-TO THE ADOPTION COMMUNITY OR EVEN MY BLOG!!!!!, much of this adoption world is done behind closed doors, via relationships with facilitator and NAC or even orphanages...and heads can roll, prison terms can happen and adoption disruptions can occur if process is not followed, in other words a rival facilitator can take such info and sabatoge an adoption...I wanted to share with you ladies for I know many of you have been on this rollercoaster ride with us as much as anyone and couldn't dare not share with you...Melanie and Julie I think you are the only ones who might be on the adoption forums please know this is under hats for now...

Here goes...
Without a doubt yesterday (the 10th) was the most emotional day of my life...we got up early yesterday for our appt at the NAC, we were prepped the night before that no children had become available that met our reguest (sorry not the best or words but typing quickly and hard to be too PC where I am at right now). My facilitator seemed to think we would be fine with a boy and girl and it appeared that they had a boy and girl in mind for us. I specifically have wanted to adopt two boys under ages 7, and we of course were willing to consider a sibling group of 3 and a specific group of 4 (already adopted we think) if need be...
Calls were coming in late into the evening on the 9th saying that no boys met our criteria, siblings, under 7, both being boys. I didn't sleep at all, I was mad not that two boys were not available but that my facilitator had been quoted as saying "ahhh she'll take a boy and girl I think"...so all night I didn't sleep thinking maybe he had not pushed the issue with the NAC who kind of keeps tabs on who is coming off of the registry etc...

They sat us down in a small room (two other couples too) and told us of the situation, I felt then we'll look at 1 boy, though I feared a huge age gap in my children and that one being adopted with two bios might always make my child wonder, feel isolated etc...( though I hope everyone knows that I would do everything in my power to prevent this). I really have always imagined two boys and honestly imagined a 4 and 6 year old or a 5 and 6 year old for some reason.

The girl and the boy they had to the side for us were slightly older, 7 and 8...and my heart was with "my boys"...

then they brought out the books ("the books") filled with outdated pictures of children, and many who are sick, in large sibling groups, older...I could go on and on...though rumor in the adoption community is that the "good" referrals are found on loose pieces of paper coming off the registry that day, my two favorite boys that a local Raleigh gal adopted were from the books, and they are wonderful!!!!!

The books had two sets of siblings that roughly met our description, which only really was confined by age and gender-not race, not corrective health issues, not looks etc...JUST gender and age...

I didn't know how drawn to one set of boys Steve was until after the appointment, they were two little blond boys about 5,6...cute pictures, bright well taken pictures-this looked good...

There was another little boy with a brother who had no picture (no biggie to us since we wouldn't chose our children on looks) and they had an older sister whose where about were unknown. This little boy who was pictured was dressed in a sweater with flowers on it, and blue tights, he clearly looked like a little girl in his dress....

...It was at this time one of the NAC employees approached my facilitator with a file "of boys coming off the registry in 9 days"- this such interaction is rumored to be a huge "no no" in the adoption community for it is out of the "rules and process"...
I asked if they'd tell me more for I was willing to "sit it out" and wait to get the referral. The time to wait, to put our eggs all in one basket, to not be certain, to know nothing really about the children and to sit and stay put didn't seem to interest Steve as much as it did me...I was at a termendous Peace with the thought of these boys who I knew nothing about.

My facilitator said "why don't you go look at other children during this time if you reject them then you come back and see these boys (knowing we could not get the referal till the 19th)"...steve was up for that idea (keep in mind he hasn't done the research and doesn't know many of the stories that I know). I did not like this idea- I felt it was jerking around children's feelings just to "entertain" us for 9 days. Everyone disagreed with me and tried to tell me how many almost don't go to look at a child and then they fall in love with the child on first site who they almost didn't go see (I have personally witnessed this a hundred times in journals etc...). So my heart was with the boys ("the 19th boys")...everyone else thought we should go and meet atleast one fo the groups that interested us...

So sadly, exhausted...I said to Steve "you decide"...he said he really wanted to see the two blonde boys (I hate to describe their looks but just helping followers keep track of who was who)... So my facilitator grabbed their profile and approached the NAC employee who right away I could tell had a very unfavorable response. It ends up these two boys are in a private orphanage, a religious orphanage, described as "a cult", that 3-4 couples have gone there to see them and that they have beat their heads and hands against the floor, table, wall etc... I was impressed the NAC is trying to intervene to get the boys out-but the boys were not an option on their end for us to go see...

The other little boy, who had a brother and whose sister was "not accounted for" was then pulled and they went to make the necessary calls for us. It ends up this little boy is not even in the data base. Who knows what that really meant, they shrugged and said "he is probably adopted, his paper was not pulled"...

I was relieved ONLY in that my path was very very clear to me due to these circumstances...there was no cross road anymore, these situations left us no choice but to wait for my boys...who I knew were mine the second they mentioned them (the boys coming off the 19th).

I asked if I could see their profile, and my facilitators assistant almost laughed out loud at the thought, for that I was even told about them is so out of the ordinary. all of a sudden the employee came over with a folder and showed it to my facilitator...his assist looked at me and shrugged "I can't beleive they are showing it to him"...next thing I know it is in my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I barely got a glimse, it was all quick quick, hush hush...
I had looked at no less than 300 children's pictures and this picture I saw so quickly tugged at my heart like little in life could. I grabbed the folder and clutched it to my chest and just started crying (though I wasn't supposed to bring any attention to the scenerio at all)...I flipped the page and the younger brother had the chubbiest cheeks and was making a little face :)...
The boys are 3 turning 4 in March
and the older one just turned 6 on the 5th of December
They are in a region that is only 2 1/2 hours away.

Their file had some info but in summary all that was shared with me NOW (until the the 19th) is that they are "happy and active"...and the NAC had called the orphanage before I arrived and they told my facilitator "these are "good" boys"...

As we left Steve claims he barely saw the pictures...honestly neither did I... and he shared he was so sad about the other two boys, I am heart broken for them and for Steve as well as he was really thinking about these boys.

Anywho...sorry so long...this is my first time actually writting it all down and rehashing the day like this...I have the most TREMENDOUS feeling about these boys, while going thru a hell of sorts in knowing nothing nothing nothing about them!!!!!

As I was leaving...crying with emotions I asked my facilitator "can I just look at them one more time????", I already remember nothing except that I was overcome with emotions and love for this picture that was presented in 5 seconds...
My facilitators assistant (who is also translator) said "not possible...you don't realize how lucky we are that we were even told about these boys let alone to see their profile and know where they are etc..."....

So when I say our eggs are in one basket on this one I am not exagerating...if this referal does not turn out for some reason and with the holidays etc... I think it is safe to say we will come home without a completed adoption. However I have the greatest feeling about this. They are feelings like I have never felt in that they are kind of locked away somewhere in me afraid to get to emotional right now, I suspect a protective meganism of sorts. I now realize I have seen these same emotions in others during the process and didn't really understand them until now. It is kind of like I see a present at the end of what should be a road but the road is gone until the 19th when it will be laid down to cross...

Some good news in this, is that the 19th ("9 days away") seemed so long and far out...however it falls on a Sunday...thus allowing us to have our appointment at the NAC and get the referral on Friday the 17th!!!!!!!!!!! This leaves almost little chance of coming home on or by the 31st...and if not keep in mind all business is closed from Jan 1st -Jan 10th here in Ukraine.... so we have a long long long wait, but we all know it is worth it!!!!

My faciltitor reiterated what I heard only once that Ukraine tradition is "you can not say "no" to a pregnant women"...and I suspect that is why the NAC worked so hard for me regarding these boys....and I hope that might help me region as well :)

Last night I spoke with my hired US support, Tonya, who I have described as my Guardian angel...though my faciltitaotion team has never been to this region where the boys are she has done three adoptions from there and said it is "wonderful"...a good region...children are well taken care of...and she knows a big wig in the adoption world of the region there...so that was music to my ears...
Melanie- I saw your post and we will put the map back up, once I get Steve to do it!!!!

On a slightly different note...I ventured out while the boys slept to the demonstration area...it is called "tent city" at this point, filled wall to wall with tents and thousands of people keeping warm and camping out with signs and flags and banners...IT WAS AMAZING...and I will share more of that in our blog...it is an honor to be here during this historical time in Ukraine history...it resembled a political Wood Stock!!!! - life changing experience in itself!!!!

love you gals so much...

Hugs,
Neve

candybomiller
12-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Neve,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for updating us!! I've been thinking about you soooo much! I'm so excited for you. Sounds like you've found you little boys.

I honestly feel like I'm on this journey with you and experiencing all the ups and downs. Thank you for letting us be a part of your journey.

(((((HUGS))))) to you, Steve and T-meister.

sbjf
12-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh Never, I am so excited for you all! Your update brought tears to my eyes. What an adventure this is, wow. So the 17th is is, and that is not THAT far away!!! Thanks for sharing, I've been waiting!!! HUGS!!!

JElaineB
12-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh Neve, what a story! I hope the time until the 17th flies by and that you get to hug your children soon after that! I do feel sorry that the "blonde boys" Steve wanted to see were not available AFTER they showed you their pictures?! That doesn't seem fair. I am hoping that your mommy's intuition is right on target and your little boys will be with you in a very short time!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

StaceyKim
12-11-2004, 10:32 AM
thanks for the update! good luck & we are thinking of you!

houseof3boys
12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm so glad you took the time to post what was going on Neve. I have been thinking about you and Steve a lot and wishing you well on this arduous journey.

I look forward to more details when they come and am just a bundle of emotions for you when I read what you guys are doing and going through over there.

Big hugs to both of you. :)

Roleysmom
12-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Neve, thank you so much for sharing your story. My heart is bursting for you!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

amp
12-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Neve,

Thank you so much for updating us here. I have been checking your blog incessantly and updating John each day "No news from Neve" I say sadly everytime there was no news. I was choking up at your report on these children and your experience. I will be praying for the news on the 19th to be good and for all your dreams to come true. I can't wait to hear news of your family and your boys. Hugs to you and Steve and Tristan. You are all amazing! Good luck mama!

Vajrastorm
12-11-2004, 10:50 AM
for you guys.

Thanks for the update, we're all thinking about you and this journey.

jd11365
12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Wow Neve! Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us updated, and allow us to "see" your adoption story. This is going to work out...you have soooo many of us behind you with the best thoughts. Remember, everything works out for a reason. I'm just too excited for you, I could hardly remember to exhale when I read your post. Much love to you and the family...ALL of them!

...And you should cut and paste this into your blog when the time allows so you can have it to remember...lots of special feelings and memories here...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

McQ
12-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Oh Neve! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your wonderful story. I got goosebumps reading about the glimpse of your boys. I wanted to read so quickly as I wanted to know what happened but at the same time I was reading so slowly so it could all sink in and I wouldn't miss anything. I can't imagine the feelings you and Steve are experiencing.

Sit tight until the 17th. Impossibe I know. But it's the 11th already here and you're so far ahead of us it's practically the 12th so that's really 5 days which isn't long at all.

Hugs to you all
Allison

tarahsolazy
12-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Oh, I hope this works out for you, I'm praying every day.

MommytoDylan
12-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Neve,

What wonderful news! Can't wait to hear more!

Meredith

momathome
12-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Neve, sweetie, I am so glad you took the time to check in with us! I will cross my fingers for you that these are the boys you have been waiting for and that the referral goes through as scheduled. Take care of yourself during this physically and emotionally stressful time (after all, like you said, no one should say no to a pregnant lady!) and hopefully you will be home soon with Tristan's big brothers. Hugs to you, girlfriend!

marinkitty
12-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Wow, Neve! What an emotional day. You guys will be in our prayers this next week as you wait for your boys. I hope it all works out for you!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

bluej
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh Neve, I went through a little roller coaster of emotions reading your post! I can only imagine what it must be like for you and Steve! Hugs to you and your family as you wait to be united.

redhookmom
12-11-2004, 11:47 AM
I am looking forward to the 17th now more so then Christmas!

jamsmu
12-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Neve,

What a rollercoaster for you all! I am so impressed with your persistence. Hope you can enjoy the next 8 days. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the update--I find all of this so fascinating.

billysmommy
12-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Neve,
I have been checking your blog constantly looking for updates. Thanks so much for posting and letting us know how it's going. It seems like you are meant to have these boys. I hope these next few days go by fast and can't wait to hear about and see pictures of your boys. We're thinking of you Steve and Tristan :)

ismommy
12-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Neve,

How exciting! I hope the days pass quickly until you meet your boys.
all our love
Helene, Rob, Bella and Baby x
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

wagner36
12-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi Neve! Thanks for updating us - we've all been wondering how you're doing!

I bet things are even crazier there now with the news that Yushchenko was poisoned - hopefully it won't cause too much more unrest there for you - keep safe!

I am so happy to hear about your boys - it brought tears to my eyes to read about when you saw the pictures!

Good luck - stay safe - and keep us updated! I hope you find some ice soon, too!

xoxoxoxo

Puddy73
12-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Oh Neve, thank you for the update of your own amazing race! I am praying for you and your whole family.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

aliceinwonderland
12-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Ah, Neve, i had to catch my breath after reading your post, the suspense!!!
I think of you guys and your children you're about to meet everyday and really really hope everything goes thry smoothly!!

Tell Tristan Erik says he's jealaus you're in Europe. Erik wants to go back soon!!

hjdong
12-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Like others, I've been following your blog, remembering that you said you might not update much until you were sure about the referral, but I'm so glad you shared here.

I can't wait for the happy ending!

calebsmama03
12-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh Neve! What an emotional rollercoaster this has been for you! I will be thinking of you and YOUR BOYS as the 19th approaches!
Hugs
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

deborah_r
12-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Wow, Neve, what an amazing journey you and your family are on! I wish I could make those days until the 17th speed by for you! I will keep on visualizing you returning safely home soon with your *whole* family!!!

NancyJ_redo
12-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Oh Neve - thank you so much for the update. I will keep you all in my thoughts and hope and hope and hope that the 19th is here quickly and that it all works out just as you and Steve want. Please keep us updated, we'll all be thinking about you!!

JLiebCamm
12-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Wow- I can't believe how complicated it all is! I hope everything falls into place for you. Take care of yourself! I know you're a strong person but this seems exceptionally stressful.

barbarhow
12-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Neve-You have me in tears. I can't wait to hear more about your boys. My heart is with all of you. I am so glad that you have the strength to know what you want and to have such clarity. YOu are amazing.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

rrosen
12-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Neve,
I believe that you are someone who's "gut" serves them well. For that reason, I feel that you will be bringing these boys home with you and that they are indeed your sons. I am reading your blog each time you post and hope for great happiness for you in this upcoming year.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Stay well!

Kieransmom
12-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Neve, your amazing story brought me to tears. I pray that these boys will be yours. Something tells me they will. Sounds like someone up there in the sky is helping you out...they know these boys will be going to an angel on earth. You really are.

Best of luck. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Michelle

Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03
Aunt to Alexandra Juliet, born 12/4/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

mommd
12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you are able to get the referal you are wanting. Glad to hear things are going smoothly so far.

sunny2003
12-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much for the update - and what a nice tradition to not say no to a pregnant lady! Take care and good luck with your wait - we are all thinking of you!

Viv
Mommy to Kayley born on 4/28/03

murpheyblue
12-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the update. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Dcclerk
12-11-2004, 07:06 PM
What an incredible story you have, Neve. Thank you so much for the detailed post. It really feels like we are just about there. I'm sending big prayers for you and your boys!

Tondi G
12-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Neve

I've been thinking of you since you left. Prayers and thoughts are with you that these are indeed YOUR boys and you will return a family of 5!!!! Good Luck Mama!

HUGS
~Tondi

ErinMC
12-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Neve - wow! Thanks so much for the update. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers - it sounds like the "19th boys" are meant to be yours!

Such an amazing time for you . . .

lrucci
12-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Neve,

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to update us. Your story is so touching, I can only imagine how it feels to be actually living it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and "your boys".

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

zuzu
12-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post! We've all been thinking about you.
How exciting--and I hope you see your boys soon!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

mamaturk
12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Best of luck, Neve!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the update!!!

pritchettzoo
12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Thank you for taking the time to congratulate me--that is so incredibly sweet!

I wish you the best of luck as you continue. We can't wait for more updates. Stay safe and warm.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

chrissyhowie
12-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us. My thoughts are with you and your ENTIRE family -- present and future :)!!

dr mom
12-11-2004, 11:40 PM
What an amazing story so far! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Hopefully you have found "your" boys and they'll be in your arms, where they belong, before you know it.

jk3
12-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Neve,

Wishing you all of the best in the next week. We're thinking of you and your family.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

mharling
12-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow, what an amazing story! I can't imagine what it's like to be living this as I get emotional just reading about it.

I'll pray that the days until the 17th pass quickly for you!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

jasabo
12-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Wow! What an amazing journey you all are on! I can't even imagine all the feelings you're having right now. It really does seem - with your feelings of being at peace with the situation and the other kids being ruled out for various reasons and being pregnant and receiving "special" treatment (which wouldn't have happened if you'd traveled before you were showing, etc.) - that this is all happening according to some sort of plan...hope that's not too metaphysical for ya :) but I do get goosebumps thinking about it all...how exciting!

Lisa - mom to 17 month old twin boys

jubilee
12-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Neve, I've been praying that when you were at the NAC you would feel an incredible peace and clarity- and I'm SO thrilled that you have that! Your recount has been so positive and upbeat! What an awesome thing that they told you about these "19th" boys, let you see pics, and the bio. Absolutely wonderful! (And I won't breathe a word about this- I only read, never post to other adoption forums. This is too precious.) I am blessed you have shared this joy with the boards, and can't wait to read your update for the 17th!!!! :)

Jeanne
12-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Fingers crossed for you Neve!

tippy
12-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Neve,

Your post brought tears to my eyes and my hands are shaking while trying to type my response. Wow, what an incredible experience that must have been. I will pray that whatever is supposed to be for you and your "children" will come to pass and that you leave the Ukraine with a happy heart. All the best to you, Steve and Tristan.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

Melanie
12-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Neve, thank you so much for this update! I didn't think to look here...and was blog-watching. Don't worry...I won't say a thing.

This is definitely fate...I hope you can try to have a "relaxing" sight-seeing week until Friday. Did they give you an appt. already? Do 2nd appts. get earlier precedence over the previously-scheduled 1st appts? Just curious...if you don't know, you don't know!

What is the talk about Yuschenko (sp?) and his poisoning, there? The poor man looks just terrible.

--Melanie

PS - thanks about the map...that way when you venture off we can follow! It was a nice one.

Melanie
12-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Neve, thank you so much for this update! I didn't think to look here...and was blog-watching. Don't worry...I won't say a thing.

This is definitely fate...I hope you can try to have a "relaxing" sight-seeing week until Friday. Did they give you an appt. already? Do 2nd appts. get earlier precedence over the previously-scheduled 1st appts? Just curious...if you don't know, you don't know!

What is the talk about Yuschenko (sp?) and his poisoning, there? The poor man looks just terrible.

--Melanie

PS - thanks about the map...that way when you venture off we can follow! It was a nice one.

mamahill
12-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Wow - what a story! I hope all continues to go well and that they give the pregnant lady waht she wants! Best wishes for your little blondies on the 17th!

mamahill
12-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Wow - what a story! I hope all continues to go well and that they give the pregnant lady waht she wants! Best wishes for your little blondies on the 17th!

sugarsnappea
12-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Neve,
Wow! What an incredible journey you have been on. Thanks for the news. I keep checking the boards to see your updates! :)

steph2003
12-13-2004, 10:22 AM
What an incredible/fascinating journey you are on! I truly believe your boys are out there waiting for you.....

lisaE
12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Neve, That is amazing. I have been thinking about you and your family. Hopefully it will be an even bigger family before too long! Thanks for the update.