PDA

View Full Version : Cautiously Celebrating CIO Success!

AvasMama
12-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Or at a minimum, one VERY good night! Thanks to all of you who offered advice -- it helped so much to know others had been there and had success.

Last night (night 5), I put Ava to bed at 8. I decided to try a slightly later bedtime because she seemed to be treating her 7 pm bedtime as more of a nap. Sshe would sleep a couple of hours and then get up and want to play around 10 -- and scream for hours if we put her back in her crib.

So at 8, I put her down and she cried for literally three seconds. She then sat quietly in her crib and fell asleep on her own around 9. She woke up around 10 and I sent DH in to give her her pacifier and soothe her a little. She went back to sleep in about 5 min and slept until 1. I nursed her, put her back in her crib and she slept until 8!! A huge improvement over waking every 3 hours to eat and screaming for hours when put back in the crib :)

This morning she started acting tired around 9:30, so I put her in her crib. She didn't even try to sit up, fell asleep in about 2 min., and slept for an hour.

So, fingers crossed, I think it might have worked! I think the combination of excellent naps yesterday and a slightly later bedtime really helped.

FWIW, to any other moms going through this, I highly recommend a video monitor. It has been worth every penny as it has allowed me to better understand how Ava is putting herself to sleep, and of course, to know she's OK without risking waking her up by checking on her. DH and I were going crazy the first few nights before we got this.

Robyn & Ava

KrisM
12-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Yea! I'm glad you've had some success. That's great.

We're only doing CIO a little and it's going well. The past 2 nights, he's gone to bed at 6:30, woke up to eat at 10:30, woke up to eat at 3:15, and woke for the day at 6:45. We're pretty happy with that, right now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for tonight!

mudder17
12-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Yay Ava! :) I agree with you about the video monitor. It has been invaluable for us and really great for baby sitters. We got it about a week before we started sleep training because I knew I couldn't sit outside her door with her crying and not go in every once in a while to check on her. Of course, that would ruin everything, in particular because her door makes a heck of a racket when you open it. :)

I'm glad it seems to be going well right now. I will say (and I'm sure babies will vary) that you may have some bad nights up ahead (our backsliding occurred around day 7 or 8) where it looks like she's making backwards progress, but if you continue to be consistent and make sure she gets good rest during the day, it will all work out!

Happy Sleeping! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

tarahsolazy
12-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Congrats! I'm glad you are all getting some sleep! Sounds like she's figured it out.

lrucci
12-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Great news! It sounds like Ava is getting the hang of it. Congrats to you and your dh for sticking it out, I know how hard it is.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03