PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favorite vacation spot?

Corie
12-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Maybe it is someplace that you went as a child or somewhere that you & your spouse discovered.

For myself, I would have to say Hilton Head Island for one. My parents took us there a couple of times when we were younger. I remember going to hear Greg Russell sing.

Also, my husband and I love Disney World. This is actually where we got married!! Lots of fun!!!

I would love to hear your favorite vacation spots!!

Sincerely,
Corie

aliceinwonderland
12-11-2004, 04:52 PM
We like to go to different places but, within the US, we LOVE Martha's Vineyard. We go there everyear, sometimes twice a year(this was the first summer we didn't go, and I was so upset)... We also rented a huge Victorian house there overlooking the ocean, and we got married right there on a little hill. Definately the best day of my life...Can't wait to take Erik.

Last year I had just found out I was pregnant when we went...

murpheyblue
12-11-2004, 05:27 PM
As a kid I spent my summers on the Jersey Shore (LBI). Since moving to California I don't get to go back that much. My dad moved to the Hamptons a few years ago so that's probably our current fave.

Elilly
12-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I haven't been for a while but Destin, FL is my favorite.

jbowman
12-12-2004, 10:13 PM
My favorite place in the world is Rome, Italy. I love going there to visit (although I'd prefer to live there). It is simply the prettiest, loudest, most magical place.

In the US, DH and I love Washington, DC (it's where we got engaged)!

We also loved Bucharest, Romania, but we've only been there once (and I'm not sure I'd recommend that for a quick getaway, LOL!).

jubilee
12-13-2004, 03:52 AM
On our honeymoon, my husband and I went on an amazing cruise through the Caribbean. Ahhhh- it was BLISS! Our favorite spot was on a private beach in the Bahamas. We snorkled through an area with an old airplane wreck that had the most beautiful fish. If I could go back to that one day in time, I would.

aliceinwonderland
12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
My mother was born in Bucharest. I've always wanted to visit...

And, we went to Rome last summer with our little bitty 3 month old...Yes, he was nursed in the Sistine chapel(hey, they wanted quiet!) ;)

jbowman
12-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Eri,

We LOVED Bucharest and are dying to go back! DH was on his way home from Moldova (BIL was in the Peace Corps there) almost five years ago and we met in Bucharest (I was living in Rome at the time). I didn't know what to expect, but we found the city to be beautiful and fascinating. We stayed in a wonderful hotel, ate at a great restaurant, and had the best pastries! I love the language too!

And LOL about nursing in the Sistine Chapel! You do have to keep quiet (the "shhhhsers" are always there in full force), so that's a very good solution! I am taking a group of undergrads there this summer. It will be hard to keep them quiet!

steph2003
12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Our favorite place to go back to summer after summer is the Outerbanks of NC. Corolla specifically although Duck is really nice too. They are both in the northern part of the Outerbanks. So peaceful & laid back there. I love the lazy days & early morning/evening beach walks.

bluej
12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
For relaxing vacations we like the Tuscany region of Italy. Do a little shopping, some lounging at the beaches, check out some sights and a lot of great eating!

aliceinwonderland
12-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I think it's funny you can talk all the LONG way through, but when you get there, shhhhhhhh!!!

I was surprised going thru Europe with a tiny babe: you know in Italy you hardly see any babies, so these middle aged or older ladies (dying to be grandmas, I'm sure), would stop us in the street, "Ma che bello!! :) Erik of course loved it, he's such a little flirt. Lugging that pram thru the *narrow* train doors was interesting, though (yes, I HAD to have my huge pram, LOL!)

I'm trying to find a summer job for this coming summer, and my IDEAL (though not likely)job would involve Erik and I in Europe for a couple of months...I told DH as long as my expenses were paid, I was gone! I'm talking to my friends there, we'll see. I can dream...I get depressed here sometimes...

babymama
12-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Another vote for the Outer Banks. DH and I got engaged there.

I also really like Playa Del Carmen, Mexico - but I've only been there once. The beaches are gorgeous.

Santa Fe is nice this time of year. I love the smell of pin~on wood burning throughout the city. great restaurants, too!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

psophia17
12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE DisneyWorld - it was the best trip I've ever been on, but it was also a girl's only long (5-day) weekend where my best friend and I, both of whom were engaged, went together. I don't figure I'll be back for a long time, though, DH hates rides :(

DH and I love going to Seattle and just walking. If we hadn't lived in NYC, that also would've been a favorite place. Go somewhere with things to see, walk, and eat...heaven :)

jpang
12-13-2004, 12:16 PM
What an interesting question!

My favorite vacation spot, though it's far to go now, is the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. DH and I went there three years ago, and then again a year later. We stayed in Cairns, a local beach town/toursit spot, and had a magnificent time. Lodging was very reasonable, and the corals and fish-- wow. It's also a pretty family friendly place-- too bad it's so far away. I can't wait to bring DD there when she's old enough.

Stateside, my favorite vacation spot is Yosemite National Park. We visit there with our best friends every other year in early summer (before the kids are out of school). Amazing waterfalls. We hike all day and then sit around and talk late into the night. A lovely place.

marinkitty
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
It is hard for me to pick one place. If it is just DH and I, I'd say Napa Valley b/c that is where we got married and it will always be a magical place for us. But it would not be a place I'd go with kids. We went to Portugal this summer for two weeks with Mia and rented a house on the beach about an hour and a half south of Lisbon and loved it - I think we'll be doing that most years and have even talked of getting a place there that would be a rental property but we could use a week or so a year, so I guess that would be our fave now.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

tina-t
12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Big Island, Hawaii would be my fav. I've only been there once but loved the people, climate, and the food. The beaches are fabulous, and of course, the volcano is amazing. Would love to bring ds there next time but dh thinks he won't/can't handle the long plane trip.

tinkerbell1217
12-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Well, for a vacation with the kids, definitely Disney. We also went there on our honeymoon. Its fun as adults too, ALONE! But IF I could get DH to go, I would love to visit Jamaica again. I went with my 8th grade class when I was 13. It was our class trip. I LOVED it!!! I would love to go back, but DH isn't interested. He wants to visit his aunt and uncle in New York one December and visit Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty, all the touristy things. Maybe in a couple of years!

DDowning
12-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Well, DH proposed to me on Nantucket Island so I think that will always hold a special place in my heart. On the Pacific Ocean side of the country, Maui wins hands down. Locally we love taking C to treasure cove next to the Montage in Laguna Beach and playing in the waves.

shishamo
12-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Kauai, Hawaii. Ooooooh, I would love to go back!

gisele
12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
The Big Island of Hawaii is also our favorite. So much to do on one island!

jayali
12-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Hmmm, it is so hard to pick one.

I would say for a summer vacation it would be Chatham Mass. We have been going every year since we got married, except for this past year. We stay at the Chatham Bars Inn which is right on the water. I can't wait to bring Matty there.

For fall and winter we like Manchester Vermont. It is a short drive and centrally located. We were there for Thanksgiving and Matty had a great time.

I must say that Bermuda will also always be a favorite of ours, but I would want to keep that as a special place for DH and me. It didn't seem kid friendly when we were there, or maybe we weren't. I can't remember!

jbowman
12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Eri--

Everyone rushes through to get to the Sistine Chapel. I always want to say, "there are some extraordinary things along the way!"

I think that would be great if you can spend some time in Europe this summer! I am hoping that I get a research grant and can stay in Italy for part of the summer (after my class ends)!

lisaE
12-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Hands down, Grand Cayman. It's beautiful, not too crowded, and the shopping is great.

Second pick, Maui. Not too touristy, like Oahu. It's beautiful.