PDA

View Full Version : Having to take my cat to the shelter tomorrow... just need a shoulder... (really long, sad-- sorry)

quikeye
12-12-2004, 03:59 AM
::sigh:: I hate to be a downer, but I just really needed a shoulder to cry on for a moment... before bed & before I have to get up tomorrow and take my cat to the animal shelter.

(Kinda emotional, and sad about loss of a pet-- just a warning).

She scratched Kai tonite. Hissing and batting, she got him one good one across the forehead, with blood, and smaller scratches on his cheek and lip. My heart's breaking just remembering it, and I'm still in a minor panic about infection and getting a scar... (he's sleeping soundly and well; brave boy cried only a little and more when I used peroxide & then slathered him in antibiotic ointment and put one of those big sized/patchish bandaids on... the scratch is like, 2-3"). God I feel awful.

Rewind to about 3 weeks ago, when she hissed at him when he was crawling in a different room, not anywhere near her. Her behavior became quickly worse, escalating to growling and hissing when she saw K. Then I would say "NO!" etc and she started getting pi$$ed at me, and so she hissed and screamed when she saw me. It got so bad I was literally trapped in my bedroom w/ K for 3 days while DH was at work-- she would sit outside the door and scream if I opened it. Screamed so loud she defacted and sprayed as she hissed-- like she was so mad she lost bowel control.

Advice was to bring ehr into a vet, but I couldn't even come within 6 feet of her. Animal control said they'd come pick her up, and she'd be "put down". She'd let dh pass, but not touch her (while she started stalking me and cornering me in the house/bathroom/dead end rooms). We basically boiled down to she was jealous of my son and angry, and angry with me for being an extension of him.

She got "less angry" and would only low growl on occassion when seeing me or K. I'd been locking her in the second room-- she would get into bed w/ K & me (co-sleep) and when K would wake up and crawl on me, she'd dtsrt hissing as she was in our bed. So I'd put her in the bedroom b/c I was afraid to have her near K... she could be out when dh was home, since he was pretty much ignored by her (while she was still cornering me on occassion and hissing).

We went on a little vacation for 4 days, and she was fine when we returned... The past few days since our return, she had a few growls (which is still WAY out of the ordinary, but not scary to me and she was only doing it to Kai-- I was able to pick her up & move her or him away)... but nothing like before with the howling. Tonite K was crawling/pulling up on everything like usual, and he pulled on the back of the couch (low couch) where the cat was sitting. Hissed/screamed, and hit him. Jesus, if it were only and inch lower, it would ahve been his eye.

Dh is so mad... I've neevr seen him this angry. He was going to toss her outside tonite-- I just can't. And I think he's silently angry w/ me since I wouldn't let him do it NOW-- He couldn't get her into the carrier so it's kinda moot. I totally understand and get it-- and I can't live like this (in fear of my cat, hurting me or my son) b/c of her jealousy. But it's just heartbreaking for my cat too...

She's going to be euthanized. With her age (6-7, not a kitten) and now this jealousy against kids, she won't be adopted. There aren't any no-kill shelters here. And putting her on the street is a worse death sentence, she's always been an indoor cat, and she'd either starve or be mangled by some car. This is my little baby, who I found at a truck stop and she fit into the palm of my hand and we drove 150 miles home and she was SO covered in fleas I had to wash her twice and handpick off so many more w. tweezers... I thought she wasn't going to wake up since we had to wash her so much. She sat on my chest while I cried all nite years ago with a broken heart (in college, before I met dh), purring and licking my nose. She did all she could to curl up and sleep on my huge preggo belly while I sat in front of the computer, just like before when I wasn't so huge. And she's sitting here @ my feet, angling to jump in my lap and go to sleep.

But she hurt him so bad, and she will again. She hates my son, and he loves her (he laughs when he sees her...) He hasn't hurt her, and she's stalked him as he's sat unmindful of her. ::sigh:: She'll hurt him again; part of my irrational hurt is that she hates him-- that she should love him as mine (she was hands off since he was born, just took this "interest" 3-4 weeks ago. Before she'd ignore him, didn't care.)

I just, I don't know but at least I feel a little better, a little eulogy I guess. Catharsis, but I don't want to wake up tomorrow. :( Sorry guys... but thanks for listening.

barbarhow
12-12-2004, 07:46 AM
I am so sorry. Your post has me in tears. My first instinct is that she is sick and in pain. I guess I would do anything I could to get her evaluated by a vet. Once last chance? I know that your husband sounds like he's at the end of it.
Kitties are so emotional. I lost mine to leukemia 5 years ago. I still miss him so much. He was much the same way you describe yours-always there to comfort me. It was a heartbreaking loss.
If the only option now is to take her to the shelter than please know that you have to protect your baby first. I am certain that your little Kai will be fine. You did exactly the right thing with the peroxide and abx ointment. It is likely that it won't scar.
Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you today and sending lots of hugs.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

toomanystrollers
12-12-2004, 07:48 AM
I'm sorry for your decision. Any chance you could delay by a day or two and get your cat to the vet? She could be in some serious pain which is causing the aggressive behavior. We had this happen with our cat at work. He had a painful bladder infection and after a week of meds, he was back to his lovey self.

HTH

JMS
12-12-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm crying reading your post. I also love my cat so much, but I love my daughter an incredible amount more... in the same situation, I would reluctantly make the same decision. The jealousy will probably only get worse (I don't have enough cat/medical knowledge to suggest, as PPs have that it could be a medical problem) and Kai was actually very lucky not to have been more seriously hurt.

Good Luck (feels like a strange thing to say, but I can't come up with something better).. it's hard, but you just have to remind yourself that you are doing what's best for your son.
J.

Laurelsmom2002
12-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Ok I gotta put in a plea for a vet apt first too, When we got our 2nd cat cat #1 got very upset and started spraying and we put him on Buspar 2.5 mg 2x a day and he could deal w/ the stress much better. We were able to wean him from it at about a year, and he still can be a PIA, he's not agressive to people, or spraying anymore. Second question may be alittle controversial, but can he be outside during the day/night part of the time and just come in to eat. I know alot of people don't like cats that roam free, but it also made cat #1 much happier when he could get away for a little.
HTH

TraciG
12-12-2004, 08:56 AM
I feel so bad for u & I too had tears reading your posts since I LOVE animals so much, just know i'm thinking of u, it seems u really have no choice. :(

I never knew a cat would act that way, we recently got a kitten who was 3 months, now 4 months, it's scary to read your post, my cat has her claws too but right now she's afraid of Sydney so we're ok.

Anyway I feel sad for u so hard to lose a pet but your baby is more important !!!!!!!!!!!

Tondi G
12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I second the plea for a vet visit. I honestly think an indoor/outdoor cat situation might not be so bad.... I know a lot of people on this board think differently! You obviously love your kitty cat and it is not a good sitation to have the cat inside during the day with you and the kiddo but maybe out during the day and inside at night to be safe and warm.

My neighbors cat scratched my DS when he was little.... they also had a son then and now have another baby. She is tollerant but will swipe when annoyed..... they didn't put her down.... she became an indoor/outdoor cat (with a kitty door) so she would have a way to get away and it helped tremendously.

Good luck and HUGE HUGS to you whatever you deccide!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05
and 4 fur babies (2 dogs, 2 cats)

mudder17
12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Hugs!!! I'm so sorry!!!! Your post has me in tears as I love my kitties too and lost 4 of them (plus MIL and grandfather IL) in a 2 year period. In your situation, I would probably bring her to the vet first to be evaluated, and if there was nothing physically wrong with her, I would also bring her to a cat psychologist--yes, I know that sounds new agey, but I would at least try. I've had friends who have actually had success with such things.

After the medical evals, PP's suggestions of having a part indoor/outdoor cat actually sounds like a good one depending on where you live. Around where I live, we actually have 3 part indoor/outdoor cats and while I woudn't let my own cats do it, they seem to do just fine.

That said, if the kitty got to the point of hurting Kaya, I think I would feel as you do. My kitties are my babies, but Kaya is more important.

Anyway, hugs to you whatever decision you end up making. I'm only sorry you have to make such a difficult decision.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

tarahsolazy
12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
We made a similar decision about our dog recently, we were no longer the best family for her. It was very hard, and I am still a little guilty about it. Rightly so, too. But, we found a rescue organization and were able to help pick out her new family. We still hear from them, which is nice. Are there any cat rescue organizations in your area? If not, I think I'd do the same that you plan to. Big hugs and I hope Kai heals up well.

chlobo
12-12-2004, 02:07 PM
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

I'm so sorry about your cat. I know this is one thing that concerned us about our cats.

dr mom
12-12-2004, 03:00 PM
What a painful position to be in, having to choose between a beloved pet and doing the best thing for Kai. It must have been so frightening for you when Kai was scratched, but you did exactly the right thing cleaning out the wound and I'm sure it will heal up fine. It's just horrible that your baby got hurt. :(

I think PP's offered some good advice about having a medical evaluation done to be sure that your kitty isn't sick or in pain. Sometimes medication can make a world of difference - our dog developed significant separation anxiety when DS was born, which has manifested not in aggression but in fearfulness and peeing in the house. Not as serious a problem as the aggression you are dealing with, but frustrating nonetheless! We have been working closely with our vet and a trainer, and by putting her on anti-anxiety medication (Clomicalm and occasionally Xanax) and being sensitive to her needs, we have been able to minimize the problem. Perhaps a vet or a kitty psychologist will have suggestions that may be helpful.

Sorry you are going through this.

pritchettzoo
12-12-2004, 03:08 PM
We recently had to put one of our dogs to sleep due to agression issues, but I would never have done it without taking her to the vet to make sure there were no other options. Our vet believed that the only medical reasons for her behavior were pituitary or brain cancer, both of which would lead to the same decision.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision. I've seen many cats with a "NO CHILDREN" or "NO DOGS" signs on their carriers/cages in adoption centers, so maybe euthanasia isn't the only option at the shelter?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

tippy
12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Aija,

My heart is breaking for you. I have two cats. One is very tolerant of ds and will let him pet her, play with her tail etc...On the occasion that he tried to do so when she is sleeping or just not in the mood she will swipe (claws in) and meow at him. He usually runs to me and cries ppppeeeep, ppppeeeep (her name is peepers). She has never hurt him though. My other cat is another story. Thankfully they both keep their distance from each other. DS learned the hard way. When Bandit was sleeping in his closet ds stuck his hand inside. He came running inside crying and I thought it was just because Bandit had scared him but when I gave him a bath later that night I saw a nasty scratch on his hand. I have to say that if it had happened again I would consider what you have decided.

I got chills reading your description of your cat’s behavior (the hissing and defecating, cornering you etc...). That must have been terrifying for you. I understand that you are having mixed emotions and if it is feasible for you to get him to the vet before euthanizing him then go ahead. If on the other hand dh is giving you a hard time about it, you financially can't swing it or you are just too afraid of ds getting hurt in the meantime than you do what you have to do. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Please check in with us and let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

tippy
12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Aija,

My heart is breaking for you. I have two cats. One is very tolerant of ds and will let him pet her, play with her tail etc...On the occasion that he tried to do so when she is sleeping or just not in the mood she will swipe (claws in) and meow at him. He usually runs to me and cries ppppeeeep, ppppeeeep (her name is peepers). She has never hurt him though. My other cat is another story. Thankfully they both keep their distance from each other. DS learned the hard way. When Bandit was sleeping in his closet ds stuck his hand inside. He came running inside crying and I thought it was just because Bandit had scared him but when I gave him a bath later that night I saw a nasty scratch on his hand. I have to say that if it had happened again I would consider what you have decided.

I got chills reading your description of your cat’s behavior (the hissing and defecating, cornering you etc...). That must have been terrifying for you. I understand that you are having mixed emotions and if it is feasible for you to get him to the vet before euthanizing him then go ahead. If on the other hand dh is giving you a hard time about it, you financially can't swing it or you are just too afraid of ds getting hurt in the meantime than you do what you have to do. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Please check in with us and let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

Kieransmom
12-13-2004, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I agree. I think she really should be checked out by a vet before any decision is made. Before DS was born I volunteered and ran a shelter and worked as their animal behaviorist in my free time. This behavior is not just jealousy. It sounds like somethings wrong. She may be in pain or have a tumor or something.
I sent you an email.

KBecks
12-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Hugs to you, Kai and your kitty.

I'm so sorry that you are going through these stressful times and having to choose between your babies.

amp
12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I just read your post and it broke my heart. I have 2 cats. We lost one of them last year to some unknown illness and I still ache over it. I just wanted to check and see how you are doing, since I saw that this post was from yesterday and you are probably having a very hard time right now if today is the day. Hugs!

steph2003
12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Hope you are doing ok - I know stuff like this is hard with your "fur babies"

candybomiller
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm crying for you. Believe it or not, I know what you're going through. We had to give our shih tzu away because he hated Matt. It was so, so hard. Luckily we found a home with an older couple who had recently lost their pom. They love Rufus. I know he has a good home. But it still hurts.

Sorry, I forgot for a moment that this isn't about me.

I just wanted to let you know how sad I am for your situation. I hope that you are able to come to peace with your decision. (((((BIG HUGS))))) to you.

tina-t
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry that you have to go through this. (((hugs)))

ribbit1019
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
I wish there was something else you could do, really. PP mentioned medication for stress a friend had her cat on that and it helped soooo much they didn't have to get rid of the cat. I can't imagine that something would have changed that drastically that she would just start acting like that, especially after Kai has been around for at least 6 months before that.

But if that is what you have chosen to do, and I understand, I am so sorry for your loss. It is a hard thing to lose a pet that you hold very near and dear. I constantly worry that Zoe my Tabby will start acting up she is so jealous of Maddy. Big Hugs...

Christy

Mooma to Maddy 06/09/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/2/13/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/superpower.gif http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img}

http://www.tickercentral.com/