PDA

View Full Version : Gag gift exchange ideas

jamsmu
12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Yet another gift exchange for me... oy vey. Seems that members of my family were worried they'd be bored on xmas eve if we skip the extravagent exchanges of the past, so it was just announced that we're doing a $15 or less gag exchange. They're calling it a "Chinese Pollyana" (I DON'T mean to offend anyone, that's what I'm told its called. DH and I had to have it explained to us.) Basically, everyone brings a gag gift and puts it in a pile. The "winner" of another game or something gets to draw a gift first. If she doesn't like it, she can pick another.

ANYWAY, DH is thinking he'll give a hamster for the gift. I would be so PO'd if that's what I got. But he thinks thats the point. I need a creative, though not that creative, idea. So far I've come up with a pair of funny boxers and a thong (no idea if a male or female will draw the gift.)

Anyone?

pritchettzoo
12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Um, what will happen to the poor hamster after the exchange? I sure as heck don't want a hamster and would be pretty ticked off if I had to buy a cage (and clean it) and food and toys for the little guy until he naturally expired... Not to mention having to find a place where my cats wouldn't be stalking the poor guy as a midnight snack... I would hate to think of someone dumping a domesticated hamster out in the cold or worse...

DH's family had a gag gift exchange, and the annual stinker was a black velvet painting of the devil wearing a Santa hat, sitting on the toilet, smoking a cigarette, and drinking a beer. It is a family heirloom. I am so upset we haven't been a part of the festivities in a few years... ;) Then there's the Preparation H/enema gift basket (where we caught Grandma stealing the off-brand Preparation H).

I think the boxer/thong gift is cute. You could probably go to Spencer's Gifts (in most malls) and get some edible underpants or body icing or some toy/personal massager ;)). It could be used (or not) and you don't have to worry about PETA protesting your party...

Would DH get one of those annoying singing (stuffed fake) hamsters instead? I'm stuck on that poor hamster, I know!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

brubeck
12-13-2004, 11:15 PM
The previous poster was right about Spencer's. There are tons of great gag gifts there (not all so raunchy). How about a pet rock? An 'invisible hamster (ie: just a leash). 'Diet' candy (empty box)?

TaChapm
12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
We just did this last weekend. Our gag gift was a toilet brush, plunger, and Immodium AD (Pepto-Bismol or exlax would also go along with it). :) We got a great reaction. All are things that you will need at some point in time but they are hillarious as a gift. It was great to see the reaction from the people who won. :)
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
and Surprise! #2 EDD 6-28-05

http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/2/8/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050629/3/0/1/-6/.png

lmariana
12-14-2004, 08:19 AM
A favorite at our Christmas's is the remote controlled fart machine. Seriously, my father-in-law LOVES that thing, he even takes it on vacation and to work with him! We're buying him another one this year, because he gave his to his dad.

We like to hide the "noise maker" under someone's seat, and then wrap the remote. When they open the remote and press the button...the real "fun" begins.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

KBecks
12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Oh I hope your DH doesn't do the hamster -- the poor thing! And the poor person who will be left to care for it.

I'd suggest wrapping up nearly anything -- be a little crazy. You can just look around your house and wrap something up, such as...

Food items -- a few cans of soup, some crackers
Used books -- maybe a really strange or obscure topic?
Household items -- light bulbs, toilet bowl brush and cleaner

Practically anything will do. Have fun!

We did a white elephant exchange at church and some items were nice and others not. It was fun. I brought 2 items -- a glass ornament, and a conservative book that I knew would be a clunker to some of my church friends. Other presents were things like a trivet, poinsettia, Alaska travel book, and pound of coffee.