PDA

View Full Version : Should I be going to the Ped tomorrow? (Beware: Vomit Talk)

hez
12-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Payton's had three vomiting episodes in the span of about 25 minutes. The first woke him up in his crib (thanking my lucky stars he was willing to sleep alone for a little while tonight or the mess would have been in my bed). The second came about 10 minutes later. The third was 15 minutes later and horrible. 10+ retches that made me want to cry in sympathy.

He's being a trooper. He acted very normally in the bath we just took together, and isn't crying, doesn't seem to care if I push on his belly. He's had a runny nose for the last few days, and he coughed once yesterday, once today, and once just before the 2nd episode tonight. No fever that I can discern, and no rash. It's nothing like when he had reactions to eggs, for instance-- reminds me of when we got the stomach flu as kids.

He's sleeping in my arms now, very peacefully.

Obviously I'm keeping him home today (Tuesday), just not sure if I should be going in to the Ped. We've never had these symptoms before, and I'm not comfortable, especially b/c DH is out of town on business... The sites I took a quick look at aren't helping me feel better. Thoughts?

tippy
12-14-2004, 02:17 AM
Poor baby! And poor mommy! My ds had a vomiting, diarrhea bonanza when my dh was out of town so I know how you feel. Thankfully your ds was in his crib so it sounds like it was somewhat contained? I wouldn't be too worried if that is his only symptom. It sounds like something viral. I know in my neck of the woods there is some stomach thing going around that is pretty nasty and very contagious. If he keeps vomiting I would withhold all food and fluid for a few hours and then try to give him pedialyte 1 ounce at a time every few hours. If he can keep that down it will help with any dehydration. If he won't dring the liquid form they do make freezer pops. Good luck, hope he feels better soon.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

deborah_r
12-14-2004, 02:42 AM
I don't know what to do in that situation, but just wanted to say I hope the poor little guy is feeling better soon!

I just reread your post, and I guess if it was me, I would at least call and tell them what's going on with him, since you've never experienced this before.

Saartje
12-14-2004, 03:04 AM
Sounds just like what Isaac did last night. Once he felt better enough to nurse, he didn't throw up any more. I didn't even call the pediatrician today, since he was keeping liquids down and showing no signs of dehydration, which I think is the main concern with these stomach bugs.

AngelaS
12-14-2004, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't take my child in. I'd make sure to give them frequent sips of water, later try some plain toast and just ride it out.

hez
12-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Payton woke up at 3:30 and asked for water so I gave him a little-- then he asked to nurse. I tried to let him only nurse a little. He spit up around 4 (definitely not vomit, but definitely not normal procedure around here), then slept until 8.

He's now running around the 2nd floor chasing the dog, laughing out loud and shrieking. I'd say he's feeling a better. He's had water this morning, and a couple cheerios he snuck before I realized what he was up to. Think I'm going to hold off on food 'til 10 or 11, and will keep it simple today.

Blech. I know every kid gets these things, but a little selfish part of me wishes he'd gotten it while DH was here to help me. Here's the irony: I took my last unscheduled vacation day (use it or lose it) yesterday that I'd been saving in case Payton got sick, thinking I was home free 'til the end of the year with only 3 more days to work!

Oh-- and I accidentally learned that if you get the sheets & other clothes straight into the washer with Dreft & Biz (what I have on hand) all the stain comes out on the first wash. Looking for the positives I've learned from this :)

Thanks, mamas for your support. I will probably call the ped this morning just to satisfy the over-protective part of me!