PDA

View Full Version : Bladder of Kidney infections in toddlers- anyone?? Please send good thoughts/prayers our way!

sugarsnappea
12-14-2004, 07:34 AM
I took JG in to see the Dr. yesterday after 24 hours of a 102+ fever that was not reponding to Tylenol or Motrin. She was diagnosed with a bladder infection, and almost admitted to the hospital right then. There is a fear that the infection may have spread to her kidneys.
Her Dr. decided we would go the oral antibiotic route first and see what happens. My instructions were to bring her into the hospital immediately if her fever goes north of 102.5 on fever reducing medicine, or if she vomits. If she is admitted to the hospital, she will be put on IV antibiotics, and likely have to stay 2-3 days.

She woke this am, with 104.5 temp, after not being on any fever reducing meds for 8 hours. I immediately gave her a dose of Motrin, and just now another dose of Tylenol. Her temp is back down to 100. I hope we can control this ourselves, soon the antibiotics should start working..

Does anyone have experience with UTI's in children? I feel like such a bad Mama. I can't figure out how this could of happened. Anyway, please send positive thoughts, and prayers to Julia Grace. I so badly do not want her to have to go to the hospital. Thanks for listening.

jbowman
12-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Deb,

That's awful--poor Julia Grace! I hope she feels better quickly!

cuca_
12-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Poor Julia Grace!! I hope the antibiotics work quickly and that you can keep her fever under control. Feel better soon!!

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

brigmaman
12-14-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't have experience with these in toddlers- but noticed that you "feel like such a bad Mama." It is SO easy for bacteria to travel to that area. Don't beat yourself up- hopefully this will clear up with the first round of antibiotics and Julia Grace will be feeling 100% again!
Prayers for Julia...

egoldber
12-14-2004, 08:53 AM
My neighbor has 4 DDs, all of whom have had recurrent UTIs. Apparently the shape of an individual's urethra has a great deal to do with how easily you get UTIs. If caught early, the antibiotics work well.

And two of her DD's had recurrent UTIs that often led to kidney infections (and a couple hospital stays). They had what was known as bladder reflux, where urine refluxes from the bladder back up into the kidney leading to infection. They were both put on prophylactic doses of antibiotics until they were two.

amp
12-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Aww, mama, you didn't do anything wrong. Poor Julia Grace. I hope that you guys can control it at home where she feels most comfortable and that the antibiotics do their job quickly. I'll be thinking of her (and you). Hugs!

Moneypenny
12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
I don't have any experience with this as a mother, but when I was about 4 years old I had recurrent UTIs, a couple of which led to kidney infections. Apparently I had to be in the hospital a couple of times, but things cleared up by the time I started kindergarten and I haven't had any real problems with UTIs since then. I don't remember any of this now, so even though Julia Grace is probably feeling pretty crummy right now, I'm sure she'll be none the worse for wear. Don't feel like a bad mom - as a PP said, it's so easy for bacteria to get in that area it would be impossible for you to totally prevent it.

Sending good, healing thoughts to your DD,
Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

sugarsnappea
12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I have been beating myself up about this. :( I just spoke to the Dr. and he is happy with her progress. After things clear up, he wants her to have an ultrasound of her kidneys, and a VCUG (very unpleasant procedure where a catheter is inserted into the bladder) to check for the reflux that Beth mentioned. As I am not looking forward to those procedures, I am a little assured that we are home right now. I am co-hosting and catering the neighborhood cookie exchange tonight. Thankfully it is not at my home. I was about to throw in the towel, and just drop off the food. However, DH convinced me to wait and see what happens. He thinks it may be a good thing for me to go. So, we'll see...

Tondi G
12-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Aww poor little one. My Sister had UTI's and bladder infections a lot as a little girl. You should see about giving her more cranberry juice and no bubbles in the bath!

I'm glad you are managing it at home and hopefully she won't have to spend any time in the hospital any time soon! HUGS to her and you! These things are very common with little girls... don't beat yourself up momma.... you're doing the best you can!!!! Hope those antibiotics kick in soon and work their magic!!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05