PDA

View Full Version : How to help baby with a sore throat?

s_gosney
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Please help! Kylee is miserable. She has a terrible cough and every time she coughs, she cries, even if she's sleeping. I've been giving tylenol/motrin, but I'm wondering if there's something that will work better. TIA!

papal
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Poor baby. :(
What we do for babies and adults is to put a pinch of tumeric in warm milk and drink that. The tumeric is a natural anti-inflammatory.
Hot (as hot as you can stand) salt-water gargling for older people gives temporary relief.. but that is no help for K.

Hope she feels better soon. Make sure she gets plenty of fluids, especially bm is she is still nursing.

zuzu
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear Kylee is not feeling well. Sarah had something similar (with no other cold symptoms) a few weeks back, and all we could think to do was offer tylenol/advil and be sure to humidfy the room as much a possible. I'm going to remember the tumeric for next time. Thanks, Rahsmi!

Hope she feels better soon! :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

momma_boo
12-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Can she take some chicken soup?
I'm sure the warm broth would help to soothe her throat a little and I know they have done studies showing that chicken soup does have "good stuff" (very scientific terminology) in it to help fight colds.

Tondi G
12-14-2004, 01:35 PM
You might consider using a saline nasal spray drops in her nose..... it will coat her throat a bit like gargling with salt water!

My first thought was chicken soup..... it always seemed/seems to help DS when he has a sore throat! Also Warm peppermint tea... if she is over a year you could put a touch of honey in it or maybe a tiny bit of sugar to sweeten it a bit so she will like the taste!

Oh and vapor bath.... I know I feel better if I fill the sink and breathe in the vapors from that stuff if I am not feeling good.

If it doesn't get better soon you might want to see about taking her in... could be strep throat!

Poor little one.... I hope she is feeling better soon! DS and I just went to the ENT yesterday and we are both now taking Zithromax antibiotics cause we have sinus/throat issues. We waited 3 weeks with DS's cough and a week with mine..... something is going around that is NO fun!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

ellies mom
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Our DD was sick last weekend. We ended up giving her tylenol/motrin with a decongestent. The motrin alone didn't help her stuffy head, and the decongestent alone didn't help her sore throat. I'm just bummed that it took all day to figure out why she was still so miserable. It's so hard when the little ones are sick.