PDA

View Full Version : One year old temper tantrums - what do you do?

iujen94
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, my little angel is apparently well on his way to becoming a toddler. He recently turned one and is discovering the art of the temper tantrum. Not the hard core tantrums that I'm sure I'll experience later, but the kind where he just sobs/screams so uncontrollably that he turns all red and starts coughing sometimes! The most common cause is my having the nerve to put him down after I've been carrying him around. Taking things away from him will also set him off (this morning, it was part of last night's dinner that I missed when I was cleaning up, but he managed to find it right away and decided he wanted to eat it now!)

So my question is . . . how do you handle it? Ignore him? Try to distract him (our usual tactic - usually doesn't work!)? Give in (sometimes)? Suggestions, please!!!

mamaturk
12-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Hmm... I'm curious about this too!

writeleigh
12-15-2004, 12:43 AM
I've been having similar probs with Liam (13 months). I've read that he is too young to understand any kind of discipline or right and wrong type things, so the only thing to do is try and redirect/distract him. This works part of the time for me. Other times, I just have to deal with him crying. I often hug him and just let him get it out. I think it's largely frustration at not being able to communicate much.